Ok, this was the part I was nervous about drilling through my jeep skin, went well though. Picked up a hole saw for metal/wood that would fit my trailer hitch connector. Pulled the glove box out and made to sure to drill the hole relatively close to the windshield because of the plastic tubing from the heater was in there close as well. Drilled the holes for the bolts. Cut up an old bike tire for a gasket and got some black RTV and smeared it heavily around the gasket and inside the tub under the plug and bolts. Placed the wires in ahead of time labelled so I can just splice in the relays as I get them wired in. Put dielectric in the plug to keep the plug water free somewhat. Cleaned up any excess RTV on the outside. I think my buddy and I did a decent job.
As a purely cosmetic improvement, I decided to plastidip some things. I wanted to do my grill without removing radiator and such. So I pulled the winch off the light bezels and the covers for the front turn signals. Tape everything off and placed paper towels behind everything I didn't want painted. First try was a complete failure, lots of wind and ended up uneven and runny. Waited for it to dry and peeled it all off, which wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be....mostly time consuming. Second try, I used a piece of cardboard to block the wind and it went on with out an issue. Also plastidipped my spare tire to see if I liked it. I think it looks good. After it cures it wont chip or crack, though it will still peel off but will require more "persuasion". If I have time tonight I'll try and do the rest of the rims.
I had some time today, so I went ahead and finished up the lighting. Came out nice. Started with the relays. Originally I was going to drill holes into the firewall to mount these, decided against it. Had some 3M tape laying around, so I used that. Mounted them inside the dash above/behind the glove box. They are easy enough to get to should troubleshooting be required later. Drilled a hole near the relays for the relay and top lighting grounds. Routed the wiring behind the dash to associated areas. The power wires that go the battery, I combined and routed one wire through the firewall along with the black wire needed for the front fog lights since I only routed those wire into the engine bay last time. I attached a 30 amp inline fuse to the power wire at the battery. Wired up the front fog power and grounded the other wire to the same place the headlights were grounded. Placed the wires in a plastic shield. Got the yellow wires and attached them to their respective switches. Got the green wire and trimmed out down a lot since I wouldn't be attaching them to the highbeams at ALL and piggy backed them all to the lighter plug and attached them to the switches. Attached the grounding wires to one of the lighting panel screws. The kit came with inline fuses as well, so they are in the system too. 3 15 amp fuses for each battery power wire to the relay. 3 amp fuses for the green wire going to each switch. I included my wiring diagram that I used to keep them all straight, though it says Ign fusebox on there I wired them to the lighter instead. The lights all worked the first time and I tapped. ziptied and tacked everything in its proper place and re-assembled the Jeep. One more project down!
Looks great I like the contrast of the grill to body!
Thanks a lot! I was originally going to do just the black inserts for the grill but I have gotten real tired of ordering things and waiting, especially with all the axle rebuilding I've been doing here lately. Still waiting for my sway disconnects to come in, 6 weeks waiting. I figured why not do the whole grill.
Got the puller I just bought and pushed the old bearings out and pushed the new ones in. Easier said than done.....because it took most of the day to accomplish that. Got the to out of one then on the bottom one I snapped my 3/8 to 1/2 adapter since I didn't have a 7/8 in 1/2 drive. Went to the hardware store....again and bought that socket and the replacement adapter. I realize that with that much torque going, I shouldn't have been using an adapter....but I didn't want to hardware store. Either way got them all out....thanks youtube videos! I understood the basic principle but I wanted to see it anyway as I am a visual learner. Also doing it on the Jeep would have been so much easier but I didn't so it took some work to get the required to torque to get them out and in with the axle trying to spin itself off the jackstands. Back hurts now so I'm done for the night.
Yeah, just have had so many other projects going that it's kinda on the back burner til I can get 4WD back with this axle install. Wasn't planning on hitting any trails til I have all the items I need all tuned in, aka still waiting for the teraflex shock bar to come in and then I'll have to change up some exhaust stuff to fit that then I should be back in the dirt/sand/rock business.
Side note, replaced my hardtop seals front and sides, so now it doesn't whistle anymore 35+ mph.