My 2015 WK2 build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
wk2eric
2015 WK 

My 2015 WK2 build

2015 WK2. Just working on making it more utility than "sport."

I recently went through a career change which left me with only my wife's paycheck for a couple of months... Now that we're financially healthy and stable again, time to make the baby hauler more fun for Dad.

Current realistic to-do list:
Bilstein 5100
TJ rear 3/4" pucks
Rubicon takeoffs (5)
Install 50" lightbar up top (front)
Skid plates
Rock sliders

It currently has 'awesome' flex:

It tows:

It gets muddy:

It sees snow:

It sees sand:

It sees trails and camping:

It sees consequences of poor stock tires:

Stay tuned for progress

Eric

Last edited by wk2eric; 06-07-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 03:02 PM
tybarious
1999 WJ 

Garage
nice

1999 Grand Cherokee 4.0L
post #3 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 08:41 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Good looking jeep,
but it's that boat that's got me feeling lust.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
wk2eric
2015 WK 

post #5 of 5 Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
wk2eric
2015 WK 

I decided to wire up my LED bar last night, to be mounted on my basket, from the 12v in the trailer wiring.

It's much easier to run the wiring through the liftgate and down the C pillar where there's access to the back/bottom of the Jeep. I fused and relayed some wiring last night that taps in to the constant 12v at the trailer plug. since i'm aftermarket on the hitch/wiring, I just spliced in to the p&p harness > 4/7way connector. I fused the power lead from the vehicle to the light bar/trailer plug with 30A, no heavier of a fuse than whats under the hood - i'd rather have THIS one pop first to avoid anything going wrong with factory wiring/fuses etc.. Another reason I chose to do it this way as opposed to 12v/12ga for another 15-18ft was to avoid additional wiring that was not needed, either inside OR outside the rig. Since I don't tow a trailer with a battery, or that requires power, using the existing 12v lead to the trailer plug was an easy decision. I'm going to make a run to the hardware store to see what kind of plugs I can buy to create a quick disconnect and if I have time i'll run the wiring from the relay in the rear to a switch in an undecided location around the center console area.

For mounting this lightbar, I happened to have some spare rack parts laying around - specifically one pair of old thule rail grabbers with a 50" square bar. I inverted the rail grabbers (mounted them upside-down) on the basket which gives the perfect amount of space to mount the light bar under the front of the basket. I'll take pictures this evening of the progress on it. I've been scouring craigslist for a good piece of 1/4"-3/8"x 12"x60" acrylic/plexi/lexan, that I can cut down to size and use as a fairing/bug shield for the light so I don't have to do a ton of scrubbing on the light all of the time. Seems like everything is a little too small though. Hiding the 50" bar behind 48" of 'glass may look a little silly.

Also decided I won't be using the 6" pair of bars on the Jeep, i'll be using them for the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.