So I had some grinding start today with the axle on the right side.... I believe it might be RH side wheel bearing, though I'm not ruling out the dust shield contacting, new brake wear, or the dreaded e-brake shoes. I didn't replace the bearings to begin with because they seemed fine. I'm sure sitting in a junkyard for however long and added stress and heat from operating after all that junkyard lag time aided in its destruction. I'll fix it in a couple days....
On a positive note, got the rear DS adapter installed at my local shop for $75. He ordered the adapter and pressed it in for that cost. Installed it in the Jeep and as if by magic it started snowing here again during my installation. Can't seem to do any Jeep work here without it snowing during it. The pinion angle my buddy and I setup seems work just fine. Test drove it and no driveline vibs. Awaiting the wheel bearings, seals, bearing puller and slide hammer to finish off the job.
Current projects: Awaiting the bearings and seals still...they seem to be taking their sweet time arriving. Received the tools though for the wheel bearings.
Also as far as the aux lighting for the roof rack, the 4 hella 500s, found the connecting piece I was looking for. Using a 4 pin round connector for trailer wiring.
This will be mounted behind the hood on the right side. This is so I can unplug the lighting system easily for rack/hardtop removal and I can keep the elements
out of my jeep. Being an electrician, I'm sure I will find a way to waterproof this plug more effectively...plug covers, dielectric, so on and so forth.
Replaced the wheel bearings this evening. With all the tools at my disposal the job was actually quite easy, at least easier than I expected. Drained the housing, pulled the tires, brakes and rotors off. Took off the bolt going to the center pin going between the spider gears. Without pulling the pin, I rotated the carrier for ease of access of the c-clips. Pulled the pin out then got pliers and pulled the right side c-clip out. The left side required a angled scribe to pull out, but easy enough. Pulled the shafts out easily. The seals were kind of a pain because they were old and didn't want to come out. Got a screwdriver and a hammer and pushed them in a little further to free it from the rust build up and they came out soon after. Got the puller and slide hammer and came right out. Put all the new hardware in easy. Reversed the process and replaced the housing gasket on the back. Filled with oil. Also forgot to mention that I found a lot of wear on the dust shield on the right side, hammered it away from the rotor as much as I thought i needed. Took it for a drive and the grinding noise is still there, so I'm convinced it was the shield the whole time. Not mad though because I got to do a easy replacement and learn some new things about my jeep. Have to hammer out that shield a lot more later, but now I'm not worried about the axle shafts getting damaged. Pic is just of us pulling the old bearings out.
1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up
my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up
RC vs BDS
Got a new cover from UCF for the dana 30 with the 4.11's I need to match the 8.8. Haven't bought the axle yet, just acquiring parts. Have a cable axle lock kit coming as well to get rid of the vacuum setup.
Got a few things done today. Got the Aux lighting panel switches placed where I want them. First pic shows where exactly they were placed. Then because of the PO, I couldn't just drill holes in the plastic and be done. Had a piece of 12"x12" thin sheet metal piece laying around from when I was matching paint for the doors way back when. Eyeballed approx how big a piece I needed and a little extra, placed on plastic piece and bent it around to keep it in place. Drilled the holes approx where I thought they should go. Didn't have a drill bit that large so I had to make due with what I had. Tight fit for the switches but they went in. Drilled an extra hole for the back lights when I get those. Re-assembled.
Painted the D30 cover up. Made an extension bracket for the front bumper lighting, since those tabs are too close. Primed and used truck bed liner via spray can.
Took awhile but I found a viable front axle. Came out of this bright light blue 95 YJ. It was buried pretty deep in the only mud puddle in the lot. Didn't think to bring my hi-lift, though it would have helped tremendously. Got enough tire rims stacked under the frame to keep the axle out of the mud and clay. PB blasted everything and pulled it out. Took 3 hours but several things were seized up very well. Even broke a brand new pair of vise-grips. Seems in decent enough shape and R&P gearing is worn but still has plenty of life.
Well, I hit a snag in the D30 rebuild. The Knuckle/Hub bolts are rusted and rounded off and I can't get them out yet. I tried looking for similar issues for solutions but all the ones I found didn't quite answer the question I have. While I know heat and PB work wonders, the bolts already being previously rounded or rusted and turning to powder, won't help. Are the Knuckles threaded, because if they aren't I'll just cut the bolt heads off and knock the hub/axle out and vise grip the broke bolts out with it removed. I could even use my other D30 axle shafts/hubs in this one. Just not seeing anything on that bit of info. It's kind of a show stopper til then.
Edit: Looked at google images of the knuckles. Don't look threaded so I'll cut them off and knock them off and worry about it off the axle.