My Build. . So Far - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Build. . So Far

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSave on Warn Winches and TENOFF Promotion!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
98XJ1C4

My Build. . 98 XJ

So, the last few weeks when I wasn't training all over the place, this has been my other job. So with any fairytale story (hopefully this is), it has to begin somewhere. I bought this last month for $1300. The kid said that it had an overheating problem. So when I got it, it didn't run either. . . . and that's where the project began.

Specs:
98 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4WD
Green

So once I got it home, I immediately replaced the following:
New Battery
Thermostat
Spark Plugs
Plug Wires
Distributor Cap and Rotor
Crank Position Sensor
New Fuel Pump Assy
Air Filter
Changed the Oil/ Filter
Topped off the coolant

That night I ordered:
31" Treadwrights
Procomp 15x8 Black Wheels
Rusty's 3" Full Leaf Lift
Rusty's Adjustable Tracbar
Rusty's 3 degree shims

So long story short on 2 things.
:001_unsure:Once I did the tune up and everything, it still wouldn't start. The gauges wouldn't move when I turned the key on, and after some reading on here, I ordered an ECM from O'reily. Upon getting it, turns out that they can't flash them like they said, so I planned to get it flashed once everything else was done.

The treadwrights. . . . . well, they looked fantastic. Upon mounting and balancing them, the shop called me into the bay. ONE of the wheels balanced pretty foot at 2.5oz. The other 4 however, WOW. The closest to within spec was 11.75oz. The highest being 15.5oz. I wasn't impressed and immediately had them remove them, and I ordered 31" Cooper STT (WHICH I LOVE, more about them later). I called treadwright, and well, 2 weeks later, I' still waiting to hear back from them about how to return them. Spent an hour on the phone with a lady when I was on the range in NC, and no offense, but both ladies I spoke to didn't seem to know what they were doing. The last I heard, she was going to leave me a voicemail and email me with information on return postage for returning them.

So I got home from all of my training escapades last wednesday. A week before I left (for 2 weeks), I dropped it off to have the rear lift put on and the rims/tires mounted (I know I know, but per usual the rear shock bolts snapped off and the front leaf spring bolts were seized up, and I didn't have time to take care of it before I left). When I got back, I picked it up and drove it to the dealership to get the ECM flashed. Another thing, the front sits quite a bit lower since the rear hasn't settled yet, and the shop said it rubbed really bad, so I ordered 3/4" spacers for the front, and 3/4 shackles (for once it settles) from rusty's.

So yesterday, I came home from visiting the fam in Louisville and got it from the dealership. The manager informed me that it was still idling a little rough, and they couldn't diagnose the problem, but I knew what was going on. The Jeep sat for 8 months before I bought it and had around 2 gallons of bad gas in it, which I only had 3 gallons of 87 to put with it at the time. I went straight to the gas station from the dealership and filled it with 13 gallons of 92 octane, and she purrs like a kitten now.

Here it is this morning

So, last night the E-brake light was on, and it worked, so I figured it was due to low fluid of some sort. Since it was just lifted, I looked at the rear, and sure enough, the rear brake line was leaking. I topped off the fluid, and ordered a line from a 95 Wrangler, since it's longer, and so far so good. I also got new front rotors and pads, which I'm going to install later today. I also trimmed the front bumper, removed the side moldings (in the pics, I didn't get the adhesive off yet). Also installed a new radio (front speakers don't work, which I'm gonna take care of tomorrow). After trimming the bumper, it's much better, but rubs the rear part of the front fender, so I trimmed that too.

My only gripes so far, is that it does ride a little rough, so I might order some bilstein shocks/struts to improve the ride quality. Looking back, I wish I would have got the lift with the HD springs, but I'm still happy with it. Also, I have some driveline vibes between 26-32mph. I ordered some new u-joints, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and order an SYE just to be safe. The Coopers are seriously deceiving. They look like an MT and look aggressive, but they are the quietest tires I've eve had. When I had my 2011 JK with the 32" MT's, they were pretty noisy, but these are crazy quiet. They ride really well too.

Things on my list now:
SYE
Bushwacker Flat Flares (depending on how it sits after the spacers/shackles)
New headlights
Read disc conversion
Speakers
Possibly front/rear lockers (I'll see how it does this winter)

One thing. . went to bleed my brakes and realized that when I installed the new rear brake hose, i apparently cracked the factory hard line, so I ordered a new hardline from an online OEM parts store. Kinda worried, all the places only had the description and the part #, so I'm hoping it's the right one. Ordered a 5212 7967

Also, for those of you who have bought an SYE from TomWoods, do you need to give them a measurement of the distance between the TCase and the Rear diff, or just the measurements of the yoke for the rear diff?

Last edited by 98XJ1C4; 12-03-2014 at 10:55 PM..
98XJ1C4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
CrawlingMS3

Looking good so far. Looks like it's going to make for a nice build.
Unread 12-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
98XJ1C4

Thanks, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress as expected. Like this one. UPS just showed up with some goodies. My 3/4" coil spacers and 3/4" shackles
photo.jpg  
Unread 12-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
98XJ1C4

Well, today's already off to a bang. Ordered front sway bar bushings, Rampage H4 headlight kit, and all wx floor mats.

Talked to my shop, gonna drop it off once I get the rear brake hard line installed to have the 3/4" spacers put on and have it re-aligned. I'd prefer to do it myself, however my jack isn't enough to get it up (so to speak) to put the spacers in.

Talked to TomWoods (who by the way were very kind about me asking a lot of questions to), gonna get my measurements to them to order an SYE kit today.

Last edited by 98XJ1C4; 12-04-2014 at 02:19 PM..
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
98XJ1C4

So, today, my brake line came in. Not too bad to replace unless its a chilly, rainy, ****ty day and you're gonna be working in the driveway. The old one came out pretty easily. Wanted to upload some pics to help out those who replace this in the future. One note, is that this process was performed back to front. I removed the rear brake hose, then started releasing the line from the plastic clips that hold it against the frame rail. I don't think you have to, but I found it really easy to remove the 2x 13mm bolts holding the e-brake bracket in place to free up the work area. That helped a lot.

The one thing that was a little bit of a pain was the fitting at the union(just under the brake master cylinder). The fittings for the lines hug the side of the fender as seen here. One thing you can't see in the picture, is that the intake manifold only allots you the room to really get one hand in there. So trying to get 2 wrenches in there to loosen the fittings is gonna be like a monkey f***ing a football.

The best way I found to get it off (so to speak) was to remove the line completely from the master cylinder via this fitting.

Removing it from there allowed me some play in the line so that I could manipulate it a little more to loose the fittings. When I installed the new line, I routed it in from the rear (this has all sorts of unintentional innuendoes), above the cross member, and then up towards the master cylinder. The biggest pain in routing the new line is right where it makes a turn for the master cylinder. In that spot, there are a few fuel lines that it is entangled in. Just take you're time, and if you can't get it the first time, spit on it.
Unread 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
98XJ1C4

Been a while since I've update my build. Been on leave and spending some time with the family. So, heres my updates

Got the front coil spacers installed. It totally evened out the wheel gap. The rear hasn't settled yet, so I opted not to install the 3/4" shackles until it does. Heres a pic as we were raising it up to do the SYE.

My Putco harness arrived, as well as my TomWoods SYE kit. Yesterday, my buddy allowed me to use his shop to install the SYE. Took about 2 hours. Wasn't too bad. Made a HUGE difference. The driveline vibrations are almost all gone. Still have some at 60-70mph. Going to get some 4 degree shims tomorrow from a local jeep shop in Louisville. I didn't get any pics, as we weren't trying to keep my buddy at the shop all day.

Doing the SYE made me remember that the speedo is off. Remembered this as I was removing the speedo sensor. Gonna get a new gear (31T) tomorrow as well.

The Putco harness was super easy to install. Took half an hour to get it all put in and clipped together. Once I turned them on my first reaction was "holy *****!". These make a HUGE difference. The harness along with the H4 conversion is insane. Went to the back of the shop to aim and adjust the beams. This is last night on a dark country road. The overpass was about 200m away, and the brights were on. The bulbs are the ones that came with the Rampage kit, the 55/60W ones. I'll let the picture speak for itself.

Today was a bit slow. I installed a new serpentine belt and new shocks for the rear lift gate. Also, I tried out a little trick my buddy showed me. The fenders were the typical faded gray. The trick, is you get a heat gun and run it close to the fender flare. The heat gun heats up the plastic, and causes it to melt the surface which re-blackens the plastic. I will admit that it requires a good amount of patience. The end product doesn't look amazing, but it looks better than it did before. Pictured is me starting the driveside front fender. I'll get pictures of the fender flares tomorrow once it's bright out again. The orange spot isn't the fender, it's a reflection of the heat gun.

I'll get some updates and pictures tomorrow when I get some more new parts. Thanks for looking.
Unread 12-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
ForeverMackin29
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Great thread. Keep the updates coming. That is the best color for an XJ in my opinion. Is it a manual or auto?
ForeverMackin29 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
98XJ1C4

It's an automatic. It's the first automatic that I've ever owned (I'm 30) and I gotta tell you, I love it haha.

I love the Jeep's green color. I had a 2011 Jk that was near the same color.
Unread 12-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #9
98XJ1C4

Been a busy week. Too $hitty out to take decent picks. Got all the decals and side molding tape off finally.

Picked up a new door hinge for the driver side. The pins worn out in mine. Also had the driveshaft angle measured. It's 4 degrees low, so I picked up some 6 degree BDS shims. Picked up some spicer u joints for the front axles as well. Should be putting some of it in tonight. I'll get picks as promised once I do

Also, turned 113k yesterday

Unread 12-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
ForeverMackin29
1995 XJ Cherokee 

113k! That thing has a long life ahead of her!!

Might check the welds where the door hinge is attached to the body. I had to have my hinges rewelded when my driverside door tore away from the body
ForeverMackin29 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
98XJ1C4

I did, when I move the door, I can see that the pin itself is pretty loose
Unread 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
98XJ1C4

So, a belated update. Been pretty busy with the holidays. Was asked to go to Disney world with the family, so I went :/.

But before I went I got some work done on the XJ. Got all the decals removed and the weather strip tape removed on the doors. Replaced the front U-Joints and the Hubs too (when I was taking them out, there was a LOT of play in them). Replaced the hubs with Timken, and the joints with Spicer so the XJ should be good to go for a while.

Going to get some BW flat flares on order this week.

Here's a pic after I finished the work last Friday. I'll get some better pics tomorrow

Unread 01-06-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
98XJ1C4

Well, some pictures as promised. The lighting isn't great, but decided to buff and wax the Heep today. Turned out pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.