My Brute Build in Dubai - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Brute Build in Dubai

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #46
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I should of been at this stage if not for the surgery.

Still, it is nice to see a pilot project before I start!

Unread 07-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #47
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
what camera are you using for time lapse?I always wanted to do this on one of my builds.
GoPro Hero 3 on time-lapse mode set to take a picture every half-second. Played back at 25 frames a second that makes it 12.5 times faster than actual speed.

The GoPro's were mounted on some hacked up kitchen egg-timers so that they slowly rotate while taking pictures - that's what you see in the video already posted - but have since changed over to using the Camalapse pan timers - http://www.camalapse.com/ - more stable and easier set up / take apart as they have proper tripod mounts top and bottom. (my previous set up was relying on some double side tape )

The GoPros are using the non-waterproof frame mount so I have access to the charge port etc.

At the end of it - you'll end up with thousands of pictures, which will be in 4:3 aspect ratio. Use IrfanView (Cnet Downloads) to do a batch process to crop them down to 16:9 if you want widescreen - then import them into your movie editing software and set the duration accordingly. For 25 fps the duration needs to be 0.04 s.

I'm still learning with it all though

I'm looking forward to using the Camalapse up in the mountains with a candy red brute as the clouds race by overhead
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #48
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Excited to the progress of this build!
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #49
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Su su su subbed! Love it
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #50
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Been a slow week as the build-room gets AC and extractor fans installed to help combat the 120+F temperatures here - but now making progress again.

The main chassis extensions are done - although a bit more welding to be done on the reinforcement plates tomorrow, then the tail section, bed mounts and then we will throw the axles under the frame with the new shocks, and standard control arms, and then start taking measurements to design the long-travel suspension. :-)

Frame with the extension done:

What join lines? Wish I had been able to stop by the shop and get some pictures before smoothing it out but was not able to...

External reinforcement plates. This will then be seam welded on the top and then the whole chassis will be flipped upside down and the same again for the lower side.

Unread 07-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #51
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Latest video instalment

Unread 07-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #52
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
nnaaaaaaiiiiice

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #53
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. I don't think those guy are from UAE. Where are they from?
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #54
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
Subscribed. I don't think those guy are from UAE. Where are they from?
One's from Florida, one's from California and one's from Detroit.
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #55
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep

One's from Florida, one's from California and one's from Detroit.
That's funny, I have been checking into auto collision jobs in Dubai.

Great progress man, can't wait to see the body cut apart.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #56
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
That's funny, I have been checking into auto collision jobs in Dubai.

Great progress man, can't wait to see the body cut apart.
Most body shops are brutal working conditions out here... no AC and 120F temperatures. Shooting paint etc becomes very difficult in the summer months as it is drying as it hits the car... The Brute paint work will be done as it starts to cool down.

Having seen your HomeBrute build - I would say don't just look at Auto Collision - look more at customisation. We really lack people that have the skills to do custom cars properly here. I'm not sure I would have done the Brute conversion without these guys here.

Auto Collision stuff is mostly insurance jobs where it goes to the cheapest bidder and I've heard you have to maintain an "average" repair cost to stay on the insurance companies list of garages. As a result you'll find most body shops employing people from india / pakistan. Maybe as a bodyshop manager you might get a salary you can live on.

If you can do higher end custom work then that can be a different story

If you need help shoot me a message
Unread 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #57
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep

Most body shops are brutal working conditions out here... no AC and 120F temperatures. Shooting paint etc becomes very difficult in the summer months as it is drying as it hits the car... The Brute paint work will be done as it starts to cool down.

Having seen your HomeBrute build - I would say don't just look at Auto Collision - look more at customisation. We really lack people that have the skills to do custom cars properly here. I'm not sure I would have done the Brute conversion without these guys here.

Auto Collision stuff is mostly insurance jobs where it goes to the cheapest bidder and I've heard you have to maintain an "average" repair cost to stay on the insurance companies list of garages. As a result you'll find most body shops employing people from india / pakistan. Maybe as a bodyshop manager you might get a salary you can live on.

If you can do higher end custom work then that can be a different story

If you need help shoot me a message
Thanks, I don't do much over 100. It was just a thought anyway, my wife was looking at teaching jobs there.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #58
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Thanks, I don't do much over 100. It was just a thought anyway, my wife was looking at teaching jobs there.
Ah - well as long as you can find something air conditioned it's not too bad.
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #59
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Laurie lucky you sob in Dubai

In Abu Dhabi we have ONLY Mussaffah which all is on Islamabad level ... or maybe even much lower since over on pirate4x4 there is this great thread from Ihssan Kiani where lots of great body shop work in Islamabad on really old Jeeps is documented

Now some of you might be able to understand what nightmares I was having during my V8 conversion and why I am so reluctant doing frame mods for proper suspension mods here ... LOL

Laurie ... is that at Robbie's garage in Dubai where you did your very first AEV highline work? Lots of progress at Robbie's if thats really the case .

Mebar Auto is owned by Rashad who is US citizen as well ... but did not see him in the videos ...

Hey Hendrix ... in Abu Dhabi I know of several female US teachers doing their job here and we do not have one single Jeep expert garage!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #60
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice and clean welding job man.

I'm looking for a welder. From where did you get yours ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.