My College TJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My College TJ Build

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 12-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #1
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My College TJ Build

Hi there!
I figured I should start this while I'm relatively new, and can get plenty of help and advice as I go, so I can avoid poor decisions

I'm a sophomore in college at Boise State University, and my build reflects upon my income.

I purchased my Yellow 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport about 2 and a half months ago. Had to drive 4 hours there and back to check it out, and again to buy it.

Heres the picture from the original craigslist ad.

20k miles
5 speed
Dana 30/44
3.73 Gears
4" Superlift
33" Tires
15x10 Cragar D windows
Warn Rock Sliders
K&N Filter
Mopar add-a-trunk
Fire extinguisher

I have a whole list of plans for what I want to do...but don't really know where my priorities should lie.

For sure Want: New wheels and tires, rear bumper w/ tire carrier

Thinking about: Aussie locker up front, KC lights, Regearing to 4.56, scrapping the superlift and getting a nicer lift kit (soooo much money!), CB radio

Near future to do list: take off the ridiculous nerf bars, but PO welded em on, so I need a grinder to take care of that job, Get new shocks

Last edited by Hobojo; 02-01-2010 at 05:10 PM..
Hobojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A few more pics

My first time out with it:

A later trip:

My first run with an organized club:

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My first modifications, after lots of reading and researching, was to trim the flares, and hit them, as well as the headlight bezels with some satin Krylon Fusion.

I also took off the hi-jack from the front bumper.

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Next, I picked up a Stock '04 Rubicon Air Box, I intend to use this to replace the K&N the previous owner put it on.

I had a local guy fab me up a front bumper, complete with light tabs, winch plate, D-Ring mounts, and fairlead mount for $200.
Just hit it with the rattle can last night.

Gotta get these nerf bars off.

Unread 12-13-2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

So next on my list after finals week, and over Christmas break, is to get my new bumper on, stock air box in, and the Nerf bars ground off. From there who knows...I'm looking at KC Slimlights for my bumper, I have a Smittybilt XRC-8 enroute from 4wheelparts, and I'd like to get a rear bumper/tire carrier, as well as looking into welding a step onto my Warn Rockers.

Criticism, advice, comments, all are welcome! Just don't try to kill me, I've only had it 2 months and It's a work in progress!
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
2000XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Want to get that guy to fab me a front bumper for 200 bucks? Looks real good. Nice TJ man.
2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #7
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That bumper looks really good. Is there a reason why your nerf bars were welded on.
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
MisterO

jeep is lookin great!
Nice job trimming the flares, now looks like you need bigger tires

get to work on those nerf bars, and id love to see a step on those warn rockers..
oh and nice bumper too!
MisterO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flares look great. I agree about taking those nerf bars off! ick
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good so far man, I really like where you are going with your plans as well. Doesn't it suck having to wait until you are home on break to do any real work? Over winter break I have to wire up my locker, possibly a reverse light, install any parts I get for xmas (hoping for tummy tuck and SYE, maybe some control arms too if I'm lucky) and I have to replace a rear axle for a local guy. Its gonna be a busy break
Dmcastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsc View Post
That bumper looks really good. Is there a reason why your nerf bars were welded on.
I know the first owner wheeled it a bit, he took it to moab twice. He is the one who did the lift, rockers, and tires.

The second owner was an old doctor, and he probably just wanted the Nerf bar as a sturdy step...why it needed to be welded, I have no idea.

I'm still amazed its an 8 year old jeep on its third owner, and it just broke 20,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongJeep04 View Post
jeep is lookin great!
Nice job trimming the flares, now looks like you need bigger tires

get to work on those nerf bars, and id love to see a step on those warn rockers..
oh and nice bumper too!
I'd love to go to 35's but then I'd have to worry about bigger brakes, bigger steering, bigger gears, and a whole other mess of problems.

There is no way I could budget that, and since it's my DD I couldnt just set it aside until it was all completed
Unread 12-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #12
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got some stuff done.

New Stickers

K&N Before

Stock Air Box After

Bumper Head On

Bumper Profile

Bumper 45* Angle

Those are the stock fog lights not hooked up, they'll just sit there until I can get my KC Slimlights. The license plate over the fairlead is also temporary, until I get my winch.

Not sure if I want Driving lights or Fog lights though...anybody have some advice there?

Also took the towing hitch off the back, no pics though.

Hopefully I can get the nerf bars off in the next few weeks, and I should get my XRC-8 for Christmas in a week
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:47 PM   #13
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Christmas gift!

Got my Smittybilt XRC-8 on today

Need to get a cover for it, and I'm working on making a flipping mounted front license plate bracket.

I'm going to follow this write-up somewhat...but flipping down instead of up, due to the lights being in the way.
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #14
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much done with my license plate.

Just gotta grab 2 more screws, and paint!
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
g-off70
2000 WJ 

going good. got to keep up with this one
g-off70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.