My Brute Build in Dubai - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Brute Build in Dubai

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #166
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Awesome work on those brackets! I'm astounded just looking at them

Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #167
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow man ! Where did you get those cut ?

I need to cut some brackets for my own project. Could you please share the details ?
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #168
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is some amazing work that you have going on there! I must say that I was a fan of your "original" Jeep but have definately subscribed to this thread!!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #169
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannerhammock View Post
Having worked in Kuwait for 8 months as a heavy mobile equipment mechanic I know how it feel working in the heat and humidity. A/C is almost a must have. I would go back in a heart beat though. If they wouldn't have cut my contract I would still be there. I loved it there. If I could find a job over there again I would go. You've got some good work going on over there. I like what you're doing with your jeep. I wish I had the skills to use CAD like you do. Rock on mate!
Thank you!
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #170
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalali View Post
Wow man ! Where did you get those cut ?

I need to cut some brackets for my own project. Could you please share the details ?
Thanks! I designed them myself in CAD and then had some random place with a waterjet machine cut them out. Wouldn't recommend that specific place though as they missed one of the cut lines, and completely forgot 2 parts, and had 2 parts joined together when they should have been separate. Had to re-do those 4 parts and I used a angle-grinder to make the cut line... So I would just say anywhere with a waterjet cutting machine. Can't be much worse than the one I tried
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #171
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

are you going to seam weld at those bend lines?
great stuff! really thinking about modified shock mounts for my toy ... such clean work at the frame might actually pass the tests here (hopefully)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #172
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
are you going to seam weld at those bend lines?
great stuff! really thinking about modified shock mounts for my toy ... such clean work at the frame might actually pass the tests here (hopefully)
Yep - that's the idea. Will be tacked in place so it doesn't warp in the heat as you seam weld it. Having it cut out that way means that it can be bent into shape and know it's all aligned before you start welding

Having 9 individual cut pieces and trying to assemble it into that rear trackbar piece would be a nightmare

The goal is that if it looks clean it should pass - but if they do fail it and it goes to a higher level and someone technical has to look at it - there's absolutely no reason for them to find fault with it all.

That's the only way I'd be satisfied with it too If there wasn't so much poor quality work on cars here - we wouldn't have such silly blanket rules. Kinda blazing a trail by trying to raise the bar

That said - keeping the standard shock mounts was the appeal of the 6-pak shocks (although the lower rear axle ones get replaced)
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #173
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

:thumbup:
I really hope you like the valving of those 6paks for what you want to do. I suspect them to have a too soft compression damping for I what I would put them through. Have you reassured yourself with MC that you could service those 6paks yourself here and actually get the parts if needed?

E.g. a revalving here for my 5160 Billies is somehow not straight forward. It starts with sourcing the right supplier, figuring out the shim sets and after getting all stuff into the country (how to ship shock oil :banghead: ) the actual revalving work seems to be a walk in the park. The right experiments and the experience of FINE tuning is a fine and esoteric art and is the real challenge.

The guys met so far here who do Radflo / King / Fox tuning don't give a **** about shock lengths and would sell you anything, even if the shock at the end shows only 2" shockshaft at ride height ... and most likely have no clue either about the real fine tuning I am after.
They rely too much on the dumb premium brand shopper ... thats all.

Unread 10-26-2013, 04:51 AM   #174
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
:thumbup:
I really hope you like the valving of those 6paks for what you want to do. I suspect them to have a too soft compression damping for I what I would put them through. Have you reassured yourself with MC that you could service those 6paks yourself here and actually get the parts if needed?

E.g. a revalving here for my 5160 Billies is somehow not straight forward. It starts with sourcing the right supplier, figuring out the shim sets and after getting all stuff into the country (how to ship shock oil :banghead: ) the actual revalving work seems to be a walk in the park. The right experiments and the experience of FINE tuning is a fine and esoteric art and is the real challenge.

The guys met so far here who do Radflo / King / Fox tuning don't give a **** about shock lengths and would sell you anything, even if the shock at the end shows only 2" shockshaft at ride height ... and most likely have no clue either about the real fine tuning I am after.
They rely too much on the dumb premium brand shopper ... thats all.

They basically said I can play with the nitrogen pressures but that's about it... for any kind of re-build expect to send them back as there's a special fixture / jig for the assembly. They said for that reason they weren't even sure if they were going to sell them outside of the US. As long as I understood that it was okay tho.

To be completely honest - wasn't expecting to be able to re-build them here.

I like a soft ride so we will see how they do. When the Jeep is back on the road you're welcome to come see them in person. But keep in mind my Jeep is going to be a bit heavier than a standard TJ by the time it's done

How the valving is going to be - Won't know until we try it
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #175
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
They basically said I can play with the nitrogen pressures but that's about it... for any kind of re-build expect to send them back as there's a special fixture / jig for the assembly. They said for that reason they weren't even sure if they were going to sell them outside of the US. As long as I understood that it was okay tho.

To be completely honest - wasn't expecting to be able to re-build them here.

I like a soft ride so we will see how they do. When the Jeep is back on the road you're welcome to come see them in person. But keep in mind my Jeep is going to be a bit heavier than a standard TJ by the time it's done

How the valving is going to be - Won't know until we try it
Thanks a lot for the offer ... and I admire your courage to just try them out (but your whole build is courageous anyway ! )

Looking forward to meet you some day soon
Unread 10-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #176
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Both of my rear frame lower control arm mounts in RB are custom. The right one was done badly before I bought it and it got a note from RTA but it passed. The left one was done by me and it passed twice so far with no issues.

I'm also planning on 6pak shocks for my LJ. But I need to sort the engine swap first !

Chmo, do you know any water jet shop in Abu Dhabi ? I failed to locate one so far.
Unread 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #177
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Welding the suspension brackets on the frame

Welds have yet to be cleaned up - but still looks good. The wavey bit on the top edge is because of the slot / groove to locate the parts to each other that you'll see in previous pictures... Used a bolt with lots of nuts and washers to ensure that the gap between the two plates didn't warp in the heat of the welding.

The front control arms require bends in two different directions. Needed a way to know how much the pipe had rotated in the pipe bender so I made an iPhone holder that clamped to the tube. Worked well!

Control Arms tacked together! MetalCloak's largest Duroflex bushing rod ends and RuffStuff Specialties threaded inserts tack welded at each end. Tomorrow the ends will be seam welded. They don't look that long in these pictures, because they're so thick. Wait til you see a stock control arm next to them.

Unread 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM   #178
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't see anything !
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #179
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

??? Are you at work? Does it block pictures hosted on Facebook?
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #180
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Today's update! Got the rear axle in place and the arms fitted. Got the springs and shocks in. Front lower control arms are in but still pending is the front upper control arms - need to do the truss / axle housing modifications for the upper mounts.

Plan is to have it sitting on wheels and then put the body back on for a final alignment / fitment / clearance check and set some of the remaining body mounts in place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.