My '88 Comanche - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 01-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #226
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

where do you buy those axle tube seals for the front diff?
These are the ones I bought-->Superior Axle Tube Seals - RED(Pair) Jeep 1997-08, TJ/XJ/ZJ/JK, they're made by Superior, and they're the only ones they carried back when I bought mine. $59.95. They now carry the ones made by Alloy USA for $46.95. Alloy USA Billet Aluminum Axle Tube Seals - Red (Pair) or Alloy USA Billet Aluminum Axle Tube Seals - Black (Pair).

kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #227
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

OK kids been kind of busy for the past few days. I pulled the jumble of lines and the rear load sensing valve...

I fixed the broken bolts in the 8.25 yoke. My friend Mark at work drilled the holes out and I went with 1/4" grade 8's and some lock nuts....

Then I spent the better part of two days wallowing around under the back end with the pressure washer wand and a multitude of every imaginable spray cleaners. About half way there...

Then, no less than 6 cans of Semi Gloss Black and 2 cans of spray undercoating later...

I moved the bracket for the rear brake hose forward of the 'X' member XJ style, and installed the ZJ parking brake cables I picked up. The left side is kind of tight and I'm probably going to have to replace it.

The shocks are Bilstein 5125's. The bump stops are Prothane 4.5" and I picked them up from Jegs.com. I used Jegs when I built my '68 Mustang years ago, and they always had excellent service. Speaking of excellent I ordered them Thursday night online and got them Friday afternoon...

My "high tech" $6.99 breather hose and the new brake line location...

Some random shots, ignore the rusty tail pipe, the exhaust will be replaced next.

Left side...

I'm going to pull the bed when I have it painted and I'll hit everything I couldn't get too then. Right side...

Next, we explore proportioning valve hell and the WJ booster/master cylinder install...

Thanks for looking

Last edited by kabowabo; 01-28-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Unread 01-29-2010, 05:13 AM   #228
NEPAjeep02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure I apeak for everyone when I say, unbelievable. Beautiful stuff.

Those shocks have tons of travel.

1974 Dodge Powerwagon W200 (Beater)- D44 front(4.10), D60 rear(4.10), 318 V8, NP435, NP205 NP203 Doubler. STOLEN

1980 CJ-5 - Parting out. Let me know if you need anything.

1983 VW Rabbit GTI - 2.0 ABA swap, etc.
1998 VW Jetta GT - Parts car
NEPAjeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM   #229
konatown69
1999 XJ Cherokee 

excellent job, if only it would stay that amazing looking forever. Great job!!

1999 Cherokee Classic, 4.0, AW4, Np242 {HP30 & 8.8 4.56's & locked - build under construction}
konatown69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #230
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Kabo...as always GREAT JOB!

A few questions and comments:

I really like the idea with the 1/4 bolts on your yoke. I assume you just drilled out the threads of the yoke?

You should shave the bottom of th 8.25 with a grinder so all that you see is the diff cover. There are some decent write ups on it out there.

What travel are the 5100s? 10"?

Regarding the proportioning valves. I ditched the MJ set up completly and I'm running the XJ valve with a single brake line to the rear axle, no load sensing set up. Just seems a lot simplier and less problematic....my .02

Again the truck looks awesome!
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #231
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkrawler View Post

I really like the idea with the 1/4 bolts on your yoke. I assume you just drilled out the threads of the yoke?
Thanks for the compliment....The holes for the original bolts went all the way through the yoke even though only the first half was threaded. Mark drilled them out from the back to the front using the holes for a guide. I was going to use a u-bolt kit the grade 8's were his idea.

Quote:

You should shave the bottom of th 8.25 with a grinder so all that you see is the diff cover. There are some decent write ups on it out there.
I didn't know about doing that. Man, it would have been so simple to do with the axle out of the truck. I guess I'll put that on the list...

Quote:

What travel are the 5100s? 10"?
They're 11.9. The 10's would have been too short, on the ground with the weight on the rear suspension the distance between the mounting bolts is just under 24" the 10's fully extended are 25.93". These may be end up being a little long, but the big red bump stops will help with that.

I picked the shocks up here, Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com free shipping, and if you hit the back button at check out they'll give you 10% off.
Unread 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #232
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Regarding the proportioning valves. I ditched the MJ set up completly and I'm running the XJ valve with a single brake line to the rear axle, no load sensing set up. Just seems a lot simplier and less problematic....my .02
I agree with you. I ditched the original line for the rear brakes and I'm just using the old bypass line. My first thought on a PV was to simply use the old MJ splitter, and block off the bypass port. There are a lot of opinions on this, but I really like the idea of a working PV.

My first choice was an XJ PV, I installed one from a '92 and couldn't get any pressure to the rear brakes.

I pulled the PV apart, and the black cup/o-ring had come apart and was apparently blocking pressure to the rear wheels. I reassembled the PV without the cup and I had pressure to the rear wheels. The thing is without the cup in place the PV functions basically as a splitter. Not what I wanted. I found this article ZJ Proportioning Valve and I picked up a ZJ PV from a 95 with 4 wheel discs. The article explains the needed minor mods. The end result...

Unread 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #233
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great man!

Project: Silverback Ash to ash, dust to dust... Skin to bone, steel to rust... You will be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
Cleanly done bob jobs are so cool.
RockRodHooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #234
89eliminator
1989 MJ Comanche 

looks awesome, but that seems to be normal for all the updates.
Unread 01-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #235
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Thanks.

Some progress today, I pulled the old booster and master cylinder last night. The new WJ booster and the old MJ one...

Today I installed the PV ...

New booster with spacer and gaskets...

Booster and M/C installed...

The new hard lines, showing off my less than stellar tube bending skills.

Pretty straight forward stuff. I didn't modifiy the booster rod the way some of the write-ups describe...XJ Cherokee Conversion to WJ Front Brakes & Steering...Instead of going back with the old style brake light switch...

I picked up a Renix are cruise control bracket, and I'm going to run a latter model switch. It'll look like this...

An parting outside shot...

Unread 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #236
woodkrawler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like you guys got a decent amount of snow! We got around 3-4" in North Charlotte......I REALLY wished my truck was ready so I could have gotten out and enjoyed the snow
woodkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #237
rymanrph
1997 MJ Comanche 

We probably got that much snow in Albemarle, but we got a ton of sleet too and it just beat all the snow down. I took the TJ out and after I got out of my neighborhood, the roads were fine, so no fun to be had.
rymanrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #238
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Looks like you guys got a decent amount of snow! We got around 3-4" in North Charlotte......I REALLY wished my truck was ready so I could have gotten out and enjoyed the snow
I was thinking the same thing. We got 6 1/2 to 7 inches, the a mix of sleet and snow on top of it. I went to work early this morning. They plowed most of the streets and we had about 2-3 inches of compacted snow and ice on the roads. No problem for the XJ though, this is about 6:45 am...

Unread 01-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #239
JeepSpeed18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What color are you diff covers I really like it.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Jessie The Jeep (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #240
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepSpeed18 View Post
What color are you diff covers I really like it.
Rustoleum Engine Enamel "Cast Coat Iron" You can get it at the Zone.

AutoZone.com | Engine Paint

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.