My 96 XJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 96 XJ build

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My 96 XJ build

Starting this build thread for a second time, now that I can actually drive the Jeep. Digging through I managed to find a decent amount of pictures to go along with what I've done. Starting out;
1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport completely bone stock, non working alternator.... fast forward 4.5" Rough Country AAL Lift Kit and worked on the alternator to leave me here.

img_0290.jpg

Last edited by Cjvillar; 11-19-2012 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: Wrong thread
Cjvillar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
jesse12296
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Xj..You should get some pictures of it from further away

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1994-jeep-cherokee-slow-highschool-build-1398809/
jesse12296 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

After that I tore apart the inside and saw a problem, nice big rust spot in the front passenger side
I decided to sand down the entire floor and fiberglass the holes, that's what happens when the Jeep sits for years, all over scattered about as seen in the picture

After that I reprinted the entire floor in hopes to prevent this again
Before calling it a day we cut the fenders and trimmed the bumper, painitng it black and adding 3700lb DRings
image.jpg   img_0284.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now that it looked nice and pretty, it had to get home from the trail. $200 and a phone call later I had a nice used winch to help get out of any sticky situation.

Now that I had the winch, I needed a front and back receiver so I could take it on and off. I cut up and welded a receiver and mounted it into position. I repeated this process in the back and just cut holes in the bumper to accommodate for the winch plate... which I welded up and used a trailer hitch pin to lock into position.
img_0298.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The next project tackled was the roof rack... instead of spending hundreds on a roof rack, I took apart my old trampoline and used that. Utilizing the factory mounting bolts, I cut L Brackets to connect everything together. The lights were got off amazon; http://www.amazon.com/Annt-Square-li...D+flood+lights and welded to the rack as well.
image.jpg   img_1100.jpg   img_1160.jpg   img_1165.jpg   img_1171.jpg  

img_1185.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those got wired up and ran through the A-Pillars on both sides of the Jeep, then each direction was given a switch so I could only blind the cars I choose to.
img_1239.jpg   img_1244.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

With all the additional lights I would be adding, I bought a battery isolator to separate everything. Thanks to a broken PowerWheels car, I salvaged that battery and ran all the wiring up. Even though the LEDs don't draw much power I was planning for the future.
img_1269.jpg   img_1270.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

While I didn't take any pictures, I hooked up a CB radio and mounted the antenna onto the rack... that has since been turned parallel to the roof for obvious height restrictions. Next up was a Safari Snorkel, and drilling into the body. Now that it was trail ready... it needed some trail tires. General Grabber 33" ATs were gonna do fine.
img_2079.jpg   img_2915.jpg   img_3236.jpg   img_2906.jpg  
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

As you can see, I put a brush guard onto the bumper and some KC Spot lights as well... to beefen up the front a little. This was just a couple of grade 8 bolts and drilling into the bumper again. This was all I did before registering and beginning to actually drive Roxanne.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse12296 View Post
Nice Xj..You should get some pictures of it from further away
Yeah, getting a lot of normal size pics this weekend hopefully
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now that I DD the Jeep, I get tons of ideas from seeing other XJs on the road, for example I mounted the Hi-Lift onto the hood. All I did was use two bolts, a couple washers, and wing nuts to be able to take it off when needed. To lock it, I bent an I-bolt and dropped a trailer hitch lock into one of the holes on the Hi-Lift, Im sure there were much more expensive and longer ways of doing this as well but to each their own.
img_3115.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Couple shots a lot more recent, and everything here on out I can writeup more detailed.
img_3742.jpg   img_3680.jpg   img_3873.jpg   img_3816.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

After getting that flex shot, I realized I needed to trim the fenders, which I did with simple cutting shears. I cut straight 1 or 1.5" strips and bent them back up with a hammer, still need to paint over them to prevent any rust. I followed the stock contour line to keep the look the same, but gained a good 2" or so around the wheel well in the rear. This took about an hour or so of time and was not too difficult.
img_3879.jpg  
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #14
91AzXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good!
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #15
Cjvillar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Picked up some new speakers and had the privilege of wiring those up into the passenger doors.... Basically look behind the drivers side corner panel right by the hatch and rerun the wires to both doors. I Ran the passenger side through the head panel just to shorten things up. You'll have to remove the OS handles and all the trim up to there to be able to run the wires. Then drill holes into the rubber matting after you remove the door panels. Two screws in arm rest, then the screw on the plate with the window switches. Cut a piece of wood slightly larger than my door kickers and mounted them up. After wiring it all up and making sure the connections were good I wrapped it up for the day.
img_3801.jpg   img_3802.jpg   img_3803.jpg   img_3804.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.