My dad helped me a little this last weekend and I got some more work done this evening.
We got the rear bumper mounted and tested the springs out. I found out my measurements weren't exactly what I wanted since the rubicon express shackles were put in a bind and weren't flexing back as I jacked the spring up. I decided to make some 1 inch longer shackles out of 1/4" plate. These took awhile, but finally got them mounted and springs in the are. These made everything flex in a more predictable manner. I'm worried I may see a little extra lift in the rear with my new set up but time will tell.
Once springs were mounted set my pinion angle where I wanted it with 2 degree offset, and tacked the spring perches. Pulled the axle out and fully welded them up. This go around was much better that my first time with the welder.
Next step is to bolt the axle in and install the other odds and ends such as brakes, shocks, etc.
Just something different, I looked to see if my old rear drive shaft would reach and its short by and inch when you start to see the splines. Tom woods order will be soon.
Got some work done this evening. I got the rear axle back under the jeep and bolted in. Tomorrow I'm gonna get the brakes back up and running. Probably will try taking my wheels/tires to have the new 35's mounted as well. Pictures to come tomorrow.
Got the brakes on and everything bolted down good. Need to still bleed the brakes.
Also took my tires and had them mounted. Put the front back on. Waiting for the back after I get the fenders and corner guards mounted.
Started fitting up the corner guard on the driver side. Cut the hole for the gas cap, but cutting hole for lights is rough. Will take pictures when finished. Went ahead and cut the jeep quarter panel out for the new wheel well opening.
Got the corner guards ready and painted. Once they were dry I mounted them up. There is one bolt on either side I'm gonna need help to do, or else take the hardtop off to get to them. They bolted up nicely.
I started fooling with the rear back lights and tail lights. The previous owner had a mess created when they hooked a 4-prong trailer kit.
Put the wheels back on. And finally it stands on all four legs!
I looked at how the rear fenders would mount and but it would be better to have the rocker guard in place for the lowest front bolt.
I'm at an impasse with the rockers, as it stands now, I would have to trim the front portion of the rockers by a few inches to work with the smittybilt front fenders. I planned on replacing the smitty's with genrights to match the rear, but wasn't planning on doing then just yet. The rocker guards should work with the genright fenders because the tube doesn't come down as far compared to the smitty's.
I'd rather have the rockers go as far forward as possible for protection, so I'm stuck for a second until I figure out what I want to do.
Next will work on the rear tire carrier as I debate the rocker situation.