My Dream XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My Dream XJ

I just bought a new XJ and I am so excited. This has been my dream car for years, and I am so happy to finally own one. I was able to pick it up pretty cheap because the trans is junk. However, everything else is pretty well sorted. It's got a Jasper motor that doesn't leak at all, and a rebuilt NP231. It's long armed at 4" with a custom track bar setup. The plan going forward is pretty straightforward.

Phase 1
- Replace trans
- Replace windshield(completely cracked)
- Exhaust(open headers at the moment)
- Maintence(fluids, grease, filters, tune up)
- Good interior detail

Phase 2
- Paint(faded on roof)
- Broken interior trim
- Bushwackers(no flares right now, on 33s with a bunch of travel so a bit afraid to cut tires. Rears are already rolled, so might try to roll fronts- not sure how difficult this is.)
- Winch(has a JCR bumper, didn't come with winch)

Phase 3
- Rear bumper(hoping to find a matching JCR bumper, but can spring $1200, where can I get one used?, need to get the spare out of the trunk)
- Lighting(has a light bar mount, prewired, and cube holes in the bumper. Want to do rock lights as well.)
- CB

Phase one will happen ASAP. Phase two happens once I save some more money. Phase three happens sometime after that. Really looking forward to getting it driving cause right now it is just a money pit that's stressing me out.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 07:22 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a good looking XJ there.
Generally the rear quarters get folded during a trim because it's a joining point for two separate pieces of sheet metal that need to remain connected, and the fronts just get trimmed with a sheet metal jigsaw blade. Following the line of the factory flare is a good place to start.
Keep an eye on craigslist for that matching rear bumper. It took a while but I found a matched pair of Warn bumpers for my daily driver XJ at such a steal of deal that I drove halfway across the state to pick them up.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up a used aw4 today to put in it. Will need a good clean with some degreaser. Now I just gotta figure out who's gonna install it.
Attached Images

post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sent my Jeep off to the shop today for trans install. Had it at home for a couple of days so I gave it a vacuum and wipe down that didn't help much. It needs a strong carpet/seat clean, and something much stronger than Clorox wipes on the plastic. Good news and bad new on my seats. Front seats had covers on from PO, and they are immaculate. Driver side has a one inch crack, and passenger is perfect. Bad news is the drivers seat is not stock, and broken. I think it's out of a ZJ cause it has an adjustable headrest. I forgot to take a picture cause the seats were out of the car. I will add one when its back from the shop. Also, drivers seat metal was broken, so it was shaking pretty badly. Temp fix is a piece of metal below the bolt to stretch out the stress(see pic). Will hold till I get a new seat. The list of things to fix keeps getting longer and longer. Good news is I got a tag for it today without having to get it inspected. First step is to get the inside good and clean.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-18-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is officially back home and registered. Now I'm dealing electrical gremlins. Thought the battery was dead because it sat since October. However, I tested it this morning and it's testing around 75% life. It read 12.39 volts at 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I drove it for the first time last night, parked it and it immediately died. No lights or starter noise at all. It's got some sort of aftermarket remote start wired in, and I think I might have blown one of the fuses for it. Chasing that when I get home today.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fixed the wiring issue and now it's great! Turns out the negative battery terminal and cables were very corroded. I sanded them as a temporary fix, which should hold me for a little bit. Finally got to take it for a real drive today and it's great! Bit of a mess with no swaybars but I'll get used to it(or get swaybars). On the upside, the radio decided to come back from the dead, so I had music. Also, it's on open headers, so it sounds awesome. I know this is illegal, and I'm working to fix it, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-26-2016, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The XJ decided to eat it's fan shroud on the highway the other day, as well as the coolant overflow return line. Had to replace both of those, and tightened the electric fan up as much as I could. It's missing the bottom clip so it's still a bit loose. Next comes the leaking rear main seal.

- SOLD
post #8 of 14 Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Realized I still haven't updated with fixes. I replaced the rear main seal and changed oil about 4 weeks ago. It was a huge pain becuase one of the fel pro snap ups decided to get stuck so we had to drill it to shreds. Whole install took me about 14 hours. Also had problems becuase the rear main seal had the tabs which we had to cut off. Seems to be working fine though.

- SOLD
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Finally gave it a good clean yesterday. Still smells a bit so might have to try something more agressive but definitely looks cleaner. Also ordered parts for exhaust and they come tomorrow.

- SOLD
post #10 of 14 Old 06-25-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Been out of town and finally got the exhaust on today. Still cannot find where the o2 sensor plugs in(think the plug is cut off) so I will have to deal with that at some point soon. Also didn't put the stick on heat shield on cause I want to clean it first. I put a stock cat on with a Dynomax cat back. Very happy with how it sounds; not too loud at idle but you can hear it when you get on it. Big shoutout to bluejunior for his help/advice on this. Also seems to have developed some kind of light knock(engine?) and it is still running really rich so I will have to diagnose it. Feel free to chime in if you have any ideas as to what it is. I will post a video of the exhaust once I figure that out.

- SOLD
post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 AM
LI_DSM

I laughed when I read the end of your first post "..right now it is just a money pit that's stressing me out". Thats never going to go away. If its not stressing you because its broken itl be stressing you trying to figure out what parts you want to buy for it next lol. Goodluck with the build!
post #12 of 14 Old 09-19-2016, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have been gone but had someone rotate/balance tires for me and that's cured some of the tire vibes I've been experiencing. Basically when decelerating to 43-45 it would vibe really bad from the front left. Tire shop said it was because the tires really needed to be rotated and were cupping really bad. They recommended rotating MTs every 2-3k, so I will start doing them with every oil change, at least as long those tires last. They gave me a good deal though. $30 for the whole thing and they put in at least an hour and a half of labor. I think I will be going to 33x10.5 ko2s next time because most of my driving is on road. Not sure what backspacing my wheels are right now but I'm guessing about 3.5" so I might go to a 4-4.5" wheel to help with drivability. Another positive note is CEL still isn't getting thrown yet even though it's missing an 02 sensor. Sorry for the long time between updates but I was contemplating selling it and maybe getting a new one but that didn't work out so I think I will keep it and fix it. I'm more of an expo guy and the shell/interior is a bit beat so I was contemplating getting a new shell but this one is straight and totally saveable so there might be a dramatic remake in the future when more money arrives. We shall see. Next up on the list is a front swaybar when I go home. I will finally post an exhaust video as promised too.

- SOLD
post #13 of 14 Old 01-05-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Need to update this to reflect the past couple of months. The XJ got a new windshield and some wipers, and I replaced the lock rod so now all the locks work. Also added some of the custom fit weathertechs as well.

- SOLD
post #14 of 14 Old 01-05-2017, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
wtr10968
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Last post in this build thread. Sold the XJ today so she is at a new home now. Perhaps we will see her on here again.

- SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.