My Brute Build in Dubai - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My Brute Build in Dubai

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-14-2013, 03:36 AM   #136
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
you just have to know where to look I bet
I've been here a lonnnnnng time. I work in the car industry. I don't know of anyone that can build a high quality custom driveshaft here. Maybe some places that might repair stuff on 18 wheelers but nothing for recreational 4x4s.

Ordering from Tom Woods - very helpful - easy and knowledgeable.

Finding somewhere locally that MIGHT be able to do a half-way okay job at it would take more time than ordering online and waiting for Fedex, and would mean days of going from shop to shop in the heat.

I'm far too busy for that. Like I said - it's not easy money and there's not much free time!

Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #137
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

have been looking for a turning shop with driveshaft balancing competency here for quite a while ... with no luck.

Some shops specialized on really high horsepower race cars for the Yas track still simply cut and weld driveshafts without balancing

It gets even better for the jeepers:
A worn u-joint is a reason to replace the whole stock driveshaft at the dealership ... u-joints are not considered as replaceable consumables

(lucky who has a own garage with AC ... tree shade work on the road side here is due to the lack of shade not really cool)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #138
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
have been looking for a turning shop with driveshaft balancing competency here for quite a while ... with no luck.

Some shops specialized on really high horsepower race cars for the Yas track still simply cut and weld driveshafts without balancing

It gets even better for the jeepers:
A worn u-joint is a reason to replace the whole stock driveshaft at the dealership ... u-joints are not considered as replaceable consumables

(lucky who has a own garage with AC ... tree shade work on the road side here is due to the lack of shade not really cool)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yep - all those crazy high horsepower racing things here - they're just happy if it lasts 9 seconds as long as it crosses the line.

Some of them don't even run radiators or a worthwhile roll cage to reduce the weight.
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #139
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post

It's not as easy as you might think. Temperatures are in the 125F range with 80+% humidities - it's not easy money that's for sure.
Money is better then in the states though eh? 125 is a little not but I worked in a warehouse awhile that got up to that temp. Humidity though.. Damn ocean lol. Still id work there a year the city.is nice
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #140
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrunndonex View Post
Money is better then in the states though eh? 125 is a little not but I worked in a warehouse awhile that got up to that temp. Humidity though.. Damn ocean lol. Still id work there a year the city.is nice
That temperature would be outdoors, some of the warehouses I've been working in get hotter than that - you go outdoors to 125F to cool down.

The money can be good but really depends what you do. Some fields yes, some fields no. But I wouldn't say it's easy money. Don't drop everything and come here thinking it will be easy. Know what you're getting into before heading this way. We get a lot of people coming here that don't know what they're signing up for and don't last more than 6-12 months. But then there's people like myself that love it and have been here 15 years.
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #141
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

id go after a office job lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #142
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Back on topic - Update!

Thanks to a tip-off from a friend, found some used Porsche Cayenne optional Recaro Seats - pretty much exactly the model I wanted but with the higher side bolsters on the base - and as a bonus - they're electric for adjusting front to back! That's something you don't get buying direct from Recaro

Leather's seen better days, but they will be re-upholstered in black and red and will be good as new

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #143
TheDoc25
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet find, you didnt stick the Porsche engine in there as well did you??
TheDoc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #144
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc25 View Post
Sweet find, you didnt stick the Porsche engine in there as well did you??
Noooo I wouldn't be able to afford the service bills
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #145
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I would need a big shoehorn to get into those seats.
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #146
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Updates: The stock cage and the windshield re-installed along with the doors to make sure the gaps are all good.

And a big update - the bed set in place to get the body mounts welded on to the frame.

Sharp eyes will note that the line running down the bed and the line on the doors doesn't quite match at this stage - there are no bushings in the rear of the cab or the front of the bed hence the slight banana look When it's done it will of course be straight as an arrow.
Unread 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #147
wwch99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It's coming along

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using JeepForum
wwch99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #148
jherrington
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I love how you incorporated cad into this. I've never seen anyone do it, but It makes so much sense.
jherrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #149
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

all I can say is..."Jeep-Jeep"...WOW..

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #150
jherrington
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Updates?
jherrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.