My 94 Heep Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 94 Heep Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My Heep Turned Into A Jeep

Well since i was 13-ish it had been my dream to have a truck and take it to MOAB and 5 years later at the age of 18 i had a chance to trade my 1994 17ft Edge Water center console for a 94 wrangler i couldn't say yes fast enough.

the PO bought it and didnt add anything to it so as far as mods went he was clueless, but here's what i could find

- 4.0L
- AX15
- Manual Steering
- A/C and Heat
- Skyjacker Suspension Lift (i think 1.5in front like like 3in in the rear?)
- 33in Nankang Mudstars (like brand new!)
- 15x12 Eagle Alloys 5 Star Rims
- Tube F/R bumpers (i hate them.)

Here's a pic of back then:

its not much but i love it. i was overwhelmed by maintaince as things went wrong over the past year so i could not do many mods but in the past year i have put 16k miles on it. here's a list of everything that was rebuilt/replaced

- Transmission Rebuild
- F/R axles Rebuilt
- Rear Drive Shaft
- All Brake Lines
- Magnaflow Muffler and Rear Tailpipe
- Steering Box
- All Drive Shaft U Joints (Spicer after bad experience with Duralast)
- Spicer Rear Output Yoke
- SPEC Stg1 Racing Clutch

Im sure there is more but i cant remember.

a few months after having it i was looking for a new soft top because the black one was getting old and stretched, found a tan best top with 3k miles on it for $150 but actually got it for $145 because the guy i bought it from didnt have change for a $20

I liked the tan top much more, i think it goes better with the paint.

once it started warming up i went on my first wheeling trip with a group i found on FaceBook which i now consider my 2nd family.

Three Wheels!

Who needs a jack when you have an Andrew?

I had a BLAST that day! We hit up Dodd Rd, Persimmons Rd, and Bell Mountain! When i first met up with them that morning i was nervous after seeing everyone there was running 6in lifts and 35's because i thought i was going to be the hold up all day. To my surprise i made it through everything they did, i just had to do it in 2nd 4wl with more skinny pedal.

Towards the middle of summer i picked up a my current job at a used boat lot detailing boats. i like the job and having everything i need to do a full detail on my jeep at my disposal is a huge bonus.

Look at my rims compared to the first pic i posted! i used the stuff we use on pontoon boats to redo the toons, all i did was spray it on then rinse haha they look new!

Towards the end of summer one of my friends from our group posted that he wanted to trade his hard top that was missing a back lift gate for a soft top with frame. i offered him my tan top but he only wanted black tops so i traded him my black top i had in my barn that i was never going to use and my frame. my plan was to make a back gate and window out of plexiglass until i could afford the full assembly but i checked Ebay and saw a assembly just posted for $220 shipped. i knew it wouldnt be there long so i jumped on it! it came grey but i painted it black to match

the top is beat but i will pick up another frame before this summer and use my soft top during summer while i fix up the hard top for winter. luckily growing up fixing my own boats has made me pretty decent with fiberglass. oh yea, i also had to pick up TJ uppers to cut and weld to fit the top. i have a decent welder but i suck at welding!

fast forward to present day this past week we had snow. im not sure about you northerners but snow in GA is rare. this ment 3 straight days of trail riding!

sadly i had to stop after 3 days because at the end of day 3 i busted my steering box and had to get her towed home, it was a sad day. my first trail breakage.

luckily since i replaced it this past June SBC will warranty it for me, a new one will be at the shop tomorrow (Monday) and she will be back on the road. right now she is and it kills me looking in my driveway and seeing my baby covered in mud and salt. but tomorrow i will be able to take her to get washed once i put the new steering box in. until then here she sits.

Last edited by ItsTealNotBlue; 02-03-2014 at 08:18 PM..
ItsTealNotBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well stopped by SBC and pick up my new steering box. it got dark before i could get it on and i couldnt move it into my garage because of the whole no steering thing. so its going to have to wait until tomorrow //:'(//

but here's a pic anyways just because new parts look pretty
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well because of weather and time it took me awhile before i had time to mount it, and i had to wait for the weather to clear because of the whole cant steer it into the garage thing.

but a friend texted me at work last wensday and asked if i wanted to go hit some trails later that evening. luckily that day i got off work so we went back to my house and threw the steering box in (took us like 20mins) and off to the trails we went!

Mhhmmmm, new stuff

Had fun on the trails!

Got photo-bombed by this redneck aka Justin!

well i was in a hurry to leave the trails because something came up and well.... i was going too fast and wasnt paying attention to my lines and ended up in a mud pit...

after $18 in quarters at the local do it yourself car wash

still lots more cleaning to be done, i've pulled the back seats and the console. luckily for me i work detailing boats and have everything i need at my disposal to do a full detail. even better tomorrow we dont start until 11 so i'll go in early around 9 and clean out all the mud from the inside. this thing is far past due for a full cleaning. i may even buff and wax it
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ran into another set back today. this one really upsets me because it made my jeep unmovable just before the biggest snow that GA has seen in years. and i couldnt play in it.

well i was at a stop sign making a left hand turn when all of a sudden in the middle of the road i lost all power. i figured i had lost a u joint so i put it in 4wh to get out of the way. as i was doing that something felt off and then i saw a very familiar wheel go flying past me with a shaft sticking out of it.... yep dana 35 living up to its reputation... after getting it towed home by a local jeeper from my group im in need of a left side shaft, brake shoes, and possibly the whole brake assembly.

i got on Craigslist and found a complete D35 with 120k miles for $80 so im waiting until i can get my explorer out of the driveway to go pick it up.

but on a lighter note here is a picture of Justin and Brett on my jeep thinking that my jeep matches the bud light box. it does not. my jeep is teal. not blue.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #5
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished up an 8.8 swap. Very easy and straight forward. My d35 lost a ring gear bolt and chewed on the pinion for a while.
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
theCREECH
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Love the YJ. Very nice color. Good luck with the build I like the way it's going so far.
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianandcara View Post
Just finished up an 8.8 swap. Very easy and straight forward. My d35 lost a ring gear bolt and chewed on the pinion for a while.
haha yea, my ring and pinion are on their way out but with a new shaft it will get last me until i can get an 8.8 no problem. my only concern is welding everything and welding them in the correct places. im only 19 and dont have much experience with a welder but i have a 140 wire fed MIG welder that ive been messing around with. my dad is getting tired of me welding everything in his garage together but i gotta figure it out some how

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCREECH View Post
Love the YJ. Very nice color. Good luck with the build I like the way it's going so far.
thanks, i love the color too i only know of 2 others in all of GA. i havent really been able to do much to it haha, im just trying to catch up on the PO's lack of maintenance
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
brianandcara
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This site has a bunch of info on the swap and how to set angles and all just do some searches or shoot me a pm with your number and I'll call and answer any questions I can. Go to your local welding supply shop and they could probably give you a bunch of unusable scrap to practice on, they might give you tips to if you take them a sample of your work.
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well the story continues. i was browsing Craigslist trying to find a D35 i could buy and pull the drivers side shaft and brake assembly from. i found one for $80 so i went and picked it up... well... turns out that there were 2 versions of Dana 35's the earlier ones had 10 inch brake hubs and did not use c clips to hold the shaft in. and the axle i got was the wrong version so the next day i bought another off Craigslist now knowing which i needed and how to spot the difference. between the two axles there really are not ANY interchangeable parts.

here is the first one i bought, all loaded up in my trusty exploder

and after that one didnt work i got another that did work, here is from when i had it apart doing the swap

got it all put back together today and now im just waiting on the sealant to dry so i can fill the axle with oil and i should be on my way. i dont have any pictures of it all put back together because when i finished my only concern was taking a shower. i was covered in gear oil, kerosene, PB blaster, mud, brake dust, and brake fluid. it was awful.
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

not really much of an update but i got my jeep running last night and drove it all over today everything seems tight

Here's a pic of what i spent hours pulling out with a magnet haha

there were a whole lot more smaller chunks and tons os shavings. luckily all were in the tube and didnt make it into the diff

after work i decided to buff and wax it. the paint was getting "etchy" feeling if you know what i mean and needed attention. turned out well!

sadly i did it at a friends house and didnt have my doors on.... so doors did not get buffed and waxed but thats next!

oh yea, while i had it apart i paint my diff cover, just because haha
Unread 02-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #11
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well awhile ago i bought a new front bumper and today it showed up. i didnt tell my parents i had ordered it and it came wrapped up in a bunch of stuff instead of in a box. this was the texts between me and my mom

here it is

getting the old one off was a *****. a PO had welded the tube bumper and a bunch of other junk to the frame that i had to get off. took 4 hours of grinding, saws-all-ing, hammering and prying. then i find out that the mounting holes were a good 1/2 inch off so i messaged the seller making it seem worse then it was and asked for a 30% refund. even if i dont get it i will keep the bumper. it was too darl to get a pic, but it actually looks really good on my jeep. soooo much better then the barbie jeep bumper that was on it!
Unread 09-11-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
ItsTealNotBlue
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well its been a long time since i updated the thread but here it goes

this little puddle of oil and metal is what was left the bolts that hold the ring gear on the cluster in my rear axle. at this point it wasn't worth rebuilding and since it was the 2nd time in just a few months i had broken a dana 35 i figured it was time for an upgrade.

after a day of hunting at the local pull-a-part i found an 8.8 with 179k miles, 3.73 gearing and LSD. i know the lsd is not as strong but i plan on getting a locker here soon so until then its more fun on the streets with LSD. i can not weld so after i got the axle i turned it over to a very well known local off road shop called SBC for the install. halfway in they told me i needed either a tc drop kit or a SYE. if it wasn't at there shop i would have installed a SYE myself but since it was there and i couldn't afford an SYE and labor for then to install it i had them put in a 1 inch tc drop.

SBC did a very nice job putting the axle in. and the jeep was soo much better for it too. before it would vibrate and make bad noises under acceleration but now it drives very smooth. i could not believe the difference. it made the jeep much more drivable.

one day when i was at work my dad came in and showed me a picture of a rear bumper and said the guy wanted $80 for it. i said hell yes and told him to go get it for me. here's my $80 rugged ridge rear bumper and tire carrier

i also fell into a stereo kraze. i didnt realize how cheap it was to put a decent sound system in a car so i replaced my dash speakers with pioneers, added a Roswell amp and a 12in kicker Comp 12CVR sub. the dash speakers were a pain. not hard just a pain to replace!

i picked up a set of full doors for about $150 in a trade. they needed a little work but i got everything on them working that night. all i needed to buy were window cranks. the interior panel was gone so im going to make my own out of sheet metal then sticker bomb them with a bunch of off road brand stickers because im cool like that.

i also got the last piece to my soft top frame so im running it and half doors for summer and hard top and full doors for winter but for now im fixing the cracks in my hard top and repainting the doors trying to get them done for winter. but thats pretty much everything from this summer besides small maintenance things. i did have to replace the starter, alternator, and water pump and now all have a lifetime warranty here's some other pics:

next i will be posting the repairs make to the hard top and to the frame. the passenger side rear shackle has extensive rust that is just plain scary. the section is on order and i have a buddy that is a welder by trade thats going to help me weld it in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.