My 65th Anniversary Edition Jeep Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 65th Anniversary Edition Jeep Build

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 65th Anniversary Edition Jeep Build

It's a bit early in the process... but Im bored so I'm starting my build thread.

I bought my Jeep NEW back in Mid 2006. I LOVE Jeep Green and it came with a D44, I6, etc...so I was happy. Here is a pick when he was brand new:

It is still stock, due to many factors...money of course. But I have finally made my decisions and began ordering everything I need for my lift. As a NEWB, I spent countless hours on this forum asking questions and researching. I want to thank EVERYONE here for contributing to the best forum on the interent. This Jeep family here has been so gracious in offering info...even on the stupidest of questions.

Initially, I was planning on a 2.25" BB and a 1.25" BL/MML combo. I bought everything I needed, but for SOME reason...I never installed them. I dont know why but I am grateful anyway. Now, I am selling the 2.25" BB and putting that money towards other things.

My final decision was to purchase the Rough Country 3.25" Lift kit and still go forth with my 1.25" BL/MML combo. This should give me 4.5" of total lift and give me the look I want to run 33's. I'm also going to be selling the 15x8 stock Alcoa's and running Black Steelies (DRing Style) instead.

Anyway, enough babble for now... this weekend I will begin with the BL install and will take pics and post results. Here are a few more current, stock picks:

Jeep Green

Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
JKS 1.25" Body Lift & 1" Budget Motor Mount Lift
33x12.50/15 BFG All-Terrain's on 15x8 ProComp Series 51 w/ 3.75" BS
jrb470 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #2
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
02blacktj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

nice jeep! i like the color! although, imo i think you should keep the alcoas instead of getting the black steelies.
02blacktj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02blacktj View Post
nice jeep! i like the color!
Thanks! I love Jeep Green...one reason I bought it!

Quote:
although, imo i think you should keep the alcoas instead of getting the black steelies.
You know... the wheel topic has been a hard one for me. I like the Alcoa's...but they aren't "deep" enough, IMO. PLUS... believe it or not, I can get a tire/wheel pack mounted, balanced AND delivered for LESS than it would cost for wheel spacers and buying the tires locally.

That's kinda where my thought process went. I was going to sell the Alcoa's but maybe I'll hold off just in case.

Damn... now I'm torn again!

Anyone else want to lend a hand with their opinion on the wheels?
Jeep Green

Unread 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i like the alcoa's, here's something to consider, if the black steelies are heavier+ 33inchers = longer stops and harder working brakes
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
04xrckmtn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat you are. You actually PM'ed me a week or so ago about running spacers w/ the alcoa's.

I like my alcoa's but I'm about to switch them out for some steelies. I got 5 d windows delivered for $205. I'll end up selling my spidertrax spacers but I think I'll hold on to the alcoa's.

I'm switching for a few reasons. The main reason is I just don't like the thought of wheeling with spacers. I know everyone says they're perfectly safe but I find myself worrying while I'm out. I also have a bright silver jeep and I'm not a big fan of the chrome rim/silver jeep look. Black rims, spray the hubs black, and add some black lugs FTW.
04xrckmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xrckmtn View Post
I'm in the same boat you are. You actually PM'ed me a week or so ago about running spacers w/ the alcoa's.

I like my alcoa's but I'm about to switch them out for some steelies. I got 5 d windows delivered for $205. I'll end up selling my spidertrax spacers but I think I'll hold on to the alcoa's.

I'm switching for a few reasons. The main reason is I just don't like the thought of wheeling with spacers. I know everyone says they're perfectly safe but I find myself worrying while I'm out. I also have a bright silver jeep and I'm not a big fan of the chrome rim/silver jeep look. Black rims, spray the hubs black, and add some black lugs FTW.
I remember Pm'ing you about them. You made a good point about the spacers... I think I will do the steelies... like I said it costs the SAME having them mounted and balanced and delivered to my door ready to go as it it does to buy spacers and the tires locally.
Jeep Green

Unread 02-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

So today I installed the JKS 1.25" Body Lift and the Budget Motor Mount Lift.
Overall it went pretty smooth but I did have some challenges along the way. First of all... if you are going to do a Motor Mount Lift, BUY THE MOUNTS! I don't know what I was thinking trying to save a couple of bucks with the spacer mounts. They WORK but I think I will eventually replace them with a complete mount. Oh well. Live and Learn.

Here is the biggest challenge I had:

I followed the Rokkman videos and took out the small torx screws around the gas tank filler neck to disassemble it from the escusion that is mounted to the body. I think this was a mistake because I could NOT get that thing close enough to line back up after the lift!! Ultimately I ended up replacing the little torx screws with #10 x 1.5" stainless steel screws and washers. The longer srews grabbed the filler kneck and drew it into the escusion. A little flat black Rustoleum and we were good to go. Other than that... I had no other problems after the lift; shifter, etc were fine!

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Not too much of a difference but it is a start.

Jeff
Jeep Green

Unread 02-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #9
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Before and After Pics of the 1.25"BL / 1" BMML

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Jeep Green

Unread 02-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #10
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Driveability After Body Lift

At first, I noticed a SLIGHT vibration at 60+ MPH felt through the gas pedal. After about 20 miles, it's gone. Today, I put about 50 total miles on the jeep and it felt great. Im waiting for my refund check and then Im ordering my Tire/Wheel Package. The RC 3.25" Lift is already ordered.

One thing I'm thinking about:

Leveling the Jeep. The RC Lift I ordered comes with four .75" spacers to go above the 2.5" Springs. I'm thinking about just putting them up front to level it a bit. Hmmmm decisions decisions.

Any suggestions?
Jeep Green

Unread 02-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

This morning, I noticed that the Transfer Case Shifter won't go into any position (2 or 4WD). Why I didn't notice this YESTERDAY is beyond me... tunnel vision i suppose.

I did NOT install the TC Relocation bracket because I have been told I didnt need to since I did the BL with the MML. Will installing the bracket fix my problem?

Jeep Green

Unread 02-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
redline562
1999 TJ Wrangler 

very clean
redline562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So it ended up that I DID have to install the TC Shifter Bracket that came with the JKS BL. A bit of adjustment afterwards and it's all fixed!

Im ready for my suspension lift and tires/wheels!!
Jeep Green

Unread 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
jrb470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Patience is a virtue. But waiting really SUCKS. I promised my wife I would wait for the tax return to get here before ordering my Tires/Rims. It should be deposited any day now! I'm still waiting for my RC 3.25 Lift Kit due to a shock back order...but that will be shipped tomorrow hopefully!

Im ordering from Tirepackage.com- Im getting 5 ProComp Black Steelies (D-Rings) and 5 BFG AT's (33's) for 1230.00 mounted balanced and delivered. That seems like a really good price to me. Im going with the AT's because it is my DD for now and we get quite a bit of rain in the summers down here...so i want something good in wet weather... I didnt think Mud Terrains would cut it....but Im always open to suggestions.

Next item on my list will be either a cargo rack OR rear Bumper/tire carrier and tow hitch. I am planning on a small cargo trailer too...so a hitch is essential.
Jeep Green

Unread 02-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
04xrckmtn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Waiting definitely sucks. I ordered THIS a few weeks ago....probably going to be a couple months before it comes in.

Good choice in rims tho

Had mine installed this weekend. I ordered some black lugs and some cheap center caps ($1.99/each) that I'm going to paint black.
04xrckmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.