My '88 Comanche - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My '88 Comanche

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #151
99XJon
1999 XJ Cherokee 

oh sorry bud, i was reffering to the orange colored bushings on the first page.

99XJon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #152
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XJon View Post
oh sorry bud, i was reffering to the orange colored bushings on the first page.
They're red the orange color is from the sun and my cheap camera. They are from Energy Suspension, the first link.
kabowabo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #153
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

I've been sidelined for most of the last week waiting on parts. I ordered a set of SS brake lines for the front and rear, but I wanted some for the rear calipers as well. I found what I needed at Summit Racing. Earl's brand right length, right ends everything except they are out of stock til Dec. 1...then Dec 7...now Dec 12. I canceled the order and tried to figure out how to use the rubber lines I have. Most of the rear disc conversions I've seen online have either left the line dangling or welded the bracket to the housing. I wanted to do neither, so here is what I came up with. I reversed the lines from left to right and mounted them with the loop the bottom. I then ground the mounting tab to fit. Not what I wanted to do, but the loop is a good inch above the housing bottom and should work out OK...

The hard line installed. Still needs to be tweaked a little, but you get the idea...

Clearance shot. I shouldn't ever be an issue...

Unread 11-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #154
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

After drizzling rain all day Monday, today turned out pretty nice. I got inspired, so my son Jake and I yanked the old D35 out. A before shot...

Here's a couple shots of the factory 'load sensing valve'. I plan to bypass this and run a XJ proportioning valve until I upgrade to a dual diaphragm booster and newer model master cylinder. Then I'll switch it out for a ZJ 4 wheel disc unit.

No more D35, or much of anything else...

A forgotten part. The shackle bushings are shot, gonna have to order some tonight. Scrounged around a little and found an Energy Suspensions part number (2.2111G), be here in a few days.

Last stop for the old D35.

I hopefully will have all the parts together for the 8.25 install after I finish my 8 day stretch at work, that begins on Thanksgiving day. Now if I can only make up my mind on a diff cover.
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #155
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabowabo View Post
I kinda like that, I've been trying to figure out how I want to do that part on my new D44 (that came from an MJ), I wasn't really happy with how they turned out on the one I have in it now out of an XJ, just kind of zip tied it all in place(ghetto, I know). I was actually thinking about welding mounting tabs, but might try the way you did it.

I think the line should be ok, remember you'll still have the tire and wheel partially protecting that area.

Quote:
So thats what that was for! I was trying to figure out what that bracket was for when I started stripping down my MJ44.

Quote:
I hopefully will have all the parts together for the 8.25 install after I finish my 8 day stretch at work, that begins on Thanksgiving day. Now if I can only make up my mind on a diff cover.
My vote is for Riddler, those things are BEEFY!

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #156
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
I kinda like that, I've been trying to figure out how I want to do that part on my new D44 (that came from an MJ), I wasn't really happy with how they turned out on the one I have in it now out of an XJ, just kind of zip tied it all in place(ghetto, I know). I was actually thinking about welding mounting tabs, but might try the way you did it.

I think the line should be ok, remember you'll still have the tire and wheel partially protecting that area.

So thats what that was for! I was trying to figure out what that bracket was for when I started stripping down my MJ44.

My vote is for Riddler, those things are BEEFY!
Nothing wrong with zip ties. That fix crossed my mind a time or two, but as this project has evolved I'm unfortunately becoming more and more anal.

That is their 'Load Sensing Valve', from what I've read at it's best it worked poorly. I really don't understand the concept, definitely a MJ thing.

My first choice is the Riddler cover. I've just been looking for one I like better, no luck yet.
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #157
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That is their 'Load Sensing Valve', from what I've read at it's best it worked poorly. I really don't understand the concept, definitely a MJ thing.
My educated guess would be as load increases, it would increase braking power?

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #158
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
My educated guess would be as load increases, it would increase braking power?
In theory, I'd say you are correct, or maybe brake bias? Don't know. When we pulled it today I had my son press the pedal with the rear hose disconnected and the fluid just barely trickled out. When it was new it probably worked very well, now it's just scary.
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #159
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, it sounds like a novel idea, but too complicated compared to just putting better brakes on it, which is probably why you don't see it anymore, just big brakes lol.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #160
goobooroo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice build so far! Oh yeah, get a Riddler diff cover.
goobooroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #161
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobooroo View Post
Nice build so far! Oh yeah, get a Riddler diff cover.
Thanks, I'm ordering one Weds.
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #162
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And why not a d44?? Isnt the 8.25 wider and less strong? You plan on wheeling this thing at all?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #163
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, it sounds like a novel idea, but too complicated compared to just putting better brakes on it, which is probably why you don't see it anymore, just big brakes lol.
Actually many modern small pickup trucks and SUVs have that load sensing proportioning valve. The problem with the MJ's is that they have not been available since 1992 and the rebuild kits are long gone. 20 year old rubber parts just are not that reliable. It is much more simple to get a normal proportioning valve or use the factory MJ's 50/50 split with the load valve removed.

In theory, as the load increases in the bed more braking bias would be sent to the rear brakes. That IS the MJ's proportioning valve.

Nice work on the truck
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #164
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
And why not a d44?? Isnt the 8.25 wider and less strong? You plan on wheeling this thing at all?
The 44 is really only marginally stronger than the 8.25. Kind of like the 8.8 vs. Dana 44 argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Actually many modern small pickup trucks and SUVs have that load sensing proportioning valve. The problem with the MJ's is that they have not been available since 1992 and the rebuild kits are long gone. 20 year old rubber parts just are not that reliable. It is much more simple to get a normal proportioning valve or use the factory MJ's 50/50 split with the load valve removed.

In theory, as the load increases in the bed more braking bias would be sent to the rear brakes. That IS the MJ's proportioning valve.

Nice work on the truck
Ok that helps, one day I do want an MJ as a DD/parts hauler/beat around truck, so now I know a little more about them. Though now that you explain it, it does make sense to do the proportioning valve like that, no point in having much braking power to the rear if there isn't any weight in the rear to keep the tires planted.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 11-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #165
kabowabo
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
I'm not going to get drawn into some kind of diff debate on this, all the explanation needed for my choice of parts is outlined in my posts.

Last edited by kabowabo; 11-25-2009 at 09:01 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.