Well I put the bumper on the front to check for fitment and alignment of holes. I put a couple of bolts loosely in the top to hold the bumper on, and then checked alignment. I crawled underneath to check the two holes down there and noticed that it was a little close. I then noticed that there was no way to get to the winch bolts if I didn't mount the winch first, so I pulled the bumper off to mount the winch.
The holes for the winch were perfect, and the mounting of the winch went easily. The winch docs didn't say anything about torque amounts, so I just torqued it to Mike Specs...lol
Then I slid the bumper back on the frame and put a couple bolts back in. Checked the center alignment and then hand tightened the first two bolts on the top. I then crawled under the front to put the bottom two bolts in. The fit was tight and I found that I had to use my legs to push up on the grill guard tube to get the bottom two holes lined up. I put the bottom bolts to hand tight and then put the last two bolts in on top. The bumper doc's didn't have anything about torque for the bolts, so I got the wrench out and torqued them down to about 45'lbs.
It's a tight fit for the top bolts, had to use a racheting wrench on the front bumper, and pulled it to where I thought it was about the 45lbs that I did the back ones. Then i went back and torqued them to roughly 70lbs. I then put the fairlead on.
Here's a shot of the bumper on the jeep and how the Sway bar cover and bumper matched up..
And a shot of the bumper on the jeep...
I had to quit for a little as I had to run and do some errands for the wife. When I got back, I went to work on the wiring. I wanted to mount the Solenoid over the motor of the winch, but after getting the bracket on, I found that the grill guard blocks the solenoid from being mounted there. So I put the center mount brackets back on and ended up mounting it over the rails of the cable spool.
I then ran the wires to the applicable connection. Wiring is simple, very simple and the instructions are very clear. The hardest part, was the ground connection on the bottom of the motor, a Very Tight place to work with my gorilla hands.
Another tough decision is the running of the power and ground cables to the battery. I have seen these wires ran several different ways, and I picked the "under the grill" Method as I just don't like running wires through the grill..just not clean looking to me. Here's a shot of the wiring, I am out of zip ties and loom..will have to visit the hardware store this week.
Next I hooked up the remote to test my wiring and to verify which way the winch spools. The remote is simple, but works as advertised. I have heard and read that it's not waterproof. Looking at it, I could see that it's not a piece of art, but it does do what it was designed to do, it spools the winch in and out...lol.
I bought the winch with Smittybilt's sythentic cable. I laid it out in the garage in an S Pattern, being sure to un-roll the spool as it was shipped. I then connected the end to the spool, ensuring the roped end fed into the spool the correct direction.
Next I put some a glove on my right hand and used my left to activate the winding of the cable. I didn't pull too hard this time as I was just wanting to straighten the cable up and practice on the feeding.
After it was all spooled on, I pulled it all back out. At first I tried the clutch on the side of the winch. That worked, but it's VERY hard to pull it out that way. So out engaged the clutch and used the remote to feed out the cable. I laid it back on the garage floor back in the S pattern.
This time I stood about 5 feet away and started the winch in to spool the cable back. On this pass, I wrapped the cable around my hand like a rappelling rope so that I could control the tension and pull the cable tight. It wound very easily and I only had to stop a couple of times to correct the winding. I don't have any clevis rings yet, so I hooked the cable to one of the clevis mounts, all done.
So now for the review....go to next page....lol