My attempt at a YJ unlimited... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My attempt at a YJ unlimited...

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My attempt at a YJ unlimited...

****So it appears that my photo hosting website decided to flake out and change their format. I am working on uploading all my build photos to another server and linking them to this build.****

So a couple of months ago I stumbled upon a 93 YJ 4.0L 5spd that was in pretty tough shape but super cheap. I drug it home like I always seem to with jeeps that really deserve to be scrapped! Floors are gone, both quarters are pretty well shot, frame has typical YJ rot.

Initially I was just going to repair the rust, put a new top on it, repaint and sell it.

I ordered the Keystone factory style floor pans and kept browsing craiglist for good deals on parts. I kept seeing a unlimited soft top for a great price but no deals on YJ tops. I got to thinking and began to search to see if anyone had stretched a YJ and used a LJ top. Low and behold I find "dukegnarly's" thread and I was instantly sold on the idea!

I called my local junk yard and bought a YJ tub that someone had hacked the cowl section off from. Bought the LJ top that I had been seeing on Craigslist. Finally I did some measuring and ordered some steel from my local supplier to build corner armor from.

Now I am in the process of replacing the floors in my super rusty tub to stiffen it back up some so that I can take it off the frame without it buckling! I think I am going to order the Classic Enterprises floor supports tomorrow as mine are beyond repairing!

Now for some pictures....

The day after I towed it home

My Attempt at a Wrangler YJ Unlimited

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
My Rusty Wrangler Project
LilViper95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow! You are taking on quite the project! Cant wait to see how it turns out!
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My Tub as it was delivered from the junkyard, looks way better in these pictures than it really is! has a lot of patching and bondo in the floors and rockers.

On my little trailer behind my JK about to get hacked up!

I will end up having to cut it back further I just wanted to get the tub down to a more manageable size to work with

I bought the LJ belt rails from the Jeep dealer, here is one sitting on the donor tub showing how much length difference there is!

I searched high and low for an LJ roll bar...the only one that I found the yard wanted ridiculous money for. I bought a TJ bar from my local yard instead. I will end up using the main hoop and front spreader bars and fabricating my own rear bars.

Here is the YJ with the LJ top sitting on it, also a junk TJ upper in the half door. I started pealing off the nasty decals too!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

here is the 3/16 steel I had bent up for corner armor. TJ in the back ground belongs to a couple who we are friends with. We built a nice set of tube fenders for it and painted it!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

holy rust!

good lucK!!!

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

These are the tube fenders that we built for the TJ. I am going to do something similar for this Jeep...possibly highlined.

These are 1.5" tubing bent on my JD2 model 4 bender. I think we used 16 gauge to skin them.

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I began cutting out the floor pans with the plasma cutter. I left the metal on the floor supports for now, need to drill out the spot welds and remove the remaining floor material.

This is where I ended up yesterday afternoon. It is tough to find time to work on this as I work 60 hours a week at my full time job during the weekdays, weekends I work as a reserve police officer at night, plus I have a wife and 13 month old son!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4x4xgeoff View Post
holy rust!

good lucK!!!
Not my first rodeo with rusty jeeps!!! It was pretty daunting the first time though!

I do a lot of antique car work which in northern new england always means rust repair! I just sold my 70 Challenger Convertible that had extensive rust repair done to it!

here are some of my older build threads

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...roject-526640/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/un...ubicon-968708/

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i got "lucky". my tub was fairly clean....but i sectioned my frame in 3 spots.

jeep spent 12 years in montpelier vt (according to the research i performed) before finding its way into a junkyard in RI for me to snag it

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

In the time since my last post, I went and picked this up!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-15-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That floor reminds me of the 63 and 65 Corvairs I had in the 70's. Chicago area salt turned both into Fred Flintstone mobiles. Will be watching with interest but my 89 is in good shape just wore out.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
rottenrobert
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow!!! I cant wait to see the transformation.
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had a couple of hours tonight to work on the old rusty jeep! I have the floors pretty well removed. The floor support channels that also serve as the body mounts are pretty well shot on this side of the jeep. I considered buying the classic enterprises prefabbed floor supports, however it would have cost around 200 for the 4 pieces that I need to replace (assuming pass side is just as bad as this side! I bought a bunch of steel from my local yards scrap pile and only have about 13 dollars invested in more steel than I will need to complete this repair!

I started with a piece of 2"x2" square tubing that is 1/8th inch thick. I cut 1/4 inch off of one side of the tubing to open it up into like a c channel. I then took a piece of 16 gauge steel and put a 90 degree bend in it with my metal brake (quite a task in a cheepo metal brake!) Welded the 16 gauge to my c channel and welded all of that to the good metal that remained of the factory brace.

Here are some pictures...

In this picture you can see the cage I am building for to capture the body mount nut.

I think that I am going to boat side the rockers, If I do that this piece will have to be cut down some!

Hopefully I can get another chance to get into the shop this week and rebuild the rearward body mount support channel. Then I will be pretty well wrapped up on this side and can start welding the floor pans in!

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon
Unread 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
stumpjumper09
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i know this is a little off topic but i have been searching everywhere and i was wondering if your gonna use these brackets that hold down the rear seat? if not can i have them? or buy them?
yj-jf-blah.jpg  
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
LilViper95
Web Wheeler

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpjumper09 View Post
i know this is a little off topic but i have been searching everywhere and i was wondering if your gonna use these brackets that hold down the rear seat? if not can i have them? or buy them?

Let me make sure they are both on the tub, if they are then they are yours...PM me your address

Past builds:
Unwrecking a Rubicon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.