My attempt at a YJ unlimited... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My attempt at a YJ unlimited...

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 07-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #91
TheBeardedPilot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sooooo awesome!

Unread 07-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #92
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well sorry for the lack of updates, been pretty busy.

Last Sunday my amazingly awesome wife drove me to New Hampshire to pick up my LJ roll bar that I bought from VecoPlan. I had to have her drive because I worked an overnight shift and had planned to sleep in the JK on the way down. Turns out that the slight shimmy that starts around 70-75 makes it nearly impossible to sleep!

We arrived around 9am to pick the bar up, I had been awake for 26 hours at this point. Turns out LJ bars are not bolted together on the main hoop as TJ bars are! Maybe its a 03+ thing, I dunno. After 30-40 minutes trying to monkey the assembled LJ bar into my JK unlimited, we ended up driving to BigHeep's house to use his grinder to cut the welds. Thanks a Bunch!!!

We got home around 230 in the afternoon.

here is the fruits of that trip!

Since then I really haven't had any time to get into the garage to work on the old girl. Until today! A short day due to having accrued to many hours at work this week led to an afternoon of cutting up Jeep bodies! This is just mocked together for now as I found a few small rust areas on the donor piece that I want to fix before I weld them together and I need to get the CJ Tail gate installed! The only pic for now since I left the digicam in the shop!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

No Stretch TJ Build For The Wife
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #93
311LJ
311Popo

2004 LJ Wrangler 

this is gunna be sweet!
07 WK Overland, Hemi, Chrome bug deflector
[SOLD] Jimmer 01 WJ *2009 GCOTY* WJ Build Thread
*UTAH JEEPCREW #01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffjeeper View Post
I ♡ John
311LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #94
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
Well sorry for the lack of updates, been pretty busy.

Last Sunday my amazingly awesome wife drove me to New Hampshire to pick up my LJ roll bar that I bought from VecoPlan. I had to have her drive because I worked an overnight shift and had planned to sleep in the JK on the way down. Turns out that the slight shimmy that starts around 70-75 makes it nearly impossible to sleep!

We arrived around 9am to pick the bar up, I had been awake for 26 hours at this point. Turns out LJ bars are not bolted together on the main hoop as TJ bars are! Maybe its a 03+ thing, I dunno. After 30-40 minutes trying to monkey the assembled LJ bar into my JK unlimited, we ended up driving to BigHeep's house to use his grinder to cut the welds. Thanks a Bunch!!!
Hey no problem. It's all about jeepers helping out fellow jeepers. Thanks for helping me pull my hardtop off my Jeep.
Quote:
We got home around 230 in the afternoon.

here is the fruits of that trip!

Since then I really haven't had any time to get into the garage to work on the old girl. Until today! A short day due to having accrued to many hours at work this week led to an afternoon of cutting up Jeep bodies! This is just mocked together for now as I found a few small rust areas on the donor piece that I want to fix before I weld them together and I need to get the CJ Tail gate installed! The only pic for now since I left the digicam in the shop!

Looking good so far. I will be following this thread cosely since I plan on doing a similar build replacing the front of my Scrambler tub with a tub from a YJ.
Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #95
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

for those who care, this build isn't dead as it would appear! I have been busy dealing with a bunch of employment issues and then I was on vacation. I plan to get back on it just as soon as I finish the frame repair on my sister in-laws TJ and get it painted.

She got a great deal on a 98 Sport that the upper control arm mounts and frame decided to divorce! Got the rear axle out and one side of the frame repaired. I hope to get the frame patched up this weekend and get the axle back under it. Then I have to fix someone elses bad body work and get her ready for new paint.

I cut the rear upper control arm mounts from my donor frame to use on her rig so now I am looking at maybe doing a triangulated 4 link in the rear of this project.

Unread 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #96
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to seeing more!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #97
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

nice Y/C/T/L J 8
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:10 AM   #98
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerzap View Post
nice Y/C/T/L J 8
I'd call it a YJ8.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #99
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Cool Project, I am gLad you taking out the cancerous body parts and putting in new sheetmetal. Nice space area to work on the projects

Can't wait for the final product, Good luck
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #100
YJSos
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome project!! Cant wait to see more progress.

"My Jeep Is Like A Bum, Always Begging For Change"

1989 YJ Patiently awaiting its new frame....
2001 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD trying to keep it stock but its not working
YJSos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #101
Benaldridgejr
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lifes speedbumps slow down everything man! Keep on keepin on and itll be done eventually! Love the way its turnin out and i can wait till its done! Lol
()_) ()_)--o()_)
Benaldridgejr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #102
chrisminix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

how is it coming along with this jeep? i have a 91 and i can't seem to find a o.e.m. slave cylinder for it anywhere! any suggestions on a good brand? typical part store brands last about 3 months.
chrisminix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #103
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisminix View Post
how is it coming along with this jeep? i have a 91 and i can't seem to find a o.e.m. slave cylinder for it anywhere! any suggestions on a good brand? typical part store brands last about 3 months.
First to answer your question about slave cylinders. In all of the jeeps I have built I have only had to replace the slave cylinder on one of them. I am pretty sure I bought it at Napa and never had any trouble with it.

As far as my project...
There really hasnt been much change recently. I have been working on some other projects that needed more urgent attention.

Today however I began to work on the frame and I ordered the tube for the fenders! I picked up a High Pinion Dana 30 that I am going to use up front for now as well as a 8.8 rear that I will eventually get installed. I also got a set of 3" TJ lift springs.

For those of you who may be reading this and are knowledgeable about building control arms i have a question! I was planning to use 2" DOM .250 wall and 1.5" weld in bungs. Now I have run into some confusion.

I was watching Search and Restore the other day and Ian used 2" .120 wall and sleeved it with 1.75" .120 wall. Is there any benefit to doing this over simply using 2" .250 wall.

Anyway here are a couple of pics that show where I ended up today. Those are the 31" tires that came on my YJ, I plan to run 35's.

Unread 09-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #104
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

While I am waiting on some parts to come in to work on getting the frame together I decided to start on my highline front fenders.

I ended up getting a good deal on a pair of tj fenders that had the typical rust issues. I only wanted them for the inner fenders and the part that connects to the tub so I snagged them. Got these mocked up on the jeep to get my measurements for cutting the hood.

Much to my surprise these fenders would be easily adapted for use on a YJ with a 2.5" highline! I will be cutting most of them away once I get all the mounting points figured out and the hood cut down.

Here are some pictures...

Unread 09-01-2011, 06:49 PM   #105
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thats one franken jeep you got goin on!!

Quote:
For those of you who may be reading this and are knowledgeable about building control arms i have a question! I was planning to use 2" DOM .250 wall and 1.5" weld in bungs. Now I have run into some confusion.

I was watching Search and Restore the other day and Ian used 2" .120 wall and sleeved it with 1.75" .120 wall. Is there any benefit to doing this over simply using 2" .250 wall.
Just run the 2" .25" wall lowers it'll be more than enough. I run 2" .25wall lowers and 1.75" .120wall upper without issue on my 3 linked yj.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.