My 2001 Sahara in Sienna - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2001 Sahara in Sienna

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-04-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My 2001 Sahara in Sienna

Well, I've always wanted a Jeep. My fiance decided that she was going to get a new JK while I was gone to Iraq. She emailed me and showed me the pix and I decided I wanted a TJ. Once I came home on leave, I started looking around for a Rubi, but there were none in town. I stumbled on this TJ on Craigslist and fell in love. I'll post more photos as they come, but this is all I had time to take on leave.

and from the front

It already had a RE 3.5" lift and 33x12.50 MT Baja MTZs that were brand new. 81,100 miles and the interior looks immaculate. It has the D44 upgrade in the back with 3.73s. I put a AirAID intake on it the day I bought it. I plan on regearing it to 4.10 and adding an OX locker in the rear. Going to redo the fender flares and replace the front and rear bumpers and add a tire carrier that will hold a 33" tire w/o bending. It's going to be a work in progress as I have gotten bored with my truck. My truck is pictured below.

I've done the following to it:

2005 Silverado 1500 Z71
6" BDS Suspension & 3" BDS Body Lift
35" Cooper STT M/T Tires on 17" Rock Crawler Steelies
4.56 Yukon Gears
AirAID Intake and Throttle body spacer w/ Flowmaster 40 series exhaust
Hypertech HyperPAC Programmer
In-Dash DVD w/500 watts pushing 10s under the back seat
Smittybuilt Brush Guard
xTreme Wracks Lightbar
Lots o' KC HiLite

Disco69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any thoughts of what should be done to this thing?
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
J-B
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like your on the right track. I would put some new bumpers on it and rocker guards. Welcome to the jeep community!
(glad you went with a tj)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/e...ammy-j-935630/
J-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
AlTheKillerr

what do you plan to do with it? rocks mud snow
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not a whole lot of rock crawling around Alaska that I know of. Probably mostly mud/snow and the occasional rocky trail if I can find one.
Unread 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
AlTheKillerr

oil pan/tranny skid, lockers from and rear and a winch would be my next move
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you regear it at least go to 4.56's. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 wouldn't even be worth the money. Nice TJ though and thank you for your service.
Unread 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just got quoted for axle regear and locker install....

It was for a 4.56 Yukon Gears, Detroit Locker in the rear and an Eaton Elocker in the front....$4000...does that sound stupid to anyone else?
[CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]3.5" RE Superflex Suspension Lift -|- RE Adjustable Trackbar -|- 35x12.50 STTs on Eagle Alloy 15x10s-|- D30 w/ ARB and Superior Outer Axle Seals -|- D44 w/ Detroit Locker -|- Superior 4.88s -|- ROKMEN Mercenary Front Bumper -|- ROKMEN Sliders -|- Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier -|- Warn M8000 Winch -|- JKS 1.25" BL -|- JKS 1" MML -|- Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks -|- OME Stabilizer -|- ARB OBA -|- MetalCloak Arched Front Tube Fenders[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767168"]My Build Thread[/URL][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sienna Jeep Club Member #29[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="www.frozenaxles.com"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]FROZEN AXLES[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Offroad[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 05-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
nwiTJdave

price seems pretty stiff.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

EXTREMELY stiff. Around here, it's $1,000 total. Definitely go 4.56 or lower if you're expecting larger tires. 4.88 is common for 35s. If you want it to look better, remove the bumper end caps up front and the side steps...both of those items are pretty wimpy. You could also color the rings around the headlights black. A new rear bumper with tire carrier should be high up on that list of yours....that heavy 33 will sag that tailgate over time. And, you could look at something like Currie steering if you want some beefier front end equipment. With the D44 in the back, you can run 35s. If you want to strengthen the axles and really add some peace of mind, you could do a Superior Super D30 and D44. Something that's quite easy and well worth it--Alloy USA front axle seals. Easy as pie, $55 for a set, and functional. Forget about your engine ever getting better or more powerful....nothing will help. Just run fresh plugs (double platinum in your case--Autolite APP985 highly recommended) and keep up with oil changes. Your engine is distributorless in case you haven't noticed yet, hence the need for double platinum plugs. Great looking rig man, and yeah, trucks are boring.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
gribbles
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
EXTREMELY stiff. Around here, it's $1,000 total. Definitely go 4.56 or lower if you're expecting larger tires. 4.88 is common for 35s. If you want it to look better, remove the bumper end caps up front and the side steps...both of those items are pretty wimpy. You could also color the rings around the headlights black. A new rear bumper with tire carrier should be high up on that list of yours....that heavy 33 will sag that tailgate over time. And, you could look at something like Currie steering if you want some beefier front end equipment. With the D44 in the back, you can run 35s. If you want to strengthen the axles and really add some peace of mind, you could do a Superior Super D30 and D44. Something that's quite easy and well worth it--Alloy USA front axle seals. Easy as pie, $55 for a set, and functional. Forget about your engine ever getting better or more powerful....nothing will help. Just run fresh plugs (double platinum in your case--Autolite APP985 highly recommended) and keep up with oil changes. Your engine is distributorless in case you haven't noticed yet, hence the need for double platinum plugs. Great looking rig man, and yeah, trucks are boring.

He was quoted 4k for gears, lockers and install. Labor can be anywhere from $250 an axle to $500, we got lucky with the $250

So say hes getting labor for $250
$500 - labor
$500 - ring and pinion
$250 - install kits
$600 - detriot
$900 - elocker (I am sure they will charge extra to wire up the elocker too)
thats $2750

but thats on the low end for labor and high end for equipment, without taxes. I am sure stuff is more pricey in Alaska, but an extra grand seems excessive.

I would just check with multiple shops (if there are any) but you may be SOL if they are the only trust worthy shop around

My Jeep

2000 TJ, 100" wb on leaves
2007 WK CRD
gribbles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #12
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The plan is to paint the headlight bezels black along with the hardtop. The lockers on both axles will eventually happen. The handicap is that I live in Fairbanks, AK, so the diff shops know they can charge an arm and a leg for labor.
[CENTER][B][SIZE="1"]3.5" RE Superflex Suspension Lift -|- RE Adjustable Trackbar -|- 35x12.50 STTs on Eagle Alloy 15x10s-|- D30 w/ ARB and Superior Outer Axle Seals -|- D44 w/ Detroit Locker -|- Superior 4.88s -|- ROKMEN Mercenary Front Bumper -|- ROKMEN Sliders -|- Warn Rockcrawler Rear w/ Carrier -|- Warn M8000 Winch -|- JKS 1.25" BL -|- JKS 1" MML -|- Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks -|- OME Stabilizer -|- ARB OBA -|- MetalCloak Arched Front Tube Fenders[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767168"]My Build Thread[/URL][/COLOR]

[CENTER][URL="www.frozenaxles.com"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]FROZEN AXLES[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="Orange"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Offroad[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

Last edited by Disco69; 07-06-2009 at 02:09 PM..
Unread 05-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

Could you buy the lockers and gears before hand then have the shop install them?
Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also, when I had my truck regeared, for R/P and master install kit and labor, it was $2000 out the door.

I might just have to drive the 300 miles to Anchorage to have the TJ done. I'm quite sure prices will be a lot more reasonable down in the "big city"

Unread 05-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #15
Disco69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Alright, so I've settled on the Warn Front with a M8000 winch and grille guard. I'm torn between the Rampage recovery bumper w/carrier or the Warn one. Both have good reviews...

Shipping is gonna be $370...yikes!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.