MY digital camo flatfendered TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > MY digital camo flatfendered TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #16
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome work.

Unread 10-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
TJs06TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That is too cool man. Its always nice to see someone do something different from the norm. I wish I had the tools to do fab work. Great job.
T.J.s 06 SOLAR YELLOW TJ "SWINDLE"
Yellow Jeep Club Member #388291416
2001 Dodge Dakota QC Sport
TJs06TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #18
az357mag
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i love it. wish i could afford to do mine like that. props man
-Justin- NIGHTCREW #055
"Cherry" 1996 XJ 4.0 i-six, 3" pro comp lift, 31" Bridgestone A/T on TJ alloys, Wilderness roof rack, K&N intake, Poweraid throttle spacer, MSD ignition, Flowmaster exhaust, BAJA lights and KC daylighters

build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1996-xj-653391/
az357mag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
mikes_muse

I'm not gonna lie. I don't care for the camoflage or the fenders really. That said, the work you did looks extremely well done and professional. It looks like it came from the factory. So...
mikes_muse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
Fflintstone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

lots of hard work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12010 View Post
How did you do the fenders? Did you start with the stockers and cut them up or did you start from scratch. Can you make me a set.
The fenders were fabed from the original fenders. In fact they never even came off the jeep. If you go to the second photobucket link there are 5 pages of photos, alot showing the fabrication of the hood scoop, front and rear fenders. I could make ones like mine but I would have to charge as much or more than comericaly available ones. I didnt know there were willys style fenders available till this morning when I looked at tatooweenys miltary jeep thread. Regardless, I still would have made my own, (because I can) but mainly because I am flipin' broke, and I did the entire conversion (paint and all) for less than the cost of a pair of "comercial" flat fenders.
There are more mods planed but for now that will have to do. feel free to ask any questions, I had alot of fun doing this.

Screw it I'm too old for this crap!
Fflintstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #21
Fflintstone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_muse View Post
I'm not gonna lie. I don't care for the camoflage or the fenders really. That said, the work you did looks extremely well done and professional. It looks like it came from the factory. So...
THANKS! I really appreciate all the positive comments, the above complement is great. I myself think that camo jeeps are overdone, but I have never seen a digital camo vehicle. I was going for the "if willys still made jeeps for the military" look. I take allot of pride in this and all of the other jeeps I have had.
I feel it is one thing to order several thousand dollars worth of stuff from a catalogue and bolt them up. It is something else entirely to cut, bend, form, weld, and paint metal. I am a firm believer in “real jeeps are built not bought” I have owned many jeeps, from a 46 CJ2A with a V6 to a scrambler with a V8, to my current wrangler.

If you would like to se some of my other jeeps you can check out the slideshow on my MYSPACE page. Look up "Crusty Old Curmudgeon"
thanks again for all the positve comments.

Unread 10-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #22
default_user
It's a Roobicon

very original...and the intake is awesome
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #23
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

that hood scoop is a nifty idea, you should fabricate kits and sell them

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #24
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love the scoop could you maybe post a wright up on how you did it its just to cool
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #25
Fflintstone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I will try to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackcammel View Post
I love the scoop could you maybe post a wright up on how you did it its just to cool
I dont have enought posts to put a picture in here but

if you go to my main photbucket page
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...20Restoration/
there are 5 pages of photos, lots of the hoodscoop. I started with the front corner of a yj hood I bought for $10 from a fire jeep. cut bigger than you need.
start hammering against a round dolly. keep stopping and check for fit. make a cardbord template for the rear. weld that on, grind it smooth. then tweek the fit to the hood, weld it to the hood. clean the weld (I sandblasted) I first put a layer of REAL fiberglass on the seams, a rough sand, then duraglass, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, epoxy primer, sand ,spot putty, you know the drill, very labor intensive.

Last edited by Fflintstone; 10-11-2008 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: grammar
Unread 10-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #26
1BadTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

the digi camo is cool, can you describe the pattern process in case i wanna copy your idea.
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:11 AM   #27
Fflintstone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadTJ View Post
the digi camo is cool, can you describe the pattern process in case i wanna copy your idea.
this webpage was my first stop, and other stuff on olivedrab.com as well.

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_camo.php3

there are no digital camo "patterns" for vehicles, so I had to wing it.
on a three color camo you want to paint the whole vehicle the lightest color first. then the next darkest, then the darkest. I tried to strive for about 50% desert C.A.R.C. tan, then about 35% of the tan/green mix and about 15% of the olivedrab. if you are useing more than 3 colors you would still go from light to dark in decreasing amounts. you will go thru ALOT of painters masking tape and paper.
real army acu camo is not perfict, squares so doing it all freehand actualy works to your advantage. but you do have to be able to visualize the end result. after I laid on the second color i tooks some pic's (see the main photo bucket link) and maped out the areas for the olive drab green.
buy a yard of material in the pattern you like and stare at it for a while.

I am thinking about adding a fourth color next spring (I dont have a paint booth, I did it all in my driveway) the color will be in between the the light and dark green and will help to break it up even futher.
I have alot more planed for the jeep, but I did this all for next to nothing and I am broke right now. I havent even bought $16 fog light's for the holes in the bumper. I am selling all the stuff I pulled off on craigslist to start a fund for more parts for supplys, but money seems to be needed for other things.
over the winter I am going to try to make my own seatcovers. I have digital acu fabric.

I hope this helps you.

Unread 10-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #28
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

by far the nicest camo job ive ever seen
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, very nice
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #30
Yesfan70
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Don't take this personally, but I think I would ditch the chrome on the bezels and on the grill. That would give it a more authentic look, imo.

Besides those two things, very impressive work. Looks like a real military issued Jeep.
Blue Jeep Club Member #193

Only in a Jeep...
Yesfan70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.