Ok, so I finally got some time to do some work today on the jeep. Removed the valve cover and found the gasket to be cracked in a few places. Also upon removing I found that over half the bolts were able to loosen and remove with my fingers. So I'm pretty positive this was part of the problem. Got a new gasket from the Zone and torqued everything back down with some blue thread locker.
Removed the oil pan and the rear main seal. Replaced my rear main seal but still waiting on my new oil pan to arrive to seal everything up nice.
I hope tomorrow to clean up where the oil has sprayed everywhere beyond the transmission. Also may start removing the front wheels, brakes, hubs, etc to replace the ball joints. Also need to redo my front bump stops while I have everything on the front removed.
Still waiting on the genright pieces and the tires. Supposedly they are in production.
So today I replaced the ball joints. I hope this was my primary issue with the death wobble. Once replaced I checked, shook, and moved everything to see if I could tell if anything else was loose. Nothing yet. I think one thing has made things a little more abrupt while steering is the Heims, bigger tubing for the tie rod and drag link, and also the steering box brace. I have a feeling that now that everything is more solid that the steering has very minimal flex which previously helped to absorb some road conditions.
I also re-organized my tools, fluids, and spare parts. I used some spare ammo cans I had laying around and screwed them to the floor so nothing will fly around. I previously had two bags I carried with me with all my recovery gear. I've managed to put it all in steel containers that are fastened down now.
I took pics with my phone but they are just over the size limit. I'll try and reduce later and upload.
Still waiting in oil pan, genright stuff, and 35's.
Got my new oil pan in, and it looked nice and not dented. Installed the new gasket and oil pan this evening. Hooked my downpipe back up and filled it with oil. Cranked her up and everything looked pretty good. I did notice while installing my downpipe back that both front and rear gaskets were falling to pieces. I'm gonna replace those before throwing the skid back on. I may drop transmission skid and clean everything up where oil got everywhere. Will also check my transmission mount to see how it's holding up. Haven't ever replaced it.
On another note, this weekend I will probably start prepping the rear. Meaning start removing the rear bumper, rear flares, and rocker guards.
So I unbolted the down pipe once more to replace the front and rear gaskets.
Also dropped the belly pan to clean it up.
While I was under there I decided I would replace my transmission mount with a polyethylene one. Found out it was over a quarter inch taller than stock. And it moved my whole motor and tranny up further. Decided I would put the old one back on for the time being. It was not cracked and the rubber appeared to be in good shape. I'll return the one I got and look for one of appropriate height.
Then I I bolted everything back up and bolted the motor skid back up. So for now will start tearing into the rear.