My 99 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 99 TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

My 99 TJ

This is a long time coming. I have always wanted a jeep since I was a kid and finally got one a year ago. Figured I would start this build thread since I have been adding to my jeep. Below are pics of the jeep.

Dueces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So the day after I bought it, I destroyed the spider gears.... It was doing something I wasnt suppose to be doing lol so instead of just fixing it I upgraded to an ECGS ford 8.8 The specs are

3.73 gears
detroit trutrac
rustoleum hammer finish

Im going to add the c-clip eliminator and chromo shafts later but right now Im trying to get my suspension sorted out.

You can really see the difference in size between the D35 and the 8.8

Unread 09-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So since I was replacing the axle I decided to replace the shocks also. They were RE shocks and the shaft and body of the shocks were rusted pretty bad, in fact when I got them out they wouldnt fully compress. It was because the shaft was rusted so bad. The front shocks were the biggest pain because the nuts were rusted and liquid wrench didnt help, so I had to cut them off with a dremil. Here is the only remaining pic I have of the shocks, since I lost all my pics.

The new shocks are Black Diamond ATX shocks. I got the cheapest descent ones because I was low on money from buying a new axle. After having them for a year the are riding noticeably stiffer.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

About 2 months ago after coming back from deployment I did the dry steer test on my jeep and noticed the track bar was loose. Instead of just tightening it, i bough a currie 1/2" track bar, because I still had the stock one and it had been relocated by drilling another hole a little bit closer to the driver side. the TB has a 1/2" bolt in the axle end and a 5/8" bolt at the frame. The steering got a lot tighter. My only complaint is that it come with about and inch long scratch on it right out of the packaging. Other than that the thing is amazing. Ill have to search for pics later on my old phone later and then update.
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so finally caught up to present time. I just ordered a SYE kit from Tom Woods and reap upper control arms from Metal Cloak. I dont have the money right now to replace all the control arms but once I do, Ill be replacing them with Metal Cloak arms. Ill post pics when the SYE kit arrives next week and some pics of me putting it in.
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So this past week I spent my time installing the SYE kit, it took me a couple of nights a little bit at a time taking everything apart and about one day evening to install the kits. Here are some pics of the tear down.

I put one of the jackstands under the bell housing and then used the floor jack to remove the skid. Then I put another jackstand under the transmission mount for added security.
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Next I started to pull the transfer case apart. It is pretty simple especially if you have good locking ring pliers. I got mine from sears. It is also easier to drain the transfer case with the skid off, because if you dont then all the fluid is just going to get all over the skid.

Getting the front drive shaft yoke was a PITA, the write up that i read said to use a monkey wrench to hold the yoke while you try to undo the nut. The only monkey wrench i had was an antique, so needless to say i ended up bending it. So I put it in 4hi to try to lock it in place(had it in neutral so it was easier to take rear drive shaft off) and I ened up spinning the engine, i then put it into 4low and that did the trick.

Unread 09-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
TJchet
Blackout in progress

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be watching your build - I just bought a SYE and will see how it goes for you. Good luck!
Unread 09-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

My SYE kit from tom woods arrives on thursday and here are some pics.

a comparison of output shafts. Bottom is stock, and top is the Advanced Adapters shaft

a comparison of driveshafts. Bottom is the stock one, and top is the tom woods one. The only complaint i have with the tom woods drive shaft is that the paint job sucks. The paint comes off really easily on it.

Unread 09-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Finally it installed

I am still waiting on the adjustable upper control arms from metal cloak. should be coming in on friday. hopefully i am home in time from work because the package requires a signature.
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJchet View Post
I'll be watching your build - I just bought a SYE and will see how it goes for you. Good luck!
I followed this build thread to install the kit. http://www.4x4xplor.com/SYE-CV.html I did a couple of things differently. Theu said the tap on the side of the tail housing with a rubber mallet to get it off. I came in from the passenger side and from the front of the jeep and rested a bar on a piece of the tail housing sticking out yhe side and was able to tap it straight off. Ill post a pic of that when I get home. Also to take the front yoke off. It works a lot better if you have the transfer case in 4low. That way you dont need to use a monkey wrench to hold the yoke in place.
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So my metalcloak rear upper control arms came in today. I thought it was going to be an easy job, but after going to harbor freight and lowes twices... not sooo much. First thing that gave me trouble was getting the passenger side frame bolt out. I had to undo the rear most exhaust mount and then pull down on the muffler and pull toward the driver side to get it out. Next was drilling out the the mounting holes. MC says to get a 7/16th drill bit. Well and went to lowes and got one... the hole was too small for the bolt. So I decided to drill it out to 1/2"(1/2" bolts do fit their arms). Well to drill out the axle end mounts i had to get a really short drill bit and a really long one. i used the short one for the inside holes and the long one to come in from the outside. I had to take the tire off to do this. The long drill bit also helps to drill out the frame side mount on the passenger side. You have to take the tire off and come through the frame, there is a hole that you can guide your drill bit through. Otherwise you have to take both exhaust mounts off to come in from the other way. To set the pinion angle i got a digital angle finder from harbor freight, it works pretty good for only $24.

Unread 12-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So I got the rest of my metalcloak control arms and installed them a couple of weeks ago. I am just now getting around to posting the pics. They were pretty easy to install. I mostly got them because i couldnt adjust rear upper low enough. I am still getting vibes, so I am going to have to chase that down.

Here is a comparison of my old RE arms and the new metalcloak arms

The bushings for the RE arms were ovaled out a bunch. Whenever I backed up out of my driveway I could hear a click and the rear end adjust. Now with the new MC arms its not doing that.

some control arm pics

The arms are awesome. I deffinetly dont feel as many bumps on the road as I used to. My hard top used to rattle all the time going over small bumps, not I dont even hear it.
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so it been awhile since I posted in this. I just bought a bunch of stuff for my jeep. In the past week I have got and installed a novak cable shifter, jks bl, savvy mml, currie 3in springs, and bilstein 5100 shocks. I was suppose to get the savvy bump stops in the mail, but they kinda forgot to mail it. So I will be installing those next weekend. Here are some picks of the new stuff I got.

the novak cable shifter

savvy mml

bilstein 5100s

currie 3in springs

dont have a pic of the jks body lift.
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #15
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

So the first thing i installed was the cable shifter. I had a hard time finding the bolts that held in the stock mount to the tub. I then realized that the PO had herculined over them.

it was pretty easy to scrape off the bedliner with a flat headscrew driver, but still kinda annoying.

One of the best things that I ever bought for for my toolbox are these universal joint adapters for my socket wrench. I got them at SEARS. They are awesome and help you get into tight spots, especially when I was getting this bracket out.

picture of it installed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.