my 99 cherokee 2 door sport "pepper" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > my 99 cherokee 2 door sport "pepper"

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my 99 cherokee 2 door sport "pepper"

well, since my old photobucket account stopped working, i figured itd be easier to have my old thread deleted and make a new one.

so back in 2006, i had my license for 2 months, my first car i bought off my parents was a 1996 chrysler sebring jx that i kept up for my mom..i bought it for $2,000. well, i realized that i needed something that can get me anywhere i want to especially in the winter (almost lost my job due to blizzards and not being able to leave the driveway in time.) so after alot of looking, i found a 99 2 door xj, bone stock, carfax for the entire life of the jeep. was owned by an older guy that lived in virginia, religous maintenance schedules, no accidents, very clean.

stock specs: 4.0, AX-15, NP231, D30HP and C8.25 29 spline no modifications what so ever.

the day i got it

a week after i got it, there was a blizzard, i was on probation for work for previous times when i couldnt make it due to the car. well, this day, half the workers couldnt show because they couldnt leave their driveway but almost getting stuck twice, i made it on time! already knew i made a great choice getting this rig!

so time for some mods, first thing was a cb, and when it was cool, the its a jeep thing sticker

then came some baja fog lights

then came herculined rockers

then came the surco roof rack

then came 4 hellas on the roof

then after realizing i need some rear recovery points, came a jcr offroad bumper

then came the lift, i was debating between a 3" or 4.5"..i decided i better go bigger then end up realizing i didnt go big enough the first time, glad i did! but i didnt have money for tires at the time so it stayed on 30s for awhile.

then one night, i was with my girlfriend and like an idiot, wheeling with my front tow hooks off while i was switching the hooks, i went into the last puddle but being spring and all the snow just melting, ended up being to deep. the water was up to about the headlights, the engine bogged and it hydrolocked before i could shut it off..my friend had her fullsize blazer down there but she had a loop tow point so there wasnt enough rope to reach me. then luckily, these big *** chevys came down one pulled me out and we tried roll starting it for some reason i dont remember why, and on one attempt, the trucks bumper slid up over mine and put a huge dent in the hatch. ended up towing it home with my friends blazer towing off the axle..i know i know, bad but its all we could do..never let any slack in the rope so all was good. here it is the day after..my custom alternator shield bent down

heres the oil after i changed it, ended up having about 7 quarts come out..whoops

then some more wheeling haha right before the soft 8s and 33s

then bought some nearly bald cooper stts off a friend for $100

well, in dresser, blew out a 33 and got my current set of 33x12.5 procomp mud terrain xtremes for $400 about 3/4 tread

and this was my graduation picture bwahahaha had the rack on for like 3 weeks and then the weight of the spare broke it. swing out in the works

and heres how she sits now as of 11/22/10

ill get some pictures of some wheeling up soon, still putting stuff on my new photobucket account

Unread 01-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

This thing has come a long way from when you first joined up Looks awesome. How's the black liner do?
2001 XJ CRAPPY ABS (Sold)
1998 XJ RC 6.5. 31x10.5. (Sold)
(Current)1996 XJ 4.5 RE super-flex kit. 33x10.5 (Locked and loaded) All were DD
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewally9 View Post
This thing has come a long way from when you first joined up Looks awesome. How's the black liner do?
ugh, i regret doing that...i thought it would hold up alot better than it does. when i get the mustang running enough to not have to worry about it overheating and get the suspension replaced (rides worse than the jeep), im gonna strip off the herculiner, take off the bumpers, paint the bumpers and either do a roll on or have maaco paint the jeep. the herculiner sitcks on perfectly flat surfaces, but on edges it chips real easy and i got down to bare metal and cleaned it the best i could.
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

heres some wheeling pics..been on 3 trips so far

Trollhaugen in dresser, WI

Apple Valley Farms in chetek, WI

Iron Range in gilbert, MN

Dresser

AVF

Iron Range

[IMG]http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad64/aircruiserxj/wheeling/378.jpg
[/IMG]

thats all ive done so far..still plan on going to dresser again over memorial day weekend and i hope to have long arms by then

next mods:

iron rock critical path long arms
new 35s (wrangler duratracs or km2s)
re-gear to 4.10s or 4.56s

Last edited by aircruiser; 01-25-2010 at 12:55 AM..
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
offroadnut36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

wow, I remember back when she was all one color on 5" and 30s that was quite a while ago. and DAMN she looks sexy now!
offroadnut36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

haha thanks bud yeah i like the black on red and im gonna keep it that way, just sick of dealing with herculiner. ill take scratches over chipping any day.
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
offroadnut36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

no problem, and yeah id take scratches over chips any day too. Im about to go up to 33s pretty soon, i was wondering if you still have stock gears? and how much power loss did you feel?
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
glo0my
1993 ZJ 

nice build, man!
glo0my is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #9
nameless
1988 MJ Comanche 

looks good!!

what lift are you running?

reno4x4.com
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadnut36 View Post
no problem, and yeah id take scratches over chips any day too. Im about to go up to 33s pretty soon, i was wondering if you still have stock gears? and how much power loss did you feel?
yeah im running the stock 3.07s haha power loss was significant but not horrible..ill probably be going to 35s soon enough and in the future regear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo0my View Post
nice build, man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
looks good!!

what lift are you running?
thanks all, im running IROs 4.5" lift that netted me 6" in the front and its got 3.5" full packs with 1.5" lift shackles and BDS bottom leafs. IRO critical path is in the future.
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

so i might be getting these once the stang gets fixed up..i gotta put a rad in that, passengers seat and a shock. sooooo i dunno how long but i wanna have em on before i start school.

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #12
offroadnut36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
so i might be getting these once the stang gets fixed up..i gotta put a rad in that, passengers seat and a shock. sooooo i dunno how long but i wanna have em on before i start school.

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
Sweet! I have an 02 stang...just a v6 and I just had to rebuild the diff. carrier. lol Thanks for the reply!
Unread 01-11-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

oh nice man mines just a 4 banger..i think only mod will be 15s and wider tires. my 195/65/14 firestones blow big time..and they look like bicycle tires..
Unread 01-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #14
backwoodz

did u paint ur grill? i like!!
RE 3.5" Super-ride W/ rear springs..31" BFG M/T KM 2's..C4x4 tow hooks, 2 12" MTX subs, 2 pioneer 6x9's, pioneer head unit, Autopals w/ H4 bulbs, Clear corners, 5% tint-wayy to dark but I love it, No Muffler
backwoodz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yup painted the slots silver..im diggin it too haha i gotta re-do it soon though.

ok heres the plan now..

over the summer

35x12.5 KM2s or bighorns
long arms
sye
2" coil spacers and 5.5" leafs to get me at 7" of lift
re-gear to 4.56s
then maybe OTK steering

AAAAHHHH the list never ends!!! how the hell do i get un-addicted to this??

girlfriend is starting to hate me now haha i cancelled a romantic dinner cause i wanna save for tires bwahaha

oh yeah, might install the fogs i got for xmas as rock lights this weekend..cant decide if i wanna do that or put em as reverse lights..probably will end up being rock lights..to big for reverse lights..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.