My adventures into YJ ownership - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My adventures into YJ ownership

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #46
Demetri
1981 CJ7 

You're doing a rad job, keep it coming!

Demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #47
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetri View Post
You're doing a rad job, keep it coming!
Thx a lot. It's just forcing me to review and learn all associated Jeep parts by being a PITA. I revel in the jobs that go smoothly because they are far and few between. The new D30 is not that job....

"The locks on my doors are for your protection not mine."

My YJ Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...rship-1481851/
Ken3783 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #48
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cleaning the new old D30- Part 2

So I emptied the diff out and cleaned up some of the rust and grease caked on but more to do still.

And as far as the hub bolts being rounded off issue....here we go:
Tried cutting/grinding them off, but the 1 bolt on either side was to close to the knuckle parts to get a grinder or a dremel, but I was trying anyways. Got 1 bolt out by cutting and grinding then smacking it with a hammer, which loosened it enough that I was able to spin the bolt on the hub side and back it out. While trying to get the 2nd bolt out the same way it just wasn't cooperating with me. So I figured screw it, I'll drill it and try my Easy-out kit on it.....drill the hole and place the Easy-out bit in it and first spin......snap! Just broke my easy out in the back of this bolt. That's going to require titanium or cobalt bits to get out due to the tough nature of my Easy-out kit. At this point, I was pretty furious. Walked away and calmed down a bit. Dollar signs were spinning through my head. After a bit, I decided re-using the knuckles and axle shafts from my current axle would be fine as those are in great shape. So with a smile on my face, I walked back into the garage and took an angle grinder to the knuckles, top and bottom. They came right out.....go figure. There was chunks from the knuckles left on the bolts but with a pitman arm puller I was able to get the chunks pressed on the axle housing arm bolts off. Crisis averted. I will still pull the axle shafts off at work where I have access to a 20 ton press, but now its more "portable" shall we say. I'm keeping the axle shaft as spares. The pic of the cut knuckle/shaft combo was of the side that didn't get the bolt heads cut off, but they were just as rounded off and rusted as the first side. I'll take a pic of the really messed up side if you guys want.

Cleaned it some more. Pulled and inspected the shafts and components inside the disconnect housing....they look flawless, especially considering my recent issues. The vacuum junk will not be going back on but I placed it back just to keep it covered til the cable kit I bought for it can go it, which will be the same day the axle goes in. Tomorrow I'll probably cut off the old track bar connection as I will never need that again and its more weight and something else things can snag on.

That's it for me tonight.
imag0325_zpsfc448beb.jpg   imag0327_zps201e5bda.jpg   imag0326_zps314d967b.jpg   imag0328_zps9c323008.jpg   imag0329_zps013db530.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #49
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got some more work done on the D30. Cut and ground down the old front track bar mount that's not needed. Slapped a couple coats of rust reformer/primer on it. Pardon the mess in the painted photo but there many things going on at once on this axle and haven't had the chance to complete clean up quite yet.
imag0330_zpsdcc7b324.jpg   imag0331_zpseda24514.jpg  

Unread 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #50
7xes
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job, great progress as well. Im just starting on mine, plans are very similar to what you have already accomplished. Im going for a BDS lift kit as well, but can't decide between 3.5 or 5 springs. How do you like yours? What made you go with 5 if you dont mind me asking?
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #51
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7xes View Post
Nice job, great progress as well. Im just starting on mine, plans are very similar to what you have already accomplished. Im going for a BDS lift kit as well, but can't decide between 3.5 or 5 springs. How do you like yours? What made you go with 5 if you dont mind me asking?

Thx a lot. I like my BDS kit very much. It seems a little stiff but I'm sure the rattling as something to do with some of the other things that require tightening and/or replacement i.e. motor mounts, hard top weatherstripping, door adjustments. I've had to do a lot of piecing together to get the Jeep I want and there are some growing pains so to speak making them all coexist peacefully. The PO had a 3.5" Superlift that had walked out 1.5" but instead of fixing the left he added 2" shackle lifts to recoup the lost lift for the 33" tires. So I wanted at least a 4" lift to ensure proper tire/fender spacing and allow for some flex. The 4 1/2" lift was actually more expensive than the 5" with all the added extras on it at the time so I figured, cheaper and bigger....do it. Love to say that there was math figures to say it was the better choice, but I was thinking bigger, cheaper, sold! The BDS kit was great came with a lot of parts extra that I honestly didn't even need. Only complaint was it didn't have an option for sway bar disconnects and I'm still fighting with companies to send me a 10" center bar for the RE disconnects I bought later on, as the 6" bar isn't going to cut it on a 5" lift with 1" boomerang shackles...the sway bar is way to far away for that.

Unread 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #52
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got the axle shafts off the knuckles that were giving me trouble. Got to use my impact wrench I just bought, worked like a charm because the breaker bar just wasn't cutting it. Now, I have some spare axle shafts. It seems in my hastiness to cut the knuckles off, I was a little careless one section and cut part way through a ball joint bolt.....so new ball joints on the way. Rockauto FTW, only cost me 88 including shipping for all of them. Ordering a ball joint service kit as well. Finished the paint on the D30, same as the back Hammered Black and body colored Silver Metallic for the cover.
imag0333_zps5716b0f1.jpg   imag0334_zps96e12860.jpg  

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #53
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hella 500 lighting

Lots of pics on this one, and not the best since it was dark:

OK, so since I have to wait for parts for the D30 axle, I started on my lighting install. Started early and ended late in the evening. For the forward fog lights, I drilled a hole in the bumper in between them and routed them down the right side to another hole I drilled out. Used grommets where I could and black RTV on everything else. Mounted the front lights and routed the wiring from the bumper up underneath the winch and into the engine bay and then up to the battery. Connecting all the relays at a later date, this is merely the hard mounting of all the lighting and wiring. Mounted up all the top lighting, 2 driving lights (center), 2 fog lights (outside). Wired up all the grounds together and the driving lights together and the fog lights together so it would be less wiring to deal with and easier troubleshooting later on. Drilled a hole in the top of the roof rack cage bar and routed the wiring down it and out another hole I drilled. Again put in grommets top and bottom to keep the wires from messed up. I installed the wiring at the end to the 4 pin round trailer plug and filled it with black RTV. At this point it was getting late so I wrapped the plug in a ziplock and ziptied it to the cage til the next stage of the lighting install.
imag0335_zpsb0e238f7.jpg   imag0336_zps118582b5.jpg   imag0337_zps95bb44ad.jpg   imag0338_zps16206788.jpg   imag0339_zps19653113.jpg  

imag0340_zps04c745cc.jpg   imag0341_zpsfacadb21.jpg   imag0342_zps73c571ea.jpg   imag0343_zps7c83355d.jpg   imag0344_zps54407fb7.jpg  

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

More

Hit the max on the last post for pics so here's the last one of the entire thing. Again it's dark so not the best photo.
imag0345_zps28718682.jpg  

Unread 04-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #55
Benzfrd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This rig is sweet man. I am gonna try to relocate and replace my radio. How hard was that job and any thing I should look out for ?
Benzfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #56
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzfrd View Post
This rig is sweet man. I am gonna try to relocate and replace my radio. How hard was that job and any thing I should look out for ?
Thanks! Depends on the radio and the location. Its not too bad a job though. I relocated mine from the dash to the center console right when I got it. The PO had done a really bad job with the aftermarket radio install that was in there so it wasn't a plug and play kinda deal. As I cut each wire I labelled/numbered them all on both sides, aka radio plug side 1 and then Jeep side 1 so on and so forth. Then got basic wiring from a trailer towing wire kit and labelled that according and ran the wiring behind the dash and under the carpeting into the center console. Also got an antenna extender cable and ran it under the carpeting as well. I had a hard time finding a pin out for the radio that was installed, mostly because it was a generic radio type, so I kinda winged it. If you get radio, try and get the adapter plug for it so it wont be as big of a headache but you'll still need to lengthen the wiring for relocation. Try and use good splices for the wiring so it stands the test of time.

Unread 04-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got a better pic in the daylight

forumrunner_20130414_150957.jpg

Unread 04-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #58
bck4more
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Your jeep is looking great bro.
bck4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #59
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bck4more View Post
Your jeep is looking great bro.
Thanks very much! Still have a few more big ticket projects to do before the move.

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #60
Ken3783

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Got some axle presents in the mail today, just need the Puller kit now.

forumrunner_20130416_113801.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.