My adventures into YJ ownership - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My adventures into YJ ownership

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #91
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3783 View Post

The 4BT is roughly 650lbs and the 6BT is 850-905+ dry weight not including flywheels etc. The torque can be tuned down the 6BT to get ever so slighty better mileage out of it, but power wise they are pretty much the same. If you get the whole donor truck it came from the 6BT could be cheaper in that you can sell the truck for scrap afterwards and it would have a lot of the lines, adapters etc already on it which saves money. But actually price differences I haven't went too far in depth with it. I'm mostly planning on the 4BT, so as time progresses I will just be acquiring parts I know I'll need for that swap 1 item 1 paycheck at a time til the big buy day.
Sounds good man I have the money its just the time it requires. I am going to attempt to successfully loosen the body mount bolts. I want to remove the tub because I have that rust to fix and also to be able to access Engine, Trans and re run all break and fuel lines. I know I know I am an optimist and maybe even borderline crazy to think that not one of those bolts is going to break. We shall see and thanx for the SUB man.

1992YJMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #92
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Completed the D30 install yesterday. Took quite a bit of time will all the parts I had to transfer over and even figuring out how to lift it without the back end coming off the ground. Ended up tow strapping the rear axle to the ground because there wasn't any great place to lift the front end up with the lift we had available. Playing teeter toter isn't what I had planned yesterday. Either way, got it to work. Pulled the tires off, disconnected the shocks, pulled the hub bolts off, rotors off, calipers off, and pulled the knuckles off since those where going on the new-ish axle. Anyone pulling the knuckles off, we got them off with a pitman arm puller on the top and a pickle fork on the bottom, switching back and forth til they came off. Pulled the front DS off, u-bolts off, breather tube off. Also disconnected the wiring to the vacuum system. Pulled the axle out and place the new-ish one in and reversed the process. Everything went on pretty easy. Installed the posi-lock cable as per the instructions.
imag0407_zps03e13e87.jpg   imag0409_zpsdd5470d1.jpg  
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Ken3783 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #93
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Rest of the pics, had issues with JF and photobucket with these.
d30.jpg   d302.jpg  
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #94
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Rest of the pics, had issues with JF and photobucket with these.
Totally jealous man but digging it.
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #95
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992YJMan View Post
Totally jealous man but digging it.
Thanks man. I think my back hurts more from this install than the 8.8 or maybe they've just compounded together.
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #96
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks man. I think my back hurts more from this install than the 8.8 or maybe they've just compounded together.
All in a days work right... I cut my arm on fender busted my middle knuckle even with gloves on and all the abrasions from work in tight spaces... At the end of the day its worth it.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #97
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All in a days work right... I cut my arm on fender busted my middle knuckle even with gloves on and all the abrasions from work in tight spaces... At the end of the day its worth it.
It really is worth it in the end, but you have to pay the toll to play, which is generally a causality of some sort.
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #98
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It really is worth it in the end, but you have to pay the toll to play, which is generally a causality of some sort.
Where is the like button for this comment.
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #99
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so my rear shocks were basically bottoming out on bumps on the stock mounts. The shocks just as long as the front so they have a bit of travel. So I was looking into relocation methods. Obviously M.O.R.E. came to mind but price and drilling into my frame and creating another breeding ground for rust is not the way I wanted to play this. Teraflex however has a rotating bar for the shocks that attaches to the stock mounts and it was $24 so I jumped on it. It needed the lower mounts to change the shock acting direction as well. Also had to do some exhaust work to get it out of the way. Cut the old exhaust out and put new stuff in and bolted the bar in and lower shock mounts and the shocks to the center adjustment hole. Lots more flex and all tires in the ground. Realize this isn't some crazy rock crawler but it will work for my usage.

forumrunner_20130501_180552.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_180614.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_180642.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_180717.jpg

forumrunner_20130501_180748.jpg
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #100
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok so my rear shocks were basically bottoming out on bumps on the stock mounts. The shocks just as long as the front so they have a bit of travel. So I was looking into relocation methods. Obviously M.O.R.E. came to mind but price and drilling into my frame and creating another breeding ground for rust is not the way I wanted to play this. Teraflex however has a rotating bar for the shocks that attaches to the stock mounts and it was $24 so I jumped on it. It need the lower mounts to change the shock acting direction. Also had to do some exhaust work to get it out of the way. Cut the old exhaust out and put new stuff in and bolted the bar in and lower shock mounts and the shocks to the center adjustment hole. Lots more flex and all tires in the ground. Realize this isn't some crazy rock crawler but it will work for my usage.
Heck yeah man saved some money and modified it to your purpose with out inviting our nemesis RUST. Looks good at least you have made progress ... My progress is so minute it is barely worth mentioning lol.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #101
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Heck yeah man saved some money and modified it to your purpose with out inviting our nemesis RUST. Looks good at least you have made progress ... My progress is so minute it is barely worth mentioning lol.
Thanks. Progress is progress. I know I've had lots of problems with the Jeep that have taken quite a bit of time and/or money to fix. It's all about the journey though. Much better than spending tons of cash to have some else to do it and much more fulfilling to be able to say you did it all. Keep up on your project. It's going in the right direction and it will look killer when it's all said and done.
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #102
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Completely off topic left field, but I was looking around and found this online and figured this would be my next project, minus all the chrome and useless sidesteps. Going to build up a Waggy with my boy and then give it to him. Maybe a diesel and 1 ton axles. Still a few years off but think it would be an awesome project and last for decades to come.
363842_106_full.jpg  
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #103
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Completed off topic left field, but I was looking around and found this online and figured this would be my next project, minus all the chrome and useless sidesteps. Going to build up a Waggy with my boy and then give it to him. Maybe a diesel and 1 ton axles. Still a few years off but think it would be an awesome project and last for decades to come.
It is so crazy because my family owned one for about 8 years from when we were in Wyoming until a couple years after we returnen to maryland. I loved that thing.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #104
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is so crazy because my family owned one for about 8 years from when we were in Wyoming until a couple years after we returned to maryland. I loved that thing.
I've never personally rode in one, but I think they are really nice and they last. It just seems like a good fit and a build I can really take my time on since it wouldn't be a DD.
AET1 USCG, Sitka, AK
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #105
1992YJMan
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I've never personally rode in one, but I think they are really nice and they last. It just seems like a good fit and a build I can really take my time on since it wouldn't be a DD.
Well that's a good point my jeep isn't my daily so maybe I shouldn't be stressing to much on not getting it all done at once

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.