My Brute Build in Dubai - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Brute Build in Dubai

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 08-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #91
tj2kj
1998 ZJ 

Looking Good! Keep us posted!

tj2kj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #92
sszabo11b
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait for the next update!
sszabo11b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #93
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

So a little update - kinda getting WAY ahead of ourselves but needed to know if this would work before ordering in the parts and giving them time to ship... the goal is to put the electric mirrors off of a 2013 JK Wrangler on my previous generation 2001 Wrangler doors. The mountings are completely different but at least the aesthetics would be good and it's a Jeep part which is nicer than having something that's obviously from a Toyota / Hummer etc. (A few years ago before the new Jeeps had it, that's an option I was considering!)

So the idea was to use a set of mirror relocation brackets for the JK Wrangler because they would be steel and we could cut and modify and make a new base plate with relative ease. The factory bases are aluminium and a totally different mounting method.

Now the Mopar parts computer said "Not for Electric mirrors" and I thought that's probably just because the wiring wouldn't be all clean and tidy and went ahead with it anyway

When the parts came in and we pulled the mirrors off a friends car to check, it kinda looked like it would work but not as well as I would like. They have included a shim to adapt to the newer style base but when I try to fold them flat against the body they just spin in the mount, and don't return to the snap point. Makes me think that on the highway they'll also rotate in the wind possibly.

So... I had to make something better. Made my own collar that fits the brackets and has the keyed features to match the mirror base. Fits perfect and the fold-flat function works like it should. Designed in CAD and 3D printed.

Now just have to worry about the metalwork to make it fit my doors but that's the easy part.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #94
Squarecat
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Just a thought...

Perhaps this will look ridiculous, but did you at least see what it looked like if you flipped the power sliding window so the wider part is the top?
Squarecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #95
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecat View Post
Perhaps this will look ridiculous, but did you at least see what it looked like if you flipped the power sliding window so the wider part is the top?
Less likely to fit - the top is slightly tapered already so the top is narrower - just like the TJ top would be. It's already very close to the area where the top starts to wrap around the corner so I think inverted it would be worse.

Interesting idea though!
Unread 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #96
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Today's update - it's got axles and tires - temporarily!

The new rear shock absorber mounts are welded on - the frame has been set to the ride height as if it would have the stock springs, with the weight of the body and engine all there (measured from axle to frame).

Tomorrow morning we will be 3D scanning the frame - and 3D scanning my old Jeep to have the critical drivetrain clearances - and then will design my long-travel control arms and control arm bracketry and front axle truss.

Unread 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #97
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmmmm, that may need an alignment lol
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #98
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohn92 View Post
Hmmmmm, that may need an alignment lol
Yes I agree an alignment tool is in order...according to the cardboard box leaning against the wall I can tell the third jack stand is crooked.....
I've got a couple older djs and was considering cabbing one and making a brute out of it...but at the price they want for the kit looks like a lot of fabrication will be in my future...lol...I don't live in Dubai but it's pretty jot here in ms..sure dig that shop your jeep is in and the equipment you have access too...I''ll be checking in often to get updated...lol

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #99
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

awesome build so far.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #100
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Yes I agree an alignment tool is in order...according to the cardboard box leaning against the wall I can tell the third jack stand is crooked.....
I've got a couple older djs and was considering cabbing one and making a brute out of it...but at the price they want for the kit looks like a lot of fabrication will be in my future...lol...I don't live in Dubai but it's pretty jot here in ms..sure dig that shop your jeep is in and the equipment you have access too...I''ll be checking in often to get updated...lol
Alignment for the frame? or for the suspension?

A lot of care has gone into the frame measurements. Yes the jack stands might be a bit crooked - in the process of moving things around to get it sitting on the shocks and at stock TJ spring height it was on and off the jack stands a lot (funny - adjusting the front ones, I had to come up an inch, picked the frame up and in the time it took for it to come down - click - click - both stands raised one notch and the frame set down gracefully on it)

But as for the frame, the frame has never been driven, and the stretch is done as per AEV's jigs for the main rails and then the tail section sandwich plates have holes that match up to existing holes in the original frame and the tail section - and we have all of those holes lining up.

That box leaning against the wall is an old flatscreen TV box wrapped around the spare dashboard from Ebay for my 1959 Cadillac - I wouldn't use that for any alignment reference.

If you just mean the suspension - the concern right now is just knowing where the wheels are supposed to be in relation to the frame so they will be centred in the wheel arches. Will set the control arm lengths etc. so the wheels are in this position when adjusted to half-way on the thread at both ends. Fine-tuning will of course be done at the tire shop alignment machine.
Unread 08-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #101
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
Also - the DJ's are so short to start with - would be cool to just close the wheel arches out and add a short-bed and make it an extended cab short bed truck that still has the sliding front doors. Moving the back axle all the way back like that would allow for wider axles / much bigger tires and still keeping that door function.

With the Brute build, I'm planning on ways of having additional door mounts on the bed rack so I will be able to drive 1000 km from home on the highway with the full doors, and then remove them and stow them while driving off road.

Being able to just slide them back and carry on would be easier!
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #102
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

So now we start getting interesting

Got the frame 3D scanned - still need to scan the original Jeep's drivetrain and drop that into place in CAD and then will have everything I need to design the control arm placements and the auxiliary fuel tanks and battery mounts. Also later will overlay the cabin data and can keep the body mounts in mind when doing the roll cage.

Full frame... Optima battery in upright position.

MetalCloak's control arm ends with Ruff Stuff weld in threaded inserts.

Optima mounted on it's side. Better clearance, no danger of grounding out if it shifts in an accident.

Unread 09-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #103
Lo2aY
Spider LJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

She's lookin good

LJ Build thread - Spider

TJ Build thread - Chinook

JK Build thread (soon)

J8 Build thread (soon)

Brute Build thread (soon)
Quote:
This hobby is not about who can shop the best, it's about creating things that did not exist before. It's about giving a machine a soul and making it an extention of your persona.

There is always someone who can spend more than you can. Don't measure your self worth against others. You can create, you can be fast and you can fail. It's all part of life.
Lo2aY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #104
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

A bit of progress...

Tonight I scanned the undercarriage of the Jeep and also quick scans of the frame at maximum compression of the shocks. Overlaying the two then I can make sure my axle truss / arm mounts / arms themselves won't hit anything at full compression. Also finished placing the axles in the correct stock-ride-height-location on the frame.

Unread 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #105
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

subscribed what a great build!
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.