My '88 Comanche - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #106
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
Sorry about the excessive pics, but I'm going to get my money's worth out of Photobucket.
If you didn't know - with your upgraded account, you have server-space on JF for hosting your pictures plus the ability to attach pictures directly to your postings ...

• Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #107
mbe25

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettajeep View Post
Very nice. Always wanted one of these trucks and have a friend selling one now. I love my wife too much to bring home another Jeep.

I really ... really really really ... really REALLY hope you married guys are exagerating. I hope marraige isn't like this. I'm too much of an ******* to cater to that. I hope it is finances and not your wife that dictates these moves. Not cutting on you at all berettajeep, i'm just generalizing because i see these posts alot and its scarey.

back to the show...
mbe25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #108
Peej03
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbe25 View Post
I really ... really really really ... really REALLY hope you married guys are exagerating. I hope marraige isn't like this. I'm too much of an ******* to cater to that. I hope it is finances and not your wife that dictates these moves. Not cutting on you at all berettajeep, i'm just generalizing because i see these posts alot and its scarey.

back to the show...

If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend (yea I know, not wife) tells me that I shouldnt be trying to buy other jeeps ( I want a cherokee or cj5.. or javelin or j truck) and just stick with my own.

But this year for my birthday she tried to get me a DJ postal jeep for like $250. But it was too far away. Just the fact that she got on ebay motors and craigslist and looked at jeeps was the sweetest thing ever hahahaha

1982 CJ5 - RIP 9/3/12

1971 AMC Javelin
Peej03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #109
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJ View Post
ST's? Or STT's?
I'm going throw in my .02 here, because I've run both.

When I first got my ZJ and lifted it 2", I ran 245/75/16 Cooper S/T's. I think these are a GREAT all around tire. They're an aggressive AT and have great (IMO) road manners. I didn't notice much of an increase in noise with them over the oringal Goodyear HP's, in fact I noticed coming back from the tire shop, but after that I never noticed it again. They are also very smooth on the road, and I didn't lose any mpg, which surprised me.

They're great in mud for a not-quite MT, they self clean pretty well. I also had good luck with them in the rocks, on one steep climb I was able to walk up w/no tire spin, while a friend with BFG MT's on a near identical ZJ was spinning. In sand, they're good if aired down, but I was running a narrow size (245/75/16), so in the deep, loose stuff I needed lowrange, high was bogging a bit.

They're also great in the rain, grip and hydroplaning was never an issue. Only time they were lacking was in certain winter conditions. They don't have much sipping, and have large tread blocks, so traction on icy, hard packed snow was not great. In deeper, unplowed snow they were much better.

And IMO they are also a great looking tire, I got tons of compliments on them.

Now the STT's are definitely noiseir, and ride a little rougher. At speeds under 10mph, you can def tell you're running a MT. Kind of feels like driving a car with a lumpy idle, like a hot rod with a big cam. Once you pick up speed they smooth out, but still noisier and rougher than the Courser AT's I was running before. I got used to it rather quickly though, and honestly, the look is worth it. These are great looking tires, esp mounted on black steelies. They look really tough on my black ZJ, I get tons of compliments.

One place these tires really shine is in bad weather. I LOVE them in the snow. Same thing, on icy packed snow they'll slip, but other than that they're really good. They cut through that slushy mess on the highway like butter, I've never driven a vehicle that felt more surefooted in the snow than my ZJ with the STT's on it. They have pretty good sipping, which helps, I'm sure. They're also great in the rain, no hydroplaning or slipping at all.

Sad part is that I wheeled my ZJ with the S/T's way more than with the STT's, so other than thier good mud and snow performance, I can't comment on offroad much. They're also wearing very well, although my fronts are in worse shape than the rear becasue I've been lazy about rotating, which makes me angry with myself in retrospect.

Anyway, this is a great thread. This MJ looks gorgeous, I love the attention to detail so far. I wished the undercarraige of my ZJ looked half as good.

As for wheels, IMO the later TJ Canyons (the ones with the extra lines in the spokes) would look great.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #110
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJ View Post
ST's? Or STT's?
I like the ST's
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #111
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Its about time some more people with Manches are starting build threads, I love your MJ. Keep up the good work.
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #112
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
If you didn't know - with your upgraded account, you have server-space on JF for hosting your pictures plus the ability to attach pictures directly to your postings ...
Did not know that, thanks for the info.
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #113
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

i hate to be on the Destination AT bandwagon, but i love mine. good on the rocks, quiet on road and perfect in the rain
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #114
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I went to the Pull a Part today, and they had no ZJ rear brakes or any thing else I needed. I did find this though,

'87 D44 with 3.54's, the plot starts to thicken...

Unread 11-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #115
justanotherjpr

Good find!!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:29 PM   #116
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Great build, subscribed!

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:39 AM   #117
Cilaes
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome build. First MJ build I've gotten into yet. Subscribed fo' sho.
'04 Rubicon; 33x12.5R15 Goodyear Duratrac's; 15x8 Unique 297 Wheels; 2.5" RC Sus. Lift; RC 1.25" BL; RC Steering Stabilizer; Hidden Hitch; Green LED Guage Lights; MY BUILD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/oh-my-darlin-04-rubi-1032255/
Cilaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #118
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find on the d44. Are you still planning to run it? It's forsale on NC4x4 right?
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #119
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkrawler View Post
Nice find on the d44. Are you still planning to run it? It's forsale on NC4x4 right?
It was, but I deleted it. The classified turned into an argument between me and this jerk up the street with a junk car lot

I'm probably not going to run it, the 8.25 I have is a better fit for what I'm wanting to do. You interested?
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #120
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
It was, but I deleted it. The classified turned into an argument between me and this jerk up the street with a junk car lot

I'm probably not going to run it, the 8.25 I have is a better fit for what I'm wanting to do. You interested?
I'm working on picking up a another d44 in Charlotte. If it falls through I'll let you know.

You should run this one in your MJ
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.