My first Jeep 1996 XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
jackel44
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My first Jeep 1996 XJ

I have a 96 XJ 2.5 5 speed, that I bought from an impound yard. The front drive shaft was missing. I changed the engine oil, flushed the radiator, replaced the thermostat, changed the transfer case fluid, and check oil levels on the diffs.

The problems it had was the previous owner removed all the heater controls, to make room for his huge stereo. It had also the floor rusted completely through.

The only thing that is not stock, is 225 75 r16 tires. I plan on using it for a daily driver, the only time I would use the 4 wheel drive is in the winter time and when I put my jet ski in the water at a sandy beach. I will do some small amount of off-roading when I go hunting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-07-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
jackel44
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I went to the junkyard and got a new dash trim piece and heater controls. When I had the dash apart I noticed that the heater wires were toasted. I wired the circuit with a set of relays, so the amperage does not go through the selector switch. I can draw up the schematic if anyone is interested.

Since I had the dash out I removed the seats and carpet and ground out all the rust on the floor boards. I sheeted it with anodized aluminum sheet metal and screwed and glued it in.

Sorry no pictures.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.