My 92 YJ Build - Page 18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 92 YJ Build

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #256
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider787 View Post
Anyone messed with a transfer case mounted parking brake?

So i know i'm getting ahead of myself, but i've noticed that while parked in the driveway yesterday, my jeep wanted to roll while in gear. i of course put a chock behind one of the wheels. I removed my parking brakes from the 8.8 after i destroyed the driver side due to a stud that had un-screwed itself a while back

I was looking at the parts mike version that is made for the np231 with advanced adapters slip yoke. this would work well with my plan later on to either upgrade to the atlas 2speed or the teralow kit. i think this may get bumped to the top of the list for the next upgrade since i hate having to chock the wheels everytime i park on a hill.
Im interested in this as well. I've been researching it a little. It seems every kit out there is so expensive. I've though about trying to make one

April 2012 YJ of the month

May 2013 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #257
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah the ones on parts mike is 350 which is high. I know tom woods sells their own version and parts mike as well but dont list the prices. keep me posted on what you find. Making one would be sweet, but mounting to the yoke would be the tricky part. I wonder what the biggest fourwheeler disk you can get is that is cable actuated. I'm going to keep researching as well, maybe someone has a good makeshift one.
trailrider787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #258
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anyone messed with a transfer case mounted parking brake?

So i know i'm getting ahead of myself, but i've noticed that while parked in the driveway yesterday, my jeep wanted to roll while in gear. i of course put a chock behind one of the wheels. I removed my parking brakes from the 8.8 after i destroyed the driver side due to a stud that had un-screwed itself a while back

I was looking at the parts mike version that is made for the np231 with advanced adapters slip yoke. this would work well with my plan later on to either upgrade to the atlas 2speed or the teralow kit. i think this may get bumped to the top of the list for the next upgrade since i hate having to chock the wheels everytime i park on a hill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Im interested in this as well. I've been researching it a little. It seems every kit out there is so expensive. I've though about trying to make one
Quote:
Yeah the ones on parts mike is 350 which is high. I know tom woods sells their own version and parts mike as well but dont list the prices. keep me posted on what you find. Making one would be sweet, but mounting to the yoke would be the tricky part. I wonder what the biggest fourwheeler disk you can get is that is cable actuated. I'm going to keep researching as well, maybe someone has a good makeshift one.
Ask NHfireYJ about his. He recently installed one. See post # 67:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...35/index5.html

By the way, my jeep is rolling more often. I have it in gear and the 8.8 parking brake on (which sucks). I will tighten the parking brake but I do need something better.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #259
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Update. Got everything re-wired including spot lights, ARB compressor, and the rear locker. Also wires up the front locker as well. Took it for a test run and everything worked well. Have some slight vibrations going on, but don't know what it is yet. Going to get the wheels re balanced cause they need it.

Also found a place to flex it out and measure for modifying the frame where the drag link will hit on the passenger side and also measured for moving the bump stops forward. Went ahead and cut the frame out. Going to use some quarter inch plate or 3/16" plate to gusset everything.
image-2205773748.jpg  
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #260
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. You just dove right in on that. I'm curious to see how the plating goes.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #261
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4
Wow. You just dove right in on that. I'm curious to see how the plating goes.
Yeah, I knew I was going to have to do it when I did the steering. I wish I had my old front springs on cause I would have been able to get better measurements. But this will have to do. I plan to plate the inside and outside of the frame, and then weld in some plate on the underside to fill it all in. I believe it will be stout enough. The new front springs are stiff as crap, I can't wait for them to sag a little bit, it will cushion up the ride.
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #262
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I knew I was going to have to do it when I did the steering. I wish I had my old front springs on cause I would have been able to get better measurements. But this will have to do. I plan to plate the inside and outside of the frame, and then weld in some plate on the underside to fill it all in. I believe it will be stout enough. The new front springs are stiff as crap, I can't wait for them to sag a little bit, it will cushion up the ride.
Mos def. Any chance you can plate the top of the frame too? I know it would be more work with removing the fender but it may be a good idea.

Just a thought though.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #263
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think I may be able to get to it without removing the fender. It's a good idea and I didn't think about doing it, but I will probably do it now. Good idea!!
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #264
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I may be able to get to it without removing the fender. It's a good idea and I didn't think about doing it, but I will probably do it now. Good idea!!
It's obvious that I calculated the bending moment on the frame based on the yield strength of the steel, cross-section, and applied forces...duh.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #265
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wow you are lame, but dr Thompson would be proud!
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #266
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow you are lame, but dr Thompson would be proud!
Ole' Sid Vicious would be.

By the way, we'll be at Brewfest this weekend while y'all are lounging on the beach in Destin.

Hey, when are we going to Tybee?

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #267
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4

Ole' Sid Vicious would be.

By the way, we'll be at Brewfest this weekend while y'all are lounging on the beach in Destin.

Hey, when are we going to Tybee?
Sweet! Whenever you want to go. Although, I really could care less about dealing with my sister.
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #268
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet! Whenever you want to go. Although, I really could care less about dealing with my sister.
Oh yeah, I forgot her and Dave were down there.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #269
trailrider787
1992 YJ Wrangler 

So I started on boxing in the frame where I cut out a section to clear the drag link. I had some left over 1/4" plate so I'm using that up first. My plan is to make two half sections and then weld them each to the frame that will end up boxing it in. For some reason the pictures won't load so I'll keep trying. Got both half sections made but need to finalize everything up and weld it to the frame.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #270
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I started on boxing in the frame where I cut out a section to clear the drag link. I had some left over 1/4" plate so I'm using that up first. My plan is to make two half sections and then weld them each to the frame that will end up boxing it in. For some reason the pictures won't load so I'll keep trying. Got both half sections made but need to finalize everything up and weld it to the frame.
Keep trying to load them. I want to see how it turned out.

Edit: Nevermind. You'll need to wait till Thursday.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/an...e-weekend.html

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.