My 91 YJ Renegade snow camo/urban camo not sure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 91 YJ Renegade snow camo/urban camo not sure

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So this project has taken an unexpected turn for the worse, due to this-

So at this point, it leaves me with the question of what to do with it. I really like this jeep and don't want to give up on it, so I'd like to repair it if possible. The other option is to get another YJ and put all my good parts onto it, but I really don't wanna do that again. So repairing this one I think is my best option. I'm considering going with the Cj hood and grill when I do, but I'm undecided as I can probably get YJ parts easier and cheaper. The tough part will be finding a replacement Renegade fender.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ouch!!!

Glad that you are ok after that hit. Care to tell what happened there?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #18
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was going down the freeway, center lane lots of traffic, the guy ahead of me slams on his brakes and I just couldn't stop fast enough. It was still slippery as it had just stopped raining, and he had ABS, I don't, not that a lifted Jeep stops all that well anyway.

Unread 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have decided to repair this Jeep now. Here are the pictures of it so far. This is right after I got it back, I started taking it apart a little bit before I took the pictures but not much.

And this one was a joke for a friend of mine, I told her about getting the Jeep back, and she asked me if I was going to hug it, so that was what I did.

The frame seems ok for the most part, there is some damage here where the body mount pulled out of the frame, as well as where the front bumper was bolted has folded back.

I got the flare off, and the fender was quite rusty underneath which undoubtedly contributed to the way it folded up.

The grill support pulled through, so that will need some work

Got the fender and grill off

And the power steering pulley and lines were damaged as seen here

Unread 10-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't even know if anybody is looking at this, but I have collected almost all the parts necessary to fix this Jeep. Started with the fender, picked up a mint condition fender at a local Jeep wrecking yard.

Had a guy from our local Jeep club, bcjeepclub.ca come out and help weld up the torn piece of the frame and then weld the spacer that was there back on top.

I got the fender on there

And here it is with the hood down, just to show how far back this thing folded up

Then I picked up a hood and grill from another member of the local club for a good price. He also gave me the power steering reservoir and one of the lines, I still need the return line and the pulley.

And finally I got a front bumper for free from another club member

My plan at this point, if I can get the remaining parts I need in time, is to finish it up on Monday.

Unread 10-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
MA88XJDude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Im glad to see you decided to fix the Jeep enstead of condeming it. When I first saw the crash pic I thought it was a goner.
Build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/s...build-1066682/
MASSKRAWLERS.COM
MA88XJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #22
Mistic
1987 YJ Wrangler 

How is your repair coming along? I see you picked up a bunch of parts.

Got a quick question for you...did you ever find another Renegade flare? If so where at? I'm actually trying to hunt down a couple of the exterior push in torx head clips that hold the flares on the Jeep from my Renegade and I'm not having any luck. I was hoping maybe you came a cross them somewhere. Thanks!
Unread 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM   #23
silvos721
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wow I am surpised at the amount of damage to the Jeep. I am glad you are repairing it though, it does deserve at least that. Stick it! What is the progress looking like?
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
3shifty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Updates!!!
3shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #25
szbaren3411
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you have joined a good Jeep club. With members who are so willing to help.
szbaren3411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #26
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Are you going to repaint the hole jeep or just the front to match
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #27
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Oops I guess I forgot to update this thread. Yes, the Jeep is all repaired now and back on the road. I thought I had updated this one, it is on my local forum anyway.

So here is the Jeep the night I got it all back together

And the "garage" I did all the repairs in, this truly is backyard mechanics

A couple shots of it after I pulled it out of the backyard the next day

I still wasn't able to drive it at this point, after the accident the police stuck me with an inspection order meaning it wasn't allowed to be insured or driven on the street whatsoever until it passed a safety inspection. So I had to have it towed again, this time to the same shop that passed it's inspection when I bought it. It was from a different province when I got it so to import it an inspection is required.

It failed initially, I had to put the rear track bar back in, oddly they did not notice that there was supposed to be one on the front and it wasn't there and the sway bar too. Then I had to weld a small rust hole in the rear of the frame by the shackle, didn't catch a picture of that as we were too busy doing that in their parking lot trying to get it done before the shop closed. Once again my local Jeep club came to the rescue here as I don't know how to weld, so one of our other members drove the 2 hours or so from his place to where my Jeep was parked in order to help out, I owe him for that one. We did get it done and they passed it, and I left it outside their shop to come back for it in the morning. This wasn't the end of the road for this Jeep though sadly. While I was driving around looking for a gas station as I didn't know the area and my gas gauge doesn't work, I pulled up to a traffic light and the jeep made a strange noise and it felt as though I had ran over something. I backed up to look and see what I hit and nothing was there so I pulled through the intersection, when I heard a Ping! Ping! noise and I looked out the window to see a lugnut going flying away. this wasn't just a case of loose wheelnuts though as I know what that feels like. Several of the studs broke off causing much carnage to the rotor and we suspected the hub also. I called for help as I had no jack to lift the Jeep up with and had somebody come out to assist. Lucky there was a parts store not too far away, so I borrowed his vehicle and went to get new studs and lugnuts while my helper started lifting it up and taking it apart. We got it together with new studs but I didn't have enough cash on me to replace the rotor so I drove it home as is. Here is the rotor after I got it apart at home. As you might guess it didn't drive well, the wheel wobbled quite visibly and shook the Jeep.

I had it towed to a friends place as he has a parts XJ and we weren't sure what else we would need to replace other than the rotor. Luckily that was all we had to do. Here it is all done and ready to go home. I also got a tonneau cover as it was October now and I only had a bikini top and this was going to be my daily driver. It helped out a lot, it's somewhat visible in this photo.

I got a chrome tow hook for it as some of my buddies give me a hard time about the shiny bits on my Jeep, like the grill, tailgate hinges hood latches etc. This is so I can say that this chrome will get me home, or you.

I then acquired a soft top from another local jeep club member. Even with the tonneau cover and the windjammer I was using on loan from the same club member who came to my house to do some welding on the Jeep it was getting a little cold. Here is that, it's something of a novelty to me now to drive it in the rain and stay dry.

I had also acquired some carpet off of Craigslist a few weeks prior but I was waiting to put that in until I had a proper top. It was from a CJ so some trimming was required but it got the job done.

I also got some saddle bags from the same guy I got the carpet from, these are great as now there isn't as much junk floating around inside the Jeep. These hold my tow strap, tow shackle, jumper cables, first aid kit, some tools, and a portable air compressor.

I took it wheeling a couple of times in there also, on one of those trips this happened. I have never seen a rock do this and neither had anybody who saw these pictures. We don't know how it got in there but it was a pain to get out.

Here is a video from that same trip

Unread 12-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #28
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you try lifting the Jeep up?

Anyways nice work. I like what you have done with it.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
ajf1994
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Jeep! I love the paint!
[URL="http://stu-offroad.com/support.htm"][COLOR="Blue"]I Supported Stu![/COLOR][/URL][/B]
High School Jeepers #361
Parrothead Jeep Club #46
37,xxx Miles[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=XJ-Tim;12621151][SIZE="1"]my welds look like popcorn with sprinkles.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Benjamin Franklin][SIZE="1"]Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
ajf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
Did you try lifting the Jeep up?

Anyways nice work. I like what you have done with it.

Being a Renegade, there really isn't anywhere good to lift it from the back, what with all the plastic. We rolled it back and forth some and pried at it with some logs, this took about 20-30 minutes of messing around to remove it.

Here are some more pictures of me wheeling it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.