My 95 YJ build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 95 YJ build

Custom Tire covers for your Jeep at Jeephut.comThe Spring DynoMax rebate is here for 2015!New wheels at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #1
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My 95 YJ build

I mostly lurk on the forums but i thought maybe i should participate a bit more and would start a build thread of my current jeep.

Last spring i went in search of a jeep that was a decent base to build on and wasn't going to break the bank. In Utah here a lot of the older jeeps have a bunch of rust. i looked at quite a few that were in pretty bad shape.

After a month or two of searching i ran across this 1995 YJ in pretty decent shape. a little bit of rust here and their but overall in decent shape and pretty low miles for the year. Turned out owner had just moved the jeep here from Arizona. the bad was its a 4cly auto and not the 4.0 manual i was hoping for.

picture after i got done test driving it.

first order of business was the exhaust manifold was leaking. I figured the manifold was cracked similar to some of the previous jeeps I've owned. As I tore into it i found out it was just a couple of missing bolts.

I also found several vacuum leaks at the same time due to brittle vacuum hoses and fittings. Repaired a bunch of that stuff.

the seats were pretty rough so installed a set of Corbeau Baja ultras suspension sears in, along with the risers.

These seats were super comfy and hugged you in real tight. I really liked how they felt. unfortunately they are pretty big and the side bolsters are pretty tall. Im a pretty big guy and I had a super hard time getting in and of of the jeep. So i bought another set of seats, Corbeau Baja JP's.
comparison photo.

These fit in the jeep better and are still pretty comfy, Way better then the worn out seats that were in the jeep.

ill post more soon, need to locate some more pictures.

img_1579.jpg   img_1592.jpg  
img_5363.jpg

img_6194.jpg

img_6221.jpg

Unread 02-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

then I started working on the lift. I went with the Zone 4" kit, a jks 1.25 body lift and motor mount spacers. The mounts were bad so i replaced them at the same time. I cut some new boom shackles out of some 3/8 plate on the cnc plasma table an inch longer then stock, pretty beefy.
img_6090.jpg

img_6093.jpg

img_3609.jpg

img_3596.jpg

img_3600.jpg

img_6430.jpg

Unread 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

All the steering was pretty worn out so i replaced it all at the same time as the lift. The lift install went pretty good. I'm pretty happy with the zone kit.
Bought some ATX wheels and some 33" goodyear duratracs.
img_6427.jpg

img_3610.jpg

img_3611.jpg

Unread 02-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Then it was time for our first trip to the mountains in the jeep. I picked up the nephew and we headed up to american fork canyon and did the forest lake trail. The jeep performed pretty well. I had left the track bar on and hadn't got sway bar disconnects, but the jeep handled everything pretty well.
img_3617.jpg

img_3618.jpg

img_3620.jpg

img_3657.jpg

img_3661.jpg

Unread 02-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the motor on the jeep would get pretty warm on hot days, I replaced the water pump, t-stat and radiator. It never gets warm anymore but you can still smell antifreeze everyone in a while. I still need to dig into it more.

I also make up some quick disconnect mud flaps, but need to remember to take them off lol.

The radio that was in the jeep wasn't working so i removed it and made a switch panel to go in its place
_mg_3613.jpg

img_6538.jpg

img_6498.jpg

img_6463.jpg

Unread 02-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #6
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

jeep sat for a bit and now am working on getting it ready for a trip to moab for the easter jeep safari.

Started working on a front bumper with a winch mount. I ordered a smittybuilt winch and an odyssey battery. Then cut out a plate bumper on the cmc plasma and had another shop bend it up for me. Also added a stinger and a fairlead mount. Still need to make some D-ring mounts and a brace for the stinger.
img_0273.jpg   img_0275.jpg   img_0308.jpg  
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep has 120k miles on it and it leaks a bunch of out. Also I'm worried about the antifreeze smell i get after i drive it for a bit. This last weekend me and my nephew were going to change the oil pan and valve cover gaskets and also try and figure out what was going on with the cooling system. Well one thing lead to another and this happened.
img_0332.jpg  
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We just decided to pull the motor down and get it refreshed. I have a buddy that owns a engine shop and were going to work out some trade work so it should not cost me much more then parts to get it redone. This way I'm not worried about it puking out on me while I'm in the middle of moab. I would like to swap it out to a bigger motor eventually but this should be done pretty quick as I'm trying to get the jeep ready in about a month.

I also ordered a bunch of parts with some money I got from side projects.
ordered:
D30 Spartan
D30 Yukon 4.56 gears/install kits
D30 Yukon Cromo shafts
Teraflex Extreme SYE
Teraflex 2 wheel low kit
Teraflex 4-1 kit
8.8 Yukon 4.56 gears/install kits
8.8 Grizzly locker

also picked up 2 8.8 rear ends of members of the local 4x4 forum
img_0297.jpg  
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

so thats where I am at right now. motor is off to the machine shop, one of the 8.8's is at the powder coaters getting sand blasted and should be back next week.

lots of work to do in the next few weeks! still want to figure out a rear bumper, some rock sliders, and a roll cage as well.
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #10
98TJcomeonuh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice looking yj! If you were thinking of upgrading the 8.8 rustys still sale the superior super 88 kit it's in the clearance section. Just thought I would throw that out there. Keep up the great work.
98TJcomeonuh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #11
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TJcomeonuh View Post
Nice looking yj! If you were thinking of upgrading the 8.8 rustys still sale the superior super 88 kit it's in the clearance section. Just thought I would throw that out there. Keep up the great work.
I hadn't looked into those. I didn't realize they added width as well. Might not be able to swing it now but might be a great upgrade to do right now while I got it all torn apart.
Unread 02-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #12
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

its like Christmas time around the shop right now! A bunch of parts have been showing up for this project.

4.56 gears, grizzly locker for the 8.8, spartan for the D30, Cromo shafts for the D30, Tera extreme short shaft, Tera 2wheel low kit, Tera 4-1 kit, odyssey battery, smittybuilt 9500 winch, misc 8.8 parts.

I got a lot of stuff to get done!

Unfortunately the guys i bought the 4-1 kit through ordered the wrong one so its got to go back and hopefully get the right one back quick. I ended up with the 4cyl manual version instead of the 4cyl auto kit.
img_0363.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2015, 03:00 AM   #13
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

last week i dropped off one of the 8.8 housings i picked up at the powder coaters and had them sand blast it. i got it back thursday and today had some time to start cleaning it up. Their is sand everywhere. Evidently it did not get plugged up good enough, or at all. took the air hose to it, used up a couple cans of break cleaner and finally took the water hose to it, and its still got some sand in it after all that.

i did fire up the welder and burn the tubes on.
img_0338.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2015, 03:06 AM   #14
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I started to tear into the transfer case to see if I needed any more parts and check the condition of the chain and what not. The inside of case was pretty clean, outside however was a mess. I spent a while just cleaning it to get it half way clean. Ill work on it more tomorrow.
img_0364.jpg  
Unread 02-22-2015, 07:23 PM   #15
jeeperjer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

spent a couple hours today at the shop. soaked the inside of 8.8 housing in simple green and then took the hose to it. i then made a "bore snake" and ran some "patches" through the tubes and blew it out with air when done. I think its pretty clean now. hopefully I got all of the grit out of it from being sand blasted.
img_0369.jpg   img_0372.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.