My '88 Comanche - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #511
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Hey brother on your wiring do you have any more pics? Any suggestion/tips? I hate all my renix wiring as well and want to fix it the right way as you have here!

DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #512
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Just read through your build. Awesome job! Definately inspired me to take that much care while doing mine. Your front suspension, interior and wiring came out great! Very jealous of your work. Keep up the great job.

PS.... if you want to do another mj project. You can do mine for sure : )

forumrunner_20121018_154450.jpg
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #513
SnowYJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

^nice longbed
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #514
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertXj88 View Post
Hey brother on your wiring do you have any more pics? Any suggestion/tips? I hate all my renix wiring as well and want to fix it the right way as you have here!
Thanks, here's a few of them. This is what I stared with...

ZJ Box and my homemade bracket for the diagnostic connectors...

Cover off...

Overall...

The PDC diagram...

All the factory fusible links are now replaced with Maxi fuses. This took a lot of time. As far as advice, get a factory wiring diagram, solder every joint and take your time.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #515
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

When you replaced your fuse panel, did you get one from the jy and splice it in?
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #516
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I got the new radiator installed, but with the new radiator didn't have the mounting hole for the factory temp sensor like the old one. Locally no one carries an all metal radiator that has this mounting hole. The mounting hole is located...

There are a number of topics online about this, most recommend using a late model t-stat housing and a sending unit from an early 80's vette. The sensor set points are close, but not exactly right.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/18933-...rature-sensor/

I wanted to be able to control the temp the fan came on, but i didn't want to run it off a toggle. A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the Summit Catalog and found this gauge...

everything I was looking for. Adjustable high and low set points etc. except $188.28 shipped was out of price range. Ebay to the rescue...

Slightly used and $85 shipped. I picked up an Auto Meter Cherokee dual gauge pod...

and a 3692 voltmeter. Mounted in the pod...

Just a few more wires to run...

Jeff
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #517
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayZeejay View Post
When you replaced your fuse panel, did you get one from the KY and splice it in?
Yes and most of the under hood harness.

Unread 10-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #518
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayZeejay View Post
Just read through your build. Awesome job! Definately inspired me to take that much care while doing mine. Your front suspension, interior and wiring came out great! Very jealous of your work. Keep up the great job.

PS.... if you want to do another mj project. You can do mine for sure : )

Looks good. Sorry, no more projects. Wife's and Doctor's orders.
Unread 10-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #519
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
I got the new radiator installed, but with the new radiator didn't have the mounting hole for the factory temp sensor like the old one. Locally no one carries an all metal radiator that has this mounting hole. The mounting hole is located...

There are a number of topics online about this, most recommend using a late model t-stat housing and a sending unit from an early 80's vette. The sensor set points are close, but not exactly right.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/18933-...rature-sensor/

I wanted to be able to control the temp the fan came on, but i didn't want to run it off a toggle. A couple of weeks ago I was looking through the Summit Catalog and found this gauge...

everything I was looking for. Adjustable high and low set points etc. except $188.28 shipped was out of price range. Ebay to the rescue...

Slightly used and $85 shipped. I picked up an Auto Meter Cherokee dual gauge pod...

and a 3692 voltmeter. Mounted in the pod...

Just a few more wires to run...

Jeff

Very nice find on that gauge. I'm deffinetly going to look for it or something similar..Very very nice! You get the control & a more accurate gauge all in one!
So you can set the high & low correct? Would it be plausible to run a ford tarus E-fan off that gauge? Have low turn on around 185-190* and high at 215*..factory comes on at 210* I believe. Seems like it would be perfect!
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #520
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice find on that gauge, looks like exactly what I need, bookmarked for later.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #521
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Still buttoning up some of the wiring in the engine compartment and I keep going back to this.

This is before I changed out the WJ booster and M/C, but the brake lines are the same. OK, but the lines stick out far enough the washer reservoir won't fit. So after twisting and bending, them I made it even worse (no pics of that).

I made a run to the pull-a-part and did some comparisons, and this is what I came up with.

'00 XJ proportioning valve, XJ proportioning valve lines, the XJ left front hard line and another ZJ proportioning valve.

The hard lines for the rear and RF can be re-bent to reach the XJ valve, then simply replace the LF line. No double or bubble flares, no custom lines and no adapters. after the install I then pulled the plunger and spring from the XJ valve...

...and replaced them with the ZJ stuff. This pic shows the difference between the two.

Using the parts I listed takes a lot of the headaches out of the dual diaphragm booster upgrade for the Renix. BTW Disregard the part about the ZJ valve if you are running rear drums.

Unread 11-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #522
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Reinstalled the washer tank. Had to be moved forward 1/2", but plenty of room between it and the brake lines.

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #523
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Spent the day pulling wires for the gauges and some other stuff.

While it's apart I'm swapping the Blaupunkt Kingston head unit out with the JVC KD-X80BT from my M3. Mess.

Ran the sending unit for the gauge, bushing for the t-stat housing was kind of hard to find.

Mini console.

One more for future reference.

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #524
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertXj88 View Post
Very nice find on that gauge. I'm deffinetly going to look for it or something similar..Very very nice! You get the control & a more accurate gauge all in one!
So you can set the high & low correct? Would it be plausible to run a ford tarus E-fan off that gauge? Have low turn on around 185-190* and high at 215*..factory comes on at 210* I believe. Seems like it would be perfect!
Not sure, I've just started messing with it. I'll let you know.
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #525
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Worked on the wiring for the Auto Meter gauge. The gauge uses a negative trigger to turn on an accessory (in my case the fan) at a user set temp.

The easiest way I found to activate the fan is by simply applying 12+ to the #2 pin on the fan relay...

...but since the gauge uses a negative trigger, I used another relay wired to convert the negative signal to 12v+...

I dug through my electrical junk box and found an add on fuse box and a Bosch relay. I mounted these on the lower dash. Not the ideal place, but the holes in the fuse box lined up with a couple of factory holes and I mounted the relay on one of the factory studs.

I ran 2 wires into the engine bay and spliced them into the #2 pin's orange wire.

Then I wrapped them in some 3M rubber splicing tap (I love this stuff).

The power comes from one of the keyed power outlets in the factory fuse box. The yellow wires are for the Auto Meter gauge and the black wire is for an override switch.

Got a box from OTRATTW few days ago, can't say enough good things about these folks.

Switches.

Fan switch and an extra switch mounted. I'm moving the switches for the lights.

So now the fan will turn on with the A/C, when the gauge reaches the temp I set or with the override switch.

Jeff

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.