My '88 Comanche - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #541
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Floppy vent fix.

I got tired of looking at the center vent pointed at the floor, so after installing my head unit I pulled all of them out. This piece of felt and one on the opposite side are all that hold the vent in position and deteriorate after time.

Not felt tape, but the loop side of some HD Velcro is pretty close. $2 at Home Depot.

Old felt tape cleaned away...

and same size Velcro piece in it's place.

and no more floppy vents.

Vents now work as designed. Quick and cheap.

kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #542
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Head unit installed.

Done.

Needs adjustment, but the battery is about dead. Done with it for today.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #543
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Odds and ends today. Including re-bleeding the brakes. Redneck one man brake bleeder.

Unread 05-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #544
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This is one awesome MJ. Really makes me want one. Keep up the stellar work. I cant wait to see it rolling around under its own power.

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #545
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Dammit! Now I am wanting to buy the MJ that is for sale just down the road from my work. Great job on the Jeep!

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #546
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

It's alive. First time the MJ has ran since I went down for major surgery 2 1/2 years ago.

Did find a few items that need attention. Headlight switch is crap, have to wiggle it to make it work, the front brake calipers are stuck and most annoyingly the T-stat housing leaks. Word of advice, stay away from the aftermarket housings this is the second one I've bought and they all leak. Go used or new Mopar.
Unread 07-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #547
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

That is great news that you got it running! It's good to see some results out of a project. Now I'm really jealous of you. I had missed my opportunity to buy an '88 last month, but it was only because I didn't have the money.

I agree with you, some aftermarket parts are not worth the time or the money. Most of my parts on my 1988 YJ, including the '93 XJ 4.0 HO engine, fuel injectin system, and the PCM and wiring harness, are from the salvage yard, and thus far I have no complaints. Although, I do have some new parts on it that I have preferred to go new with.

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #548
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

Congrats Jeff! Its hard to believe I've had mine for almost 4 years and I remember watching your build before I even bought mine. Its come a long way.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #549
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

The saga of the t-stat housing is finally over. I'd planned on replacing the t-stat housing with a OEM piece and stopped in Auto Zone to pick up another gasket. I know the manager and I gave him a big loud rash of crap about how junkie the housings were so gave me a new replacement even though old one was out of warranty. I brought it home (with 2 gaskets this time), installed it and it still leaked. Instead of losing it again, I looked a little closer and found the bolts I was using (that pulled from an HO block) were about a 1/16 of an inch too long. A trip to the grinder and the second gasket fixed the finally fixed the problem. My bad Auto Zone.

I then pulled the old headlight switch and replaced it. It worked good for about 5 seconds and then would blow the parking light fuse. After about 2 hours of chasing wires, I found this...

power wire for the license plate light was grounding on the bumper. Looks like a PO had a trailer connector spliced in it at some point. Taped it up for now and no more problems.

The only other issue was the alternator was only charging 10.5 volts, this turned out to be a loose connection on the back of the alternator. When I first bought the truck very little worked on it now the only thing not working is the reverse lights. Considering how far the wiring has come I'm pleased.

Before.

After.

Started finishing up the brakes and found I'd forgotten to install the spacer that goes behind the M/C.

Installed that and then checked out the front calipers, I think I may have let it sit to long and the front calipers are going to have to be replaced that or the stainless brake lines I bought from PORC are crap. More later.
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #550
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Spent this afternoon cleaning 2 years of dust, antifreeze etc. off the motor and front end.

Unread 08-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #551
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Bled the brakes again and then pulled the front calipers. I may be wrong, but aren't the pistons supposed to go back further than this?

Unread 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #552
MattWheels
1989 MJ Comanche 

Oh no all the amazing photos are gone
MattWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #553
1983 CJ7 

Hey Jeff, how's it going?

I bought one of those outlets from OReilly and thought it was machined pretty nice compared to the cast iron 4.2 outlet. I noticed it had a spot for a temperature sensor so I switched so I can connect my TBI at the outlet and keep the factory sensor for the gauge.

I tell you what, after tracing and repairing a few factory harnesses in the last year, I am really impressed with guys like you that make it look so easy.

I just noticed you have Hanson socket organizers
Unread 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #554
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
Spent this afternoon cleaning 2 years of dust, antifreeze etc. off the motor and front end.

Looks great!

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #555
1989comanche
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons

Looks great!
I wish mine looked that clean, I have some cleaning to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.