My FIRST Jeep, BUILDING it my self..HELP. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My FIRST Jeep, BUILDING it my self..HELP.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
Nitronitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

LOL one that keeps a good charge

Really haven't had any problems with the one that was in my rig when I bought it -- so I wouldn't know.

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:29 PM   #17
the-newguy

Another question should a TJ 97 Ever be procharged, supercharged or turbo and if so which one and what makes a difference I'm making it a daily driver but also for off-road and so it will be souped-up as you can see. I'd just like to get the best gas mileage as I can without jeopardizing the fun and power. So is it possible do people do it?
the-newguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #18
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

congrats on getting in to a jeep, but it sounds like you have a lot to learn about them before you can jump in to all these mods you want to do. Like stated before, what kind of off roading will you do? You listed wanting 39" tires are you mud bogging in deep swamps ? if so a jeep isnt quite the right vehicle for that. and they do make superchargers for them but what motor do you have? 6 cylinder or 4? and no matter what you, the jeep wont ever get better gas milage than what it gets stock. it will just get worse when you add bigger tires and such. For good power and possibly better gas milage best bet is a good fuel injected v8 swap, which isn't cheap if you aren't doing it your self.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
the-newguy

Well I just moved down here to Miami Florida and I'm right by the Everglades so chances are I will be seeing some deep mud Boggs. But yes I am very new to the whole jeep scene and I deeply want to get involved because I've always wanted one and the idea of dredging through some mud blasting some Jason all Dean seems to appetizing to pass up. The jeep I'm looking at is a 1997 TJ with a clean title and it's completely stock with a six cylinder five speed transmission I've been working on the list of what I want to do since I posted a little better.
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
the-newguy

So a fuel injected V8 would be a good idea for better gas mileage? I was thought of the eight would take more?
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #21
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-newguy View Post
So im building my first jeep / car ever in my life. And at the moment its a clean stock 1997 yj. I've looked for a few parts online on some well know jeep parts manufactures and wanted to get some professional options if any of these items seem like a good idea to you guys. thanx again and i would LOVE to have some comments so i can know what to go for and what NOT to go for. here are the links im looking at for the kits.

18‘x39.5x15
http://4wheelonline.com/SuperSwamper...res.341.124016

Dana 44s fornt and back
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-dr...eep-axle-kits/

Performance chip
http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Jeep/Wrangler/

Hood lights
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...&t_pn=K%2fC127

Head lights
http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/44155

Roll Cage
http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/jeep...FQTd4AodhlcApA

Side Rails
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200865704071?hlp=false

Wheels - should i get real bolt action?
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/n...page.php?id=15

Suspension Lift Kit - Not hockey pucking it hahaha
http://www.extremeterrain.com/wrangl...its-4inch.html

Air Intake
http://www.protuninglab.com/injen-ai...-wrangler.html

Exhaust system kit
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-pe...haust-systems/

Brakes
http://www.shop.com/G2_Axle_DANA_35_...l?sourceid=298

im also thinking headers, clutch, tranny and the drive terrain but is there anything els i should upgrade before i add these parts on a stock 1997 yj?

Congrats on the new Jeep and welcome to the Forum! Looks like you have big plans in mind for your rig. First off, you should take the Jeep out and see what you like and don't like about it. It'll let you see how it handles off road and give you an idea of how to build it.

Since you live in Fl, you'll be seeing a good bit of mud and not many rocks or hills. So you won't be building your Jeep the same way someone in Utah builds his Jeep.

The TJ F.A.Q. Thread will answer a ton of your questions. Read and research as much as you can and you'll learn more than you can imagine. Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help out.

-Zach
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #22
the-newguy

Okay I Appreciate it Zack I'll definitely find a good place I can take her out for a good first date and see how things go if they go smooth or not before I start just dropping things in the engine bay. I'm leaning more towards muddy off-road backroad trailing then rockclimbing since I'm in Florida and or bog diving but I'd still like to get her feet wet. How many inches wide are those tires that I linked?
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
the-newguy

Since your refuting to a v8 fuel injected for better gas mileage on those size tires dose that mean a hemi Since its dodge? Even though jeep wasn't bought by them yet in 1997? Or would a hemi be worse?
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Basically i mentioned a v8 because when you start adding all the off road goodies of bigger tires and what not gas milage will drop with the 6cyl because it is struggling ti move it around, but since a v8 would work less it would be better milage. but the cost of a swap is not worth the savings you get by just gas milage, it is expensive to do any v8 swap. like said you need to get out and see how it does and what other jeeps in your area of wheeling are built like. If you are in the area of wheeling where people are driving the 'mud buggy's' or basically a platform atop a truck chassis with tractor tires then a jeep might not be the best platform. but if your doing muddy trails and not just giant mud lakes then you will be ok.
Honestly, for most cases a tj on 35's and built well for the area of wheeling should be good, and 35" tires require a good bit of upgrades, but to go any bigger requires a lot more done to a jeep. Maybe consider a snorkel for the swampy mud trails that I imagine florida having.

Any accessories are all up to you, but in my opinion a decent start if 35" tires would be suitable would be roughly 3-4" suspension lift and a 1-2" body lift combined with a snorkel for deep water, and any other accessories you see fit to make it yours.
Back to the motor, there is not much that can be done to get more HP out of the stock motor unless you have it rebuilt and stroked to a 4.6L or bigger, or swap a v8 in place. Gas milage will never get better than stock because its a jeep and bigger tires just make the milage go down because it is shaped like a brick.

hopefully some of this helps you with some things to consider
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #25
the-newguy

I've heard about these magical things what is a body kit? And how is it different from a suspension lift?
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #26
fishtaconc
2004 WJ 

Body lift does just that, it places spacers between the frame and body tub.. a suspension lift uses taller suspension components to raise both frame and body. Just remember no matter how much lift whether suspension or body your axles remain at the same height until you go to taller tires. Good luck with your build.
fishtaconc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #27
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay I Appreciate it Zack I'll definitely find a good place I can take her out for a good first date and see how things go if they go smooth or not before I start just dropping things in the engine bay. I'm leaning more towards muddy off-road backroad trailing then rockclimbing since I'm in Florida and or bog diving but I'd still like to get her feet wet. How many inches wide are those tires that I linked?
The ones you posted were actually a 39.5" tall by 15" wide. Those are a huge tire which require a good bit of work to get them to fit and work properly. As I and Jeepbro's said, the best thing for you to do is take the Jeep out as it is. You'll be amazed by what it's capable of.

Then you'll see that maybe you need some bigger tires to get through that trail a little easier. Then you go back out and realize you need a lift to clear the tires. Then it may be gears and axles to get your power back.

A great place to start is our Jeep Club Directory. There are a ton of Jeep clubs listed and I'm sure you can find one near you. Then just get in contact with them and they'll be more than happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

-Zach
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #28
Nitronitty
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah IMO the best thing you can do is find and join a local Jeep club and then go on trail rides and meetups with club members. . . to me this is the MOST IMPORTANT thing and should be done before going crazy with upgrades.

Meeting with others in your local community is Invaluable.

The Forum is great for some things but should NEVER replace being part of a club

Nitty
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
the-newguy

Okay what I want to do to make my jeep is have it look like this

http://www.modifiedcartrader.com/for...-Jeep-Wrangler

Minus the color red but make it bright orange and minus the lights on top. What size tires are these cause I'm starting to think those are not! 39 inch tires?

And I just found my First jeep club Near me, It'll be my first real off roading experience

>giving a nabiors back when I was in high school a lawn job Dosnt count I take it<

!!!!!!! I hope I can get in!!

now you guys have got me lookin at hemi engines for sale since the 6 cylinder would be struggling with big tires and i want decent gas milage

Last edited by the-newguy; 05-14-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #30
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay what I want to do to make my jeep is have it look like this

http://www.modifiedcartrader.com/for...-Jeep-Wrangler

Minus the color red but make it bright orange and minus the lights on top. What size tires are these cause I'm starting to think those are not! 39 inch tires?

And I just found my First jeep club Near me, It'll be my first real off roading experience

>giving a nabiors back when I was in high school a lawn job Dosnt count I take it<

!!!!!!! I hope I can get in!!

now you guys have got me lookin at hemi engines for sale since the 6 cylinder would be struggling with big tires and i want decent gas milage
Wow, that's a pretty big Jeep. It definitely takes a lot of work and time to get a Jeep to that level. Not saying it's not possible, but it will take a god bit of time.

Good luck with the Jeep Club! Most clubs are full of great people who are more than willing to help out. I haven't met a club that wasn't full of super nice people!

-Zach

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.