My 4.0 and AW4 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 4.0 and AW4 swap

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #1
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My 4.0 and AW4 swap

On Aug 5th after a fun and evenfull trip from internal affairs my 1997 TJ finally blew the 2.5 L on the way home. It was an end to the perfect day that I was already having. Other that a few bugs that I am having with the swap it is now complete. The engine is strong and the tranny shifts perfectly. I love the power, and it was well worth the time I spent with my Dad. I am doing this thread to help others from making the same mistakes that I did.

*First of all do your research on the engine and transmission that you want. If you dont have the money at the time do not settle for whatever.*

*Do not rely on Ebay descriptions for your parts. Just because it says the right year and model does not mean that it is. Some people are just trying to sell parts. Although there are a lot of legit sellers out there.*

*And the main this is...RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH..before you buy anything.*

*If you are doing this swap from stay away from a 2000..LOL. Trust me...*

Times were tuff at the time and my Father helped me considerably during all of this. We towed my TJ to my Dads garage for the main swap. I searched Craigslist for a while and found a 4.0 and tranny out of a XJ with Tcase for 800 bucks. Not a bad deal for all of it. We went and picked it up and gave it a good look over. I bought it.

Here is where the research comes in. I assumed the auto trans in the XJ was the same in the TJ. I know, Like I said these are my mistakes.

I found out the XJ has an AW4 tranny in it. I did some searching on JF and found a link to Stu's site. I about fell out when I found out the amount of work you have to do to put in a AW4. Stu's site was very detailed about this. So, I pressed on. My father and I are both Marines and I was not about to tell the old man that I could not do it.

1st day. We started pulling out the 4 banger and the tranny. This was pretty simple. Not much to pulling out the engine. I did my best to keep up with my bolts and such and looked on the other side where my Dad was working and he was putting them all in a can...LOL. yeah, I laughed.

Anyways.. we got the Engine and tranny out. At home in the evenings I started making the transmission harnes needed to hook up the AW4 to the TJ ECU (which I have not bought yet). Find a ECU for the swap is a long and costly story. I did not have a VIN to go off of.

Enough today...

Unread 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
rhovater
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Taking it to my dads

forumrunner_20121216_234615.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.