My custom air intake-built and installed last night - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My custom air intake-built and installed last night

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 02-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
Cuesoccer24
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My custom air intake-built and installed last night

Hey fellow jeepers...just wanted to share with you the custom air intake I built out of pvc pipe and random plumbing supplies my dad had stored in the basement.
First, ill share with you the parts list.
1. 6 ft PVC sched 40 3" (guy at hardware store sold me 6 ft for $6...win)
2. 2 90* elbows (one male to female and one female to female) $7
3. 1 45* elbow (male to female) $3
4. 1 3"-2" rubber coupling $3
5. Spectre air filter $20 at autozone
6. Sink hose line 12" free
7. Shower hose line 30" free
8. Hi-temp spray paint $3

Ill try to lay out the steps on installation the best I can for you guys.

1. Loosely assemble all pvc to specifications and length you want either across the engine bay over the valve cover or just straight down to where the old stock air box was (whatever you prefer, might be much less expensive if you only go 2 ft towards stock air box).
This was the assembly before I matched it up in the engine bay.

If you can see the little black marks of sharpie, this was how I lined up the pieces so it would fit into the open space down on the passenger side of the engine bay. All the pieces are not glued at this point.

2. Next I had to search through all the odds and ends of my dads plumbing supplies and get lucky to find the pieces I needed to attach to the straight pipe for the vacuum lines.

3. I found what I needed and took my drill and put a couple holes in the straight pipe. I don't know what all these pieces are called and if they have names so ill just name them to the best of my knowledge.
This was the first hole into the straight pipe I drilled to be used for the vacuum line that went to the evap/egr (im not sure what that part is called) which sat behind the washer and antifreeze fluid tanks.

I drilled a hole just big enough to make it fit then I took a hammer and made sure it fit all the way into the pipe (it didn't sit flush because the PVC is obviously round shape and the piece had a flat top.
The second hole was for the pcv valve. I used a copper fitting with threads on top so I could attach my new hose (line that would originally be used for water lines in household kitchen sinks-works wonders)
In this picture, I already put the shower hose into the first hole so I didn't have to wedge that in while installing in the engine compartment.
Also, you may or may remember, but the fitting I used to put into the pipe from the first drilled hole was gold in color, I had to use a copper clamp and bend it around the fitting so it would stay in place. It was coming loose and that's why I used that with a small screw and some crazy glue to keep it intact.

4. After both holes were drilled, this is when I started to line up the first 90* elbow onto the throttle body and also put the straight pipe into the elbow with the vacuum lines installed.

This is a picture of the pcv valve with the hose loosely attached that will lead into the straight pipe (I didn't put a hose clamp on it yet).

Here is a close up.
\

Here are the two hoses with fittings in the straight pipe.

When I took the stock vacuum lines off, I had to find another rubber fitting for the (evap/egr?) piece to be attached because the old rubber fitting would not attach to the new hose-it was too small haha. Here is a close up of that with two clamps installed.

5. Once I had both lines in place, and the pieces all lined up, it was time for the pvc glue to be applied. I installed one piece at a time starting rom the throttle body all the way to the filter just incase I messed up. I don't have piece by piece assembly pictures, but you can see each one in the final picture.
This was when it was fresh paint and had not dried yet.

I only had hose clamp and a weird plastic j-hook that I found in the basement to hold up the pipe and filter so it would sit on the oil dipstick or sag to low near the passenger wheel well. I will find brackets coming up soon when I get the time.

Here is the final product when the paint dried...came out great in flat black!!

Outside the garage pics.

Thanks for looking guys. I used the design from another forum member and tweaked it a little myself so thank you YJman for that. Please feel free to take the idea and build your own, it was a fun project to work on and it was cheap.

I did this to try and gain some mpg's and also to make the engine look a little bit more bada$$. So please, if you have any negative comments or criticism keep it to your self.

Cuesoccer24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
Cuesoccer24
1995 YJ Wrangler 

hope this write up will help a fellow jeeper make and install one in their jeep
Cuesoccer24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.