My CJ5 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My CJ5 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier

Tactical Recovery Equipment Soft Shackles!!!50% Off Sale at KrawlOff-Road.com50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring Kit

Unread 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

My CJ5 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier

I thought I would sit down & share how I went about building my rear bumper & swing out tire carrier. I stumbled upon a DIY bumper kit from Iron Scorpion, and decided to build one instead of purchasing a completed bumper that I would have to modify anyway in order to fit my cj5. I also decided to get their rear cross-member heavy duty support kit as well. Instructions (diagrams) on piece assembly are included with the kit.

Bumper kit (pic from their website):

Cross-member support kt (pic from their website):

Start of the build:

Once the support pieces & the main pull-point bulkheads were fully welded and mounted together, I was then able to start fabricating the main body of the bumper.

dnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

I removed the gas tank in order to maximize the work area behind & around the cross-member. I figured this would help due to the fact that I knew I was going to be bolting & unbolting a lot......I was right. I do think though looking back on it that it would be possible to do this entire build without dropping the gas tank. I was just able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone; I was going to install new fuel lines & other things at the same time while I had the tank dropped.
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

A 3lb dead-blow hammer & large pipe wrench is all I used to encourage the metal where to go:

Unread 03-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Ok, let's continue:

(The majority of time is spent test fitting/tack welding)

Now work commenses on the outer tappered corners (these areas took the most time and attention)

The most annoying part was that my welder kept tripping the breaker, so I never was able to do more than a 2"-3" continuous bead

Unread 03-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Thanks again for putting this up, this will be a project for me for sure.
mat8828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

No problem Matt, glad to.
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Once the bumper was fully tack welded together, I worked on the spindle location & install for the swing-out tire carrier. I picked-up a heavy duty spindle from At o Z Fabrication here: http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/home.php?cat=263

After the spindle was tacked into place it was time to go over the entire bumper and fully weld every seam. Then the real "work" began......grinding, grinding, and more grinding.

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

After I pretty much made everything smooth it was now time to work on the swing-out tire carrier (adding the pull-point (clevis mounts) reinforcement pieces; two pieces sandwiching the first). I decided to use 2x3 & 2x2 tubing to fabricate the carrier.

After the main swing-out arm was welded-up, I could then mount the bumper and work on the rest of the carrier (location of tire and all). I was also able to relocate my back-up lights to the new bumper. I also got the tire carrier mounting plate & studs from A to Z Fabrication as well.

Unread 03-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

I used Duplicolor Bed Armor

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
dnjeep
1976 CJ5 

Here's how it looks today...now all I need is to decide on a spare.

I welded 2 chain links to the underside on either side of the receiver in order to hook the trailer chains.

I wanted to leave the main vertical support piece of the tire carrier open so I could add some accessories in the future (rack system that would go above the tire, hi-lift jack mount, etc...). I had to trim down a standard 2" hitch receiver cover in order for it to fit in the 1.75x1.75 opening of the 2x2 tubing. This will be used when the future accessories are not installed (I want the flexibility of not permanentally installing the rack & other items).

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

bumper looks great, I built something similar to this for my 84 4runner. I am not a fan of this style of bumper for my current rig due to weight and loss of ground clearance/departure angle but I commend your building it yourself, turned out great!

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, Id spend six sharpening my axe.- Abraham Lincoln

My Build

My Videos

My Work

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 04:31 PM   #12
chopped50ford
1975 CJ5 

i looked up Iron Scorpion with no luck on the bumper kit, can you post information to get ahold of them.

I like the set-up, very clean and Sano...

thanks in advance
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
JeepdaddyRC
1983 CJ5 

Holy cow! Awesome bumper! We used to use a "slam latch". How did you choose this latch? Are those 3/4 clevis mounts?
JeepdaddyRC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
mat8828
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopped50ford
i looked up Iron Scorpion with no luck on the bumper kit, can you post information to get ahold of them. I like the set-up, very clean and Sano... thanks in advance
http://www.ironscorpion.com/zen/

Here's the link, I used their kit as well. It is an awesome design. Make sure and get the frame tie ins as well.
mat8828 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
chopped50ford
1975 CJ5 

Thank You, good link there
chopped50ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.