My attempt at a YJ unlimited... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My attempt at a YJ unlimited...

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #76
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. I like how those boatsides are coming out...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #77
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

you'll be able to deflect those road side bombs

FOR SALE PM me if interested!
C-rok outer steering box brace new, never installed. Also have an XJ trailer hitch for sale, needs some paint, but thats about it.
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #78
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I put in some serious garage time, not so much Jeep progress as a much needed cleaning! I had been sharing garage space with my father in law and he is moving to Georgia. Last week at this time we had a 1971 Demon, 1969 Grand Prix, 1964 Chevy Pickup, 1991 XJ, and my YJ project in the garage along with both of our tool boxes, and all the fabrication tools.

Father in Law has moved all his stuff out and now I am finally able to move things around and get cleaned up! I have filled about 10 contractor size garbage bags with trash and dirt from the shop! amazing how much can accumulate when you cant get around stuff! I wish I had taken some before pictures but I forgot to. Now all that is in the shop is the Demon, XJ and YJ. Plus my tools. I will take some pics tomorrow so you all can see how big this place is!

Plan is to get the TJ frame in the garage and start working on getting that together. Think I am going to build a cart out of 4x4's and put it on casters so I can roll it around the shop easier.

Sorry for the lack of pics lately but life has been very hectic, now getting back to somewhat normality!

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
My Rusty Wrangler Project
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #79
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok well made some progress tonight, spent about 5 hours in the garage. I did a lot of work but it doesn't look like it! I had to cut out my boatside and start over. Pain in the butt but at least now things line up a lot better! Lesson learned is dont buy a rotted out jeep...LOL! Nothing lined up right due to the amount of body distortion from everything being rusted off.

here are the few pics I took

this is where I started, re-replacing this panel!

my boatside after I cut it out with the plasma cutter

Mostly together, still have some welding and lots of grinding to do. doesnt look nearly as pretty as the first time around where the welds go!

side view! Like I said it doesn't look very much different but it was really a fair amount of work!

Half of my garage! kind of a mess from the days activities!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #80
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Couple hours in the garage today.

Got the drivers side nearly finished up as far as rebuilding the tub and boatsides are concerned. Began cutting out the pass side floor boards, fortunately the floor supports are in much better condition and are salvageable on this side! the middle and rearward of the three center body bolts broke coming out so I need to go and pick up some new nuts to weld in before I can start welding the floors back in.

Here are a few pics.

Inside view of drivers side just in front of wheel well. Parts are just tacked into place in these shots. The angle iron and square tubing are supports I tacked in place in an attempt to keep the tub shape.

Rear pass side floor pan cut out.

Another view of pass side rear floor removed

Another view of the drivers side repair. Sprayed a quick layer of weld through primer over this area as I prepare to finish the welding and rebuild the support channel that the YJ seat belt attached to.

Test fitting the new floor board

Shot from across the garage, can anyone identify the dealer tag on the trunk lid of my demon?

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #81
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hrmm... not many Mopar fans in here I see!!! The sticker is a dealer tag from probably the most well known dodge dealer from the late 60's early 70's. Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge!

Anyway I got quite a bit more accomplished on rebuilding the tub! Wont be much longer and I can start the stretching! I had to rebuild the front floor support and body mount area. Didn't take any pictures. Repaired the middle body mount area, again no pics. Repair for this was similar to the repair shown below for the rear body mount area.

Pass side front floor pan welded in place

Repaired floor support, almost ready to weld rear floor pan in place

the way I repaired the rearward body mount, chunk of 1/4 plate with the nut welded to it, the two bolts keep the plate in place and prevent it from spinning when the body bolt is tightened. The plate is slotted under the bolts to allow the plate to move some.

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #82
EVANATOR
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome work, keep it up!!
EVANATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #83
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Go do a google map street view of the address on your dealer sticker.

Not dealing in Dodges anymore!!!!!

Drugs maybe, but not Dodges!

Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #84
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95 View Post
The sticker is a dealer tag from probably the most well known dodge dealer from the late 60's early 70's. Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge!
Sorry to be trollin', but....am I the only one who wondered why they had a uterus on the sticker? It took me a few seconds to realize it was a bull(?)

The build is coming along great, though! Can't wait to see more!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 11:29 PM   #85
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88 View Post
Go do a google map street view of the address on your dealer sticker.

Not dealing in Dodges anymore!!!!!

Drugs maybe, but not Dodges!

Yeah the dealership is long since closed up, neighborhood is sketchy. The legendary reputation of Mr. Norm lives on though! A lot of crazy innovative ideas came out of that shop!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #86
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95

Yeah the dealership is long since closed up, neighborhood is sketchy. The legendary reputation of Mr. Norm lives on though! A lot of crazy innovative ideas came out of that shop!
Let me guess, its on Chicago's west side?

Man that rust bucket looks kinda like a Jeep. What a huge project to take on. Looks like you know what your doing.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #87
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, not my first go round with a rusty Jeep! Probably wont be my last even with as much as I have complained about this one! I am at the point now were I can almost say the body is rust free! Hoping to get a little wrench time this weekend!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #88
SophomoreJeeper
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Bump for progress pics!!
SophomoreJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #89
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would have thought I would have been done with the body work on this turd by now! Getting closer but still more to be done. It is really tough to find the time these days to get to the shop and work on it. My little man keeps me pretty busy when I am not working at one of my jobs!

Got the pass rear floor welded in place finally, also added a patch for the riser to the rear floor area.

another view of the riser patch

pass side boat side done...mostly!

inside view

another outside view

rolled one of the 35's from the JK up next to it!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 07-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #90
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

couple hours in the shop tonight, have the tub finally to a point where I can start working on the stretch. The downer is my son is having surgery tomorrow morning and I don't know when I will get a chance to get back into the shop. Surgery is nothing serious, he is having tubes put into his ears in hopes to reduce the massive amount of ear infections he has had.
Also I have a couple of rocker panel jobs I have to do next week to get some cash to put back into the rig!

Anyway here is tonight's progress. I still have some welds to finish. I had planned to complete them tonight, but after dropping the fuel tank I didnt think that was the best idea due to the fumes in the garage!

the last two patches that I needed to complete for now. I still need to rebuild the vertical tub support but I want to wait till I pickup my LJ roll bar

Fuel tank is out, great shot of my holy frame!

turned the jeep around to have easier access to the rear, wasn't smart enough to do this before I dropped the fuel tank!

Another shot of my patches completed tonight, tossed a tj roll bar I had in place just to see how things lined up!

pile of rusty metal that was cut out from pass side floor pan and rocker repair. This is not all the metal as a lot of it had already made it to the dumpster!

another view of the old girl turned around in the shop!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.