My '88 YJ Sahara build! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 YJ Sahara build!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My '88 YJ Sahara build!

OK, I'm gonna start a build thread now since I'm starting to make some progress on the ol' girl.
What I have:
1988 YJ Sahara with 4.2L, auto tranny, np231 TC, pretty stock.
What I've done so far:
Herc the interior, Cobra CB radio, Eclipse/Polk/Kicker stereo system with QuadPods, Weber 32/36 Nuttered
As it sits now, I plan to do the following:
3.5" D!ck Cepek suspension lift (on order as of today!)
Rough Country Big Bore steering stabilizer (on order!)
New spring/shackle bolt kit (on order!)
D!ck Cepek wheels with some 32" or 33" tires
New bumpers with a tire carrier on the rear
Winch (not sure what kind)
Paint
Soft top

I'll post some pics in a bit. Any suggestions or comments are welcome! I'm going to be doing the lift myself, and I'm pretty nervous! At first I didn't want to go higher than the 2.5" RC kit, but I got the 3.5" Cepek kit for the same price as the RC setup.

88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Nates93yj
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt know **** cepek made lift kits, interesting. Looking forward to pics
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nates93yj View Post
I didnt know **** cepek made lift kits, interesting. Looking forward to pics
Yeah, I guess they're not too common. They might not even make 'em any more (maybe the one I got is new old stock or something?). Anyway, I've been searching eBay for lifts for a while, and every now and then a Cepek kit will pop up.
Here's a writeup/review I found:
4X4REVIEW.COM: Dick Cepek's 3 1/2" YJ Lift Kit
Unread 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Lift

Get a can of Kroil and spray....spray....spray all the bolts with it before you start to do the lift. My 88 YJ took all weekend and we ended up cutting off three of the four original springs on it. Used a cutting disc on my grinder. I used PB Blaster to loosen the bolts....wish I would have used Kroil, it's the best! You can look it up online....and it ain't cheap, about $10 a can. Usually about three days and two shots of Kroil will be enough for most bolts...of course you'll want to scrub off any excess oil/dirt before spraying. Take your time with this initial step....it will really help out. Wish I would have took more time doing this myself.

Also, I installed a 3.5 Superlift and had vibrations, I had to keep checking my drivashaft bolts to tighten them, until I got a Cardan style driveshaft. No more vibration! Did not have to do the short yoke on the transfer case. Really not sure about your driveshaft though because I got the ax-15 manual and not the automatic....might be different lengths and angles there.

Just my 2 cent worth, hope this helps out.:
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

These are pics of the Jeep the day I got her (Oct 2008). Notice how flat the springs are. The paint is a 20ft job... looks good from 20ft away. Up close, it's flaking off in places, and looks like it was just sprayed over the original paint with no prep work. The tan pinstripe looks like it was done by a 5 yr old.
Unread 12-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

^^ thanks for the advice. I already picked up some PB Blaster last night (before I read your advice). Anyway, let me tell you, PB Blaster ain't no joke! Last night I sprayed all the necessary bolts on the Jeep while it was parked in the garage. I left the garage door open for ventilation, then went inside to watch Mon Night Football. After the game, I closed the garage door and went to bed... BIG mistake! Woke up and the whole house smelled like PB Blaster! I was nauseated, and thought my dog might be dead (she wasn't).
So I recommend using PB Blaster only outside. I left the Jeep parked in the driveway after I sprayed it today.
As far as the bolts go, I'm not too concerned about them. I ordered the Rough Country spring/shackle bolt set, so I'm gonna replace them all anyway. If they don't come loose right away with wrenches and sockets, I have a recip saw ready to just cut them.
With the lift, I am worried about vibrations though. Oh well, I'll get through it some way!
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nice look'n jeep....will look good with lift!!

My springs were flat too.... I should have known they would be a pain to get off!!

Another upgrade I did was the Posi-lok cable for up front. I can feel it "pop" in when I pull it, don't have to rely on the leak prone vacuum system.

Put up some post-lift pics when your done!

You can see my jeep in my profile/gallery.
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
H3RTCH
Live Free or Die.

2004 WJ 

Great looking Jeep! Wish mine was that clean looking, even from 20 ft. Nice!

Brandon
H3RTCH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Wow, love the color scheme on that.
Unread 12-02-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVApunkROCK View Post
Wow, love the color scheme on that.
Thanks! I really like the color too. Eventually I'm gonna have it repainted with the original color and a new stripe/decal kit.
In the meantime, UPS brought me some goodies yesterday. I got an exhaust pipe (from the manifold to the cat), a Magnaflow cat, a tail pipe (from the muffler back), my spring/shackle bolt kit, and my RC big-bore steering stab.
I also got an email with my tracking # on the lift kit... it's supposed to be delivered this Friday.
This Jeep is gonna look funny with 3.5" of lift on 235/75R15 tires!
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Help!

Brown Santa brought me a gift today.
From 6:30 - 7:45 I was in the garage. I started getting stuff together, dragging out jacks and jack stands, etc...
I found out that the tech who last rotated my tires put the lug nuts on TIGHT. I don't have a cheater bar, but I couldn't get them to budge at all. I thought, "No big deal, I can just do this with the wheels on."
I found out next that my small floor jack isn't tall enough to let me get my jack stands at full height. I thought, "No big deal, I just won't use a creeper and I'll roll around on my back.
Finally, I found out that 4 days of PB Blaster wasn't enough. I got a grand total of ONE bolt out! (lower rear shock bolt, BTW)
I gave up on the rear track bar after I couldn't get the stupid torx bolt loose and then broke my only metal sawzall blade trying to unsuccessfully cut it out.
I've given up on the project for the night, but I'm not too optimistic since I don't have air tools or my Jeep jacked up very high.
If anyone in the SE Tennessee area has a big floor jack and and/or air tools and wants to help, I would be your best friend.
I can even pay a little money or beer for a helping hand, but I don't want to pay a shop because I want the experience and satisfaction from doing it myself.
I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow, wish me luck!
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yeh, Those springs been on there 21 years through every hot, rainy, cold day. Mine were tough too. PB blaster is the best local bought loosener but the pro's use Kroil.....it IS the best. Worked in a powerplant for three years, that's all we used before shutdowns on anything needing rebuild.
I would postpone...regroup...get a buddy and some more capable tools. I had cut'n tools and breaker bars and two buddy's, took us all night friday, all day saturday and about 5-6 hours sunday. Those spring bolts get rusted to the interior sleeve in the springs, so if you rotate them, just breaking that sleeve away from the rubber, and then that sleeve that's rusted to the bolt, keeps you from pulling the bolts out.......that's when you realize.....cut, cut, cut and wear eye protection( goggles ) 3 of my springs had to be cut out.

Don't let that old jeep beat U!!!
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So even if I get the nuts off the spring bolts, if they are rusted to the sleeve I won't be able to bang them out with a hammer?
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TNSahara View Post
So even if I get the nuts off the spring bolts, if they are rusted to the sleeve I won't be able to bang them out with a hammer?
Yes...that was the problem with 3 of the 4 springs on mine. When you cut the bolt....be careful for the spring hanger....don't want to damage that.

Since I have a makita grinder, I inserted cutting discs and cut the spring close to the rubber/sleeve/bolt to get the spring off the rubber, then we broke the rubber off, then spread the sleeves off the bolts......(lots of PB and beating/twisting/banging) I needed to save my bolts....we were already into it and I did not have replacement bolts.

Most folks just spread the hanger as far away from the spring as possible and cut the bolts. When you cut, error on side of the spring....keep away from the hanger as to not damage it.
Unread 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM   #15
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you know someone with an acetylene torch.....get that jeep on stands and blow those springs off in 30 minutes......If I had known.....hindsight's 20/20!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.