I got tired of looking at the center vent pointed at the floor, so after installing my head unit I pulled all of them out. This piece of felt and one on the opposite side are all that hold the vent in position and deteriorate after time.
Not felt tape, but the loop side of some HD Velcro is pretty close. $2 at Home Depot.
It's alive. First time the MJ has ran since I went down for major surgery 2 1/2 years ago.
Did find a few items that need attention. Headlight switch is crap, have to wiggle it to make it work, the front brake calipers are stuck and most annoyingly the T-stat housing leaks. Word of advice, stay away from the aftermarket housings this is the second one I've bought and they all leak. Go used or new Mopar.
That is great news that you got it running! It's good to see some results out of a project. Now I'm really jealous of you. I had missed my opportunity to buy an '88 last month, but it was only because I didn't have the money.
I agree with you, some aftermarket parts are not worth the time or the money. Most of my parts on my 1988 YJ, including the '93 XJ 4.0 HO engine, fuel injectin system, and the PCM and wiring harness, are from the salvage yard, and thus far I have no complaints. Although, I do have some new parts on it that I have preferred to go new with.
Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
The saga of the t-stat housing is finally over. I'd planned on replacing the t-stat housing with a OEM piece and stopped in Auto Zone to pick up another gasket. I know the manager and I gave him a big loud rash of crap about how junkie the housings were so gave me a new replacement even though old one was out of warranty. I brought it home (with 2 gaskets this time), installed it and it still leaked. Instead of losing it again, I looked a little closer and found the bolts I was using (that pulled from an HO block) were about a 1/16 of an inch too long. A trip to the grinder and the second gasket fixed the finally fixed the problem. My bad Auto Zone.
I then pulled the old headlight switch and replaced it. It worked good for about 5 seconds and then would blow the parking light fuse. After about 2 hours of chasing wires, I found this...
power wire for the license plate light was grounding on the bumper. Looks like a PO had a trailer connector spliced in it at some point. Taped it up for now and no more problems.
The only other issue was the alternator was only charging 10.5 volts, this turned out to be a loose connection on the back of the alternator. When I first bought the truck very little worked on it now the only thing not working is the reverse lights. Considering how far the wiring has come I'm pleased.
Started finishing up the brakes and found I'd forgotten to install the spacer that goes behind the M/C.
Installed that and then checked out the front calipers, I think I may have let it sit to long and the front calipers are going to have to be replaced that or the stainless brake lines I bought from PORC are crap. More later.
I bought one of those outlets from OReilly and thought it was machined pretty nice compared to the cast iron 4.2 outlet. I noticed it had a spot for a temperature sensor so I switched so I can connect my TBI at the outlet and keep the factory sensor for the gauge.
I tell you what, after tracing and repairing a few factory harnesses in the last year, I am really impressed with guys like you that make it look so easy.
I just noticed you have Hanson socket organizers
1978 Cherokee, 360/T400/QT...5.3/4L60E/NP241C in the works...