My '88 Comanche - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 11-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #406
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

97+ Valve cover test fit...

The old cover had a small leak at the rear corner. This should take care of all but the last leak at the filter housing and upgrade the PCV system as well...

Ford injectors, the old #1 injector was leaking...

Taylor engine to firewall ground strap...

Installed...

kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #407
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

A little gift from the PO...

Ford injectors and fuel rail installed...

Also used an HO injector harness to replace the flex conduit...

Still need to do the vacuum lines...

I'm about 90% done on the lighting and underhood wiring as of now. Still need to redo the cooling system and few more details under the hood to finish up. Then back the the headliner...

Unread 11-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #408
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Fantastic work. I really like how much care you are putting into the under hood wiring harness. The adaptation of the ZJ PDC is a great idea. You should never have to pull your hair out searching for a blown fuse link now.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #409
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

was the 97+ valve cover a direct bolt on? i would like to use one for the better gasket next time i do it.

great wiring work. that stuff scares me.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #410
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Fantastic work. I really like how much care you are putting into the under hood wiring harness. The adaptation of the ZJ PDC is a great idea. You should never have to pull your hair out searching for a blown fuse link now.
Thanks, and I hope you are right. The leaking clutch master cylinder and the PO pretty much wrecked the electrical system, hopefully this is the last of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
was the 97+ valve cover a direct bolt on? i would like to use one for the better gasket next time i do it.

great wiring work. that stuff scares me.
It's a direct bolt on. I've read you can use the new style gasket on the older valve covers as well.
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #411
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
It's a direct bolt on. I've read you can use the new style gasket on the older valve covers as well.
cool thanks. i guess ill try the new gasket and pick up a newer style cover just in case.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #412
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

$20 headliner

Since my old headliner was ruined, I had to start from scratch. I found this guy that "remolded" (his word) the backer boards and then covered them in any color fabric you want. $100 shipped. Fair enough I thought that will save me some time and when I get it I'll just toss it in. While it looked good out of the box, and I followed his directions for installation it now resides at the dump. Poor fitment, misaligned holes blah blah blah. So I posted a WTB in a local forum to find an old factory backer, this is the first $20 backer...

My son picked it up for me, and it is even uglier in person. It's unusable without major work and there is a least an inch and a half missing off the bottom edge. I went to the pull a part on the other side of town to pick up some nuts and bolts and scrounge around. Seems they had just gotten an '88 long box in that had been hit in the drivers door.

The headliner was in great shape just dirty. So here's the second $20 headliner...

I'm going to pick up some fabric and glue this weekend, and hopefully this will be the end of the headliner ordeal.
Unread 11-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #413
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome work on the MJ. I'm looking forward to seeing this done.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
Jeepster83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #414
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
Awesome work on the MJ. I'm looking forward to seeing this done.
Thanks, me too.

I yanked the radiator and remaining hoses tonight. I also flushed the block and heater core. The stock radiator is toast, no big surprise...

Water pump and lower radiator hose are both OE and will be replaced. Upgrades will include T-stat and late model electric fan.

Lay-off looms this coming Sunday at work, The final total was to be 60, but we were informed today that number has been reduced to 22. Good news for a lot of my friends.

Jeff
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #415
1983 CJ7 

Lots of activity!

Sorry about your bud's getting laid off, but you are not one of them

I read through the last four pages and saw your oldest son's wrecked Jeep but didn't see how it happened, but nobody is hurt and that is more great news.

All the updates looks great, PDC, valve cover, switches and now you have a good headliner shell to work with.

Thanks for the links on the headlights. I am guilty of wanting to make a lot of things believing I will spend less money but more of my time. I burn myself quite often!
Unread 12-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #416
BamaXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Hey buddy, just another XJ guy stopping by to give props on a job well done. How did you get your engine bay that clean? I've gotten it degreased and steam cleaned and it's still not the prettiest.

Thanks.
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #417
lk123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

This is insane lol props dude.
93 2wd pos xj sport *sold*
89 nissan 240sx *wrecked*-03 Cbr954rr *traded*
2nd 89 nissan 240sx *sold*
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #418
kk33
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Im hooked now. Keep the updates coming
kk33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #419
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Lots of activity!

Sorry about your bud's getting laid off, but you are not one of them

I read through the last four pages and saw your oldest son's wrecked Jeep but didn't see how it happened, but nobody is hurt and that is more great news.

All the updates looks great, PDC, valve cover, switches and now you have a good headliner shell to work with.

Thanks for the links on the headlights. I am guilty of wanting to make a lot of things believing I will spend less money but more of my time. I burn myself quite often!
Thanks Dave, Christmas has stalled the progress some, but should have some more progress after the next week or so. The wreck was caused by a damaged brake line from the previous day's "muddin". He didn't think it would be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaXJ View Post
Hey buddy, just another XJ guy stopping by to give props on a job well done. How did you get your engine bay that clean? I've gotten it degreased and steam cleaned and it's still not the prettiest.

Thanks.
Thanks, I followed what I remembered from an old Hot Rod magazine article I read back in the day. It covered cleaning, painting detailing the engine without removing it. Basically start with lots of degreaser and lots of wiping. Removing accessories makes it easier to clean and repaint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
This is insane lol props dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk33 View Post
Im hooked now. Keep the updates coming
Appreciate the comments.
Unread 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #420
comanche12
1987 MJ Comanche 

great job on your MJ! you inspiring me about those insane electric works but later this summer I will try do same after redo the interior!

also I gotta make thread for my project MJ at this forum not just comancheclub only.
comanche12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.