My attempt at a YJ unlimited... - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My attempt at a YJ unlimited...

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 07-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #721
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Took her out for the first offroading with the locker. A buddy of mine lost his fuel pump out in the woods, he lives a couple hours away. Another buddy and I loaded up our jeeps to go rescue him. Used my jeep to pull him out, driving in I was thinking no way was I gonna get my jeep back out with his in tow. Surprisingly it went super smooth!

Things went so smooth we decided to do some wheeling afterwards. My friend who we rescued owns a lot of land on the rocky downeast coast of maine. His rig is an 05 TJ with front and rear dana 44's with arbs. His trails are very tight and technical, difficult without a front locker. My long wheelbase made some of the tight areas nearly impossible. Ended up with some damage. The worst of it is that I ripped out the zipper for my right side window on my top. Here are some pics of some of my damage...

URL=http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/lilviper95/media/image_zpsb08a2176.jpg.html][/URL]

URL=http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/lilviper95/media/image_zps6af3431b.jpg.html][/URL]

LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #722
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

At least she's broken in!
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #723
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't look too bad. I always vote for spray paint. It makes touch ups like that quick and easy. But I have to respect the fact that its not a trailer queen. This build has been one of my favorites.
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #724
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the kind words, I built this baby to beat on! Non functional damage adds character!
Paint damage is minor and expected, I'm upset with myself for not putting the top down. The tear is an easy fix, not sure on the zipper yet. I will get a picture!

I wish that I had pictures from the trail!
Unread 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #725
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is the zipper
Unread 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #726
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Called nearly every upholstery and canvas shop in town today. Finally found a guy who was willing to help me out. He is going to replace the zipper, repair the hole and perform some other minor stitching repairs for under 100 dollars. Only downside is the new zipper wil be white, I would have preferred black but really don't care that much!

Here is the jeep without the canvas,
Unread 08-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #727
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't get any pics but I got the top back from the canvas shop. Came out decent considering how bad it was. I pulled it into the shop tonight to start the steering upgrades. Axle side track bar bolt had allowed out the hole so much it was scary to drive! I will get some pics along the way!
Unread 08-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #728
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Got most of my steering upgrades done. Still have to build a frame side track bar bracket.

This is the stock beat up steering I started with.

Axle stripped and ready for reassembly

High steer knuckle and axle tube seal installed.

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #729
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Somehow I failed to notice that the pass side lower coil bucket was rusted out. Kinda frustrating, but turns out that I needed to modify it anyway in order to have full steering ability. The crossover steering link was hitting the bucket and would not allow for a full right turn.

Here is a pic of the rusted mount cut off.

The modified coil bucket that I cut off a spare axle.

Welded in place about 1" back, the steering link now clears

Track bar relocation bracket welded in place. Steering mocked up, need some shorter bolts!

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #730
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Oh, I am going to have to notch the frame on the pass side to clear the drag link when that side is stuffed. What do you all recommend?
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #731
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95
Oh, I am going to have to notch the frame on the pass side to clear the drag link when that side is stuffed. What do you all recommend?
I always cut out the needed section and bend a piece to plate the section I cut out.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #732
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That makes sense, I was thinking I would have to use a heavy wall tube to gain back the strength lost from the cut. Should I add any material to the top of the frame?
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #733
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilViper95
That makes sense, I was thinking I would have to use a heavy wall tube to gain back the strength lost from the cut. Should I add any material to the top of the frame?
I did not, you still have the crush zone in front of the notched part?
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #734
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My ax15 lost a bearing or had some sort of internal failure. I looked for a reasonable replacement locally to no avail. I ended up buying a beat up 99 XJ and plan to put the aw4 into my rig!

Last edited by LilViper95; 08-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: phones auto correct is dumb....
Unread 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #735
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Spent most of my day on a road trip with the family. Tonight I spent some time in the shop though!

Pulled the transmission and transfer case from the XJ along with the flex plate and dust shield. Tomorrow I plan to remove the shifter and wiring. I may begin the installation into the yj!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.