My first Jeep 1996 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My first Jeep 1996 XJ

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
jackel44
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My first Jeep 1996 XJ

I have a 96 XJ 2.5 5 speed, that I bought from an impound yard. The front drive shaft was missing. I changed the engine oil, flushed the radiator, replaced the thermostat, changed the transfer case fluid, and check oil levels on the diffs.

The problems it had was the previous owner removed all the heater controls, to make room for his huge stereo. It had also the floor rusted completely through.

The only thing that is not stock, is 225 75 r16 tires. I plan on using it for a daily driver, the only time I would use the 4 wheel drive is in the winter time and when I put my jet ski in the water at a sandy beach. I will do some small amount of off-roading when I go hunting.

jackel44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
jackel44
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went to the junkyard and got a new dash trim piece and heater controls. When I had the dash apart I noticed that the heater wires were toasted. I wired the circuit with a set of relays, so the amperage does not go through the selector switch. I can draw up the schematic if anyone is interested.

Since I had the dash out I removed the seats and carpet and ground out all the rust on the floor boards. I sheeted it with anodized aluminum sheet metal and screwed and glued it in.

Sorry no pictures.
jackel44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.