My Brute Build in Dubai - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Brute Build in Dubai

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #76
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I know some foreign countries require amber turn signals and most DOT regulations are that way too, but why not use your red brake light as the blinker like we do in the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #77
Oman Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidriver View Post
I know some foreign countries require amber turn signals and most DOT regulations are that way too, but why not use your red brake light as the blinker like we do in the states?
Technically our regulations call for amber turn signals but there are many American cars on the roads here with red turn signals... (amber is still the vast majority) I just like that with an amber turn signal there's no confusion. With the red turn signals while tapping the brakes it can be a bit like wtf... especially if the third brake light has gone out.

After spending a fortune on all this custom fabrication and bodywork however, I want the best tail-end lighting I can get to make sure nobody runs into it.

So... technically I could be okay with red turn signals but I'd prefer them being in amber and it's more by-the-book that way.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #78
tsstoudt
Web Crawler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can't you get amber bulbs for the clear lenses?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #79
rubidriver
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My experience with amber bulbs in clear lenses are poor. The color shows up very weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974 View Post
your money will go farther in College Station.
rubidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #80
Oman Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsstoudt View Post
Can't you get amber bulbs for the clear lenses?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
The ones I'm looking at are LED boards in nice billet housings - that will look good even if they protrude out from the body - where as the factory housings that take bulbs would just be plastic lenses in reflector housings that are flush in the body so they wouldn't have given any care to how the back side looks.

It would be like this:

as opposed to this:

So it's all up to the manufacturer if they would be willing to do me a board with amber LEDs on it
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #81
Ken Cooke
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed
Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #82
rusty762

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The combo lights look cool, have to see some more pics of the Ranger window but I like having access to the bed and just being able to open it on the trail. I ran my rear window open the whole time I was on the trail and wished it was twice the size!

“If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I’d spend six sharpening my axe.”- Abraham Lincoln

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rusty762s-project-led-sled-1417133/"]My Build[/URL]

[URL="http://vimeo.com/user2820105"]My Videos[/URL]

[URL="http://www.backscatter.com"]My Work[/URL]

Have you hugged a Firefighter today?
rusty762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #83
?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
Tail Section extension almost done - a little more work on the passenger side and some more seam welding to finish up.

Here you can clearly see the winch mount and trailer hitch.

Reinforcement plates and bumper mounts.

Rear view - frame is looking quite long now!

Do you think that there could be enough room to locate a 37" spare tire under the bed if the rear winch mount and second furthest rearward crossmember were removed or modified? Also assuming that a custom gas tank would need to be made ahead of the rear axle like on other trucks.
????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #84
Oman Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ????? View Post
Do you think that there could be enough room to locate a 37" spare tire under the bed if the rear winch mount and second furthest rearward crossmember were removed or modified? Also assuming that a custom gas tank would need to be made ahead of the rear axle like on other trucks.
A 35" tire maybe... a 37" would definitely be tight... I'll be taking detailed measurements on the whole frame in about a week or so when it's sitting on axles in the stock positions, so I can set up the suspension for the new long arms based on those measurements, and then design my mid-tank. At that point it will be easy to see if a tire will fit. Will check for you.

My plan is to do a swing-out tire carrier bumper for the spare. I will also be making attachment points on the underside of the roof rack to hang a second full size spare under the rack but floating high above the tonnau. It will render the rear view mirror useless, but will keep access to the bed area nice and easy. The top side of the rack will have a pop up tent as I've mentioned earlier.

The rear of the frame will have a 24.5 gallon Genright tank, another Warn winch, and if there's space, a second battery mount beside the winch.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:56 AM   #85
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm in on this before I can't catch up!
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #86
Oman Jeep

So... we have an air conditioned build room and we're back to making progress

I think these control arms will be hard to break.... so far I've bent stock ones, sheared stock ones in half, and destroyed bushings in aftermarket ones... this time we're going for massively over-specced

Front suspension mocked up so we can design everything to clear at maximum compression so we know nothing will hit. Once we're all mounted up - will set the frame at a stock ride height so we have the axles in the stock position, and then design the new control arms to put the axles in the same position. Hopefully when we are all done, and the body goes on, the axles will be in the correct position

Back axle in position - waiting for the shocks to be mounted.

6-pak shocks - telescopic top and bottom for extra travel while the body of the shock with all the valving floats in the middle. Feels good to see them on the frame

The plan is that this weekend, we'll be 3D scanning the frame, AND the underside of my old Jeep which still has the drivetrain fitted, and then designing the suspension layout in CAD so it doesn't hit anything. Will move the factory lower control arm mounts towards the middle of the frame for a "factory" look, and then make custom brackets for the uppers, and then the axle housings will have trusses that will incorporate the control arm brackets. Having all this in CAD will then let me design the sub-fuel tank in the mid-frame later, knowing it will clear everything... Will also help in the cage design knowing where all the body mounts are.
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #87
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
So... we have an air conditioned build room and we're back to making progress

I think these control arms will be hard to break.... so far I've bent stock ones, sheared stock ones in half, and destroyed bushings in aftermarket ones... this time we're going for massively over-specced

Front suspension mocked up so we can design everything to clear at maximum compression so we know nothing will hit. Once we're all mounted up - will set the frame at a stock ride height so we have the axles in the stock position, and then design the new control arms to put the axles in the same position. Hopefully when we are all done, and the body goes on, the axles will be in the correct position

Back axle in position - waiting for the shocks to be mounted.

6-pak shocks - telescopic top and bottom for extra travel while the body of the shock with all the valving floats in the middle. Feels good to see them on the frame

The plan is that this weekend, we'll be 3D scanning the frame, AND the underside of my old Jeep which still has the drivetrain fitted, and then designing the suspension layout in CAD so it doesn't hit anything. Will move the factory lower control arm mounts towards the middle of the frame for a "factory" look, and then make custom brackets for the uppers, and then the axle housings will have trusses that will incorporate the control arm brackets. Having all this in CAD will then let me design the sub-fuel tank in the mid-frame later, knowing it will clear everything... Will also help in the cage design knowing where all the body mounts are.
I have to say, those are the ugliest shocks I've ever seen lol. Hope they preform well!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #88
Oman Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
I have to say, those are the ugliest shocks I've ever seen lol. Hope they preform well!
It's a different look that's for sure

But it's all about the functionality / flexibility - and given there's more travel to go and the stock control arms are maxed out - I think they will achieve that once we replace the arms with long-arms.

I'm excited to drive them but as you can see there's a long way to go still
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #89
Jcool
1993 XJ Cherokee 

subbed, love Brutes
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_) 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L
Jcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #90
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

This thread is so crawled. I have a feeling there's more images than Im seeing, is it just my computer or me? I want to see this beast for what It really is.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.