Starting this build thread for a second time, now that I can actually drive the Jeep. Digging through I managed to find a decent amount of pictures to go along with what I've done. Starting out;
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport completely bone stock, non working alternator.... fast forward 4.5" Rough Country AAL Lift Kit and worked on the alternator to leave me here.
Last edited by Cjvillar; 11-19-2012 at 04:54 AM..
Reason: Wrong thread
After that I tore apart the inside and saw a problem, nice big rust spot in the front passenger side
I decided to sand down the entire floor and fiberglass the holes, that's what happens when the Jeep sits for years, all over scattered about as seen in the picture
After that I reprinted the entire floor in hopes to prevent this again
Before calling it a day we cut the fenders and trimmed the bumper, painitng it black and adding 3700lb DRings
Now that it looked nice and pretty, it had to get home from the trail. $200 and a phone call later I had a nice used winch to help get out of any sticky situation.
Now that I had the winch, I needed a front and back receiver so I could take it on and off. I cut up and welded a receiver and mounted it into position. I repeated this process in the back and just cut holes in the bumper to accommodate for the winch plate... which I welded up and used a trailer hitch pin to lock into position.
The next project tackled was the roof rack... instead of spending hundreds on a roof rack, I took apart my old trampoline and used that. Utilizing the factory mounting bolts, I cut L Brackets to connect everything together. The lights were got off amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Annt-Square-li...D+flood+lights and welded to the rack as well.
With all the additional lights I would be adding, I bought a battery isolator to separate everything. Thanks to a broken PowerWheels car, I salvaged that battery and ran all the wiring up. Even though the LEDs don't draw much power I was planning for the future.
While I didn't take any pictures, I hooked up a CB radio and mounted the antenna onto the rack... that has since been turned parallel to the roof for obvious height restrictions. Next up was a Safari Snorkel, and drilling into the body. Now that it was trail ready... it needed some trail tires. General Grabber 33" ATs were gonna do fine.
As you can see, I put a brush guard onto the bumper and some KC Spot lights as well... to beefen up the front a little. This was just a couple of grade 8 bolts and drilling into the bumper again. This was all I did before registering and beginning to actually drive Roxanne.
Now that I DD the Jeep, I get tons of ideas from seeing other XJs on the road, for example I mounted the Hi-Lift onto the hood. All I did was use two bolts, a couple washers, and wing nuts to be able to take it off when needed. To lock it, I bent an I-bolt and dropped a trailer hitch lock into one of the holes on the Hi-Lift, Im sure there were much more expensive and longer ways of doing this as well but to each their own.
After getting that flex shot, I realized I needed to trim the fenders, which I did with simple cutting shears. I cut straight 1 or 1.5" strips and bent them back up with a hammer, still need to paint over them to prevent any rust. I followed the stock contour line to keep the look the same, but gained a good 2" or so around the wheel well in the rear. This took about an hour or so of time and was not too difficult.
Picked up some new speakers and had the privilege of wiring those up into the passenger doors.... Basically look behind the drivers side corner panel right by the hatch and rerun the wires to both doors. I Ran the passenger side through the head panel just to shorten things up. You'll have to remove the OS handles and all the trim up to there to be able to run the wires. Then drill holes into the rubber matting after you remove the door panels. Two screws in arm rest, then the screw on the plate with the window switches. Cut a piece of wood slightly larger than my door kickers and mounted them up. After wiring it all up and making sure the connections were good I wrapped it up for the day.