Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My 97 TJ Build Current Work in Progress

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  ItsJustD 
#1 ·
Thanks for viewing my build thread. I bought my TJ in august 09 which is my first jeep but not first off road truck and not new to wheeling.
When i Bought It:
151k miles
Destroyed Exhaust
Interior Pretty Beat up
Balding 32's
terrible brakes
4" Skyjacker
Ugly Rims
Broken KC Lights
Loud ticking in engine not running to great.
Softtop pieces missing.

So It had some issues but nothing too bad.

Here is a pic about a week after i Bought it.

August:
So first thing I did was fix all the problems. Did a complete tune up with new brakes and had the radiater professionally cleaned out. Threw on a new Exhaust manifold to get rid of the ticking then took it up to Buckys and had a complete new exhaust put in from the manifold back. I then detailed the mother out of the jeep and found that all i needed for the top was a retaining rod. The interior needed a few parts mainly the shifter bezel I remember.
September:
Early september I sold my streetbike and decided to put the money into the jeep. I started with a Warn winch bumper and M8000 Winch included all the goodies as well as a hi-jack. I bought some used boggers off craigslist and had them mounted on new steel wheels at les schwab. After a few other small things and an aussie locker in my dana 30 the bike money was gone.
October:
This month I took out the whole interior and had the inside Professionaly Rhino Lined.
November:
With christmas coming I only managed to get a cb, speaker, and antenna
December:
Also due to christmas almost went a month without an upgrade but my Wife got me some new KC lights I wanted.
January:
I got the matching warn Rock Crawler Rear Bumper ( still dont have the tire carrier)
February:
Had my first major break. Broke a drivers dana 30 axle Shaft destroying the carrier in the process. I was winching out my bro's stuck 4runner on 35's and trying to back up I know mad choice. He was swamped. I had the dana 30 Completely tore down and rebuild with Chromoly axles, new carrier, bearings ect Also the aussie was reinstalled.
March:
Just picked up another set of 33 bfg MTR's with matching rims for road use. Got a bit tired of riding the boggers to work every day.

Anyways thanks for viewing my build Its still a work in progress and here are some pics. These were taking the day I broke my axle a few weeks back.

See less See more
#3 ·
I Figured its time to update whats going on with me Jeep so Here Goes.
April: 1" Daystar Body Lift - Super easy install and just like others have said the directions are pretty crappy.
May: Decided I Was sick of my stock speakers/radio So I added new Alpine 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and in the sound bar. I also finally got rid of the stock tape player for a nice Sony Deck with Ipod Control.
June: Had some custom made rock sliders put on. They are welded right to the frame and extremely strong.

I Have also made the decision to regear my 30 to 4.88's and put a d44 with 33spline axles and detroit locker in my rear. I will be purchasing these goods at the 4wheelparts summer sale Ill be sure to post up as soon as that job is done. Here are some Recent Pics.

#4 ·
Ok so I just got some stuff installed. A little variation from the last post but I regeared my front dana 30 to 4.88. And put in a dana 44 with 33 spline chromoly axles with a arb air locker. I was able to trade an old set of 33 bfg's I had laying around for an arb compressor. Ive also got the compressor setup to air up tires. It will run my air gun put not well enough to be effective yet so ill be adding a secondary tank here soon. I love having these 4.88 gears such a massive improvement.

#5 ·
Well the Jeep is starting into a pretty major change. It will probably take most of the summer and possibly beyond to finish the currect project but here is where it sits now.

removing the radiator

2.5L is so small. you Shouldnt be able to do this in a jeep.

My brother lending a hand

Using the DA on the grill

First time ever painting

BALI GREEN

Currie Steering

Getting ready to install the electric fan

Steering Setup

Well its the first time we ever painted. We are slowly painting the Jeep piece by piece it should be a pretty cool green/black color scheme. We also installed a ford 2 speed and Currie Steering with Rancho Steering Stabilizer.

More to Come

#7 ·
Here is another pic. I painted the doors a few days ago now that was a pain completely stripping the door down. Still a lot of painting to do hopefully it will be done by the end of summer.

#9 ·
Thanks.
I cant wait until its done but I have been rediculously busy lately working 60+ hours a week, on top of that I have a 3 year old son, and an extremely needy yard. On the bright side Ill be installing a new Currie lift with Antirock and rear Johnny Joint Trac Bar hopefully next week but that does mean the painting is going to get put on hold a little bit longer.

#10 ·
i almost think the green looks good just the way it is now, different, but really eye catching, great build keep it up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.