My Colorado Crawler - 2003 Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Colorado Crawler - 2003 Wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-28-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
foco
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My Colorado Crawler - 2003 Wrangler

I lost my Camry to a hail storm that totaled it.

I've been wanting a vehicle that can take me to the camping spots where RVs won't be found. The kind where you have to dig a hole to poop.

So, when I found a good deal on a clean TJ, I jumped on it.

It's completely stock, with the exception of the wheels.

2014-09-28.jpg  
foco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
foco
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Plans

Teraflex 3" Lift
RockKrawler adjustable control arms
Slip yoke eliminator
Tom Woods drive shaft
JKS Trackbar
33" Goodyear Duratracs
1" body lift
Q-tech 9500i winch
ARB bumper
Garvin Wilderness roof rack
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
TheCatman
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed, this sounds like my kind of build!
TheCatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
foco
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The last few weeks have been a complete learning experience for me. I feel like I've researched every aspect of components involved in Jeep lifts, only to learn that I have so much more to learn.

Take backspacing, for example. I began to read that 12.5" tires are going to need 4" or less of backspacing.

Well, I knew from the build sheet on my Jeep that it came with Canyon wheels, so I knew that the ones I had weren't stock. I had no idea what brand they were or what the backspacing might be on them. But the guy I bought it from made sure I knew that the tires on it were from Discount Tire and that the paperwork was in the glove box.

So, I grabbed the paperwork and began to decipher the line items, hoping there might be an indication of backspacing somewhere so I could figure out which if I could use an adapter plate.
Qty: 5... Mfg/Model: Unique 297... Size: 15x7 -- wait, what? 7" wheels?

So, now I'm adding new wheels. I'll probably go with some basic 5x8 Pro Comp steelies with a 3.75 backspacing.

I'll probably have to hold off on one of the lift items because of this since its not budgeted. Either the trackbar or the front control arms.

Anyone have any suggestions as to which item would be best to wait on?
Unread 11-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
foco
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, my plans changed drastically over the last couple of months.

I decided to completely hold off on lifting for now.

Instead, I decided to go more LCoG route and picked up a set of MetalCloaks to stick my 33's under.

The new tires are significantly larger than my old tires

I've decided to try and maintain the "spirit" of my Sahara edition TJ as much as possible. Since the Sahara came with color matched fenders, I color matched my MetalCloaks.

Of course then came the fun part. Jeep taking-apartiness

And putting it back together

And finally, 33" goodness

I still need to install my rear fenders, which might happen this weekend.

But this weekend is for sure maintenance weekend -- differential fluids, oil change, transfer case fluids, etc. If there's any time left for installation, then the fenders will get mounted.

What's next after all this? LoD Offroad Signature rear bumper with tire carrier and cargo carrier. Since I don't want to put a 33 on my gate, I have the old spare mounted; I call it my donut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.