Ordered in a Mile Marker winch. Came in and installed promptly. Directions were straight forward. Wiring down to the main housing (red, green, yellow) was a little tight
and the covers required some prodding but went on regardless. Routed the wiring into the grill and under the right hand side headlight and back to the battery.
While I was looking around the engine bay for ideas of dual battery mounting options, I noticed these engine mounts shot. Ordered in some M.O.R.E.
mounts basic without zinc coating, to save some cash. Painted them myself and waiting for it to dry for install sometime shortly. They have polyurethane
bushings as well.
Last edited by Ken3783; 03-07-2013 at 08:50 PM..
Reason: Paint dried.
Removed numerous components from the axle to clean it up. I was going to attempt to re-use the old calipers and lines but decided I didn't want to deal with the time wasted if said parts were beyond repair. Bought new rotors, pads, calipers, e-brake shoes (springs were fine), and ready made brake lines from ECGS. I have to say though, I will never deal with e-brake shoes again! Attempted to install these solo for the first hour then gave up and had my wife help with tools, light, and general place holding. Those springs are unbelievably tight. Wear gloves and keep your fingers out of that industrial grade mouse trap as much as possible. I should also note here that didn't remove the axle shafts so that a lot of the complications. Gears appeared fine and axle shafts moved very nicely so I opted to not worry about them. As far as paint goes, I went with a black "hammered" paint from Rust-Oleum. Still awaiting brake lines, M.O.R.E. 8.8 swap kit and UCF diff cover.
Got the brake lines from ECGS today and mocked them up in place to get a rough estimate of appearance, placement and fit. Should work fine and I won't need to create an adapter of any kind for the brakes which had me worried for a bit. Awaiting the UCF diff cover to finalize the build.
Started by getting the old D35 out. Pulled brake lines, breather tube, ABS wiring (thought the harness is still at the fuel tank is still there), E-brake lines. Popped the shocks out and pulled the leaf springs apart. At this point the bolt that went through the wedges to the springs from my BDS lift were broken.....so acquired more hardware and shaved the bolt head into a circle (to fit through the bottom of the perch). I did not re-install the wedges since we would be able to set our own angle and didn't want to add to the lower of the rear-end anymore than I had to.
Welded the tubes to the housing. Placed the 8.8 in its spot and put the perches and the u-bolts and plates in. Adjusted the pinion angle to about where we thought it should be. Measured the axle flange (where it bolts the dust plate) to the perches to ensure that the was correctly centered. Loosely tightened the u-bolts and put the tires back on and lowered the lift to ensure the angle was right for the DS. Lifted it, removed tires again and tacked the perches in place. We flipped the axle over carefully and welded the perches on completely. Flipped it back over and measure the angles and positioning of the shock mounts. Tacked those in place, flipped, welded, flipped again. Got the brake line kit from ECGS and welded the mounts provided in the kit, once we figured out the most effective positioning. Tightened the u-bolts down and installed the shocks again. The shocks were not fun, as we found the first time we put them in on the BDS install awhile back. Got a floor jack and got in place and bolted. The bump stops from the D35 don't exactly fit the beefy 8.8 so we shaved down the side that would normally go under the u-bolt and placed it in between the u-bolts and welded in place. Installed the brake lines and used the t-fitting from the D35. The E-brake cables i was not apparently ready for so they remain fully installed, though I now know how to go about it. Bled the brakes, took awhile. Got the DS out, because I don't have the adapter flange yet. It will be taken care of Monday though. Put the gasket material on and filled the housing. The diff cover I got doesn't have the greatest seal apparently because it has a slow leak out of a bolt head right now but I will fix that promptly. Put tires back on lowered and placed in 4hi and drove it from the shop to the house, not far approx 2 miles. More info and pics to follow. I'm exhausted.
This my version of the E-brake solution, picked up from a couple of forums I read and adapted for my own YJ. I got 2 1/4" X 5/16" brake adapters and drilled the center out so only the center cable would slide through. I got 2 5/16" inverted flare fittings, but a standard nut could be used here more effectively, to secure the brake adapter on the bracket. I cut the outer housing carefully through the rubber and metal sleeve with a Dremel. Measured everything out so there was approximately the same amount of cable exposed at the YJ E-brake cable assembly. Used cable swags to crimp the cable in place on the YJ system. The first swags didn't not take, because I apparently get them tight enough. 2nd set I put in fencing pliers and smashed it in with a hammer....that one took. Tightened everything down. Tested good. Hope this was descriptive enough and had enough pics.