And then afterwards, I went for slightly taller springs to raise the front up level. The first picture is just after installing the springs. The Jeep was then parked for a few months and only got driven occasionally. I did some maintenance to it when I started driving it again like a new clutch master and o2 sensor no pictures of that stuff, they would be boring pictures anyway. Next up was the trans, after only having been driving it again regularly the trans got stuck in 4th gear. As I was driving in traffic at the time I forced it very hard and it came out of gear but refused to go back into any gear. Got the Jeep home and started to work on that. Got a replacement transmission that was supposed to work and threw it in there, well it didn't. You could move the shifter back and forth like it was in neutral but it was in 3rd gear and we couldn't get it out. As we had used the original back half of my trans we thought maybe we had done something wrong doing that. Of course by this time we had already put the transmission back in the Jeep under the assumption it worked, it seemed like it would. So we pulled the back half off while it was still hanging in the Jeep. There was nothing we could do with it, we had done everything correctly. Luckily at this time another member offered me up a rebuilt ax15 he had been hoarding for years. To make it even better, he lived so close to my mom's place where the Jeep was parked I could have walked there in a couple minutes. This transmission having been from a Cherokee we had to reuse the back half of my original transmission once again, luckily it was already out on the ground as we had taken it off the 2nd trans to see what was going on in there. So 2 of us worked on taking that out while the other assembled the new one. It was around this time when the Jeep began to anger me, but through a combination of stubbornness and a desire to see the Jeep fixed we pressed on. We struggled to get the transmission into the Jeep, we could get it very close but not all the way. It just would not go the last inch or so in, and we had assumed we were doing something wrong. Sleep deprivation undoubtedly was kicking in by this time. 4am came around and I then decided it might be a good idea to see if there was some other reason it wouldn't work. As it turns out, later model transmissions have a larger output on them,so in order to make use of the transmission we would need a new pilot bearing. That was the end of that night. That piece of info was learned thanks to this forum. The next day much time was spent driving around looking for one and borrowing special tools. If anybody is doing a similar swap in future, you can't just order the pilot bearing for a newer Yj as that won't work. Some forum research here showed that a special pilot bearing is required, so what you need to order is one for a 72 CJ with a 304 and a T15. So then due to work and other obligations, not much more was done until later on that night. Once we started though we just didn't want to stop, so it was another night of working until 4 am. Oh and as you will see in the pictures, this was all done without any kind of hoist or transmission jack. Lifting the trans in and out, many many times, was done via a rope wrapped around it.
-My business, being self-employed rocks.
91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc