My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap - Page 78 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #1156
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Okay, well I can speak with certainty that my front DS, fits in the back too. I've swapped them both out front to rear and vice versa, because I was trying to fix vibrations. The tom woods shaft is slightly shorter than the rear shaft, but they both work. (Tom woods is now in back, jeep shaft is in front. The TW is shorter, but does fit with no issues.

The "HD" refers to two things.
1) A non hack n tap flange on the transfer case... a Bolt on yoke that fits onto a heavy duty, shorter main tcase shaft.
2) A heavy duty drive shaft. The stock xj shaft has maybe 3 inches of splines, and a small machined shaft sliding assembly. The tom woods shaft has full length splines, and an overall thicker construction.
cool see even an old fart like me learns something new...i guess never had the issue with my shafts till after i was on 38's...i went from stock to 33's to 38's in about 3 mnths.. but i can still guarantee you will make it out of the woods in front wheel drive only long before you will in rear wheel drive only...i have tested this many times(in muddy nasty conditions only never in dry rocky terrain...
my experience in the past has been that the input shaft on the 231 is different than the 242 so my only experience with the 242s has been to rob and cannibalize bits and pieces in order to get back on the trails...just never seen a hd version...now im wondering if i can steal the pieces from an hd 242 case to upgrade a 231 for cheap...i just don't believe in too much bolt on...its an ego thing...no not really its a money thing...lol...thanks for not calling me a total DA...lol...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #1157
ThatONeJeePeR
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Any updates?
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #1158
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
.... the "np231-242-j" or which ever version you have(jeep cases) only come with 3 out of the available 6 planetary gears...the factory gear carrier cannot be modified, but if you go to the junkyard and get a "np31-242-c" full-size Chevy case(case bolt pattern not compatible) you can swap out the planetary gear assembly for the 6 gear setup...
VERY interesting!!! You've just given me something more to research.
I dont suppose you have a write-up of this do you?
(google searching now)
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #1159
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So I mentioned that my friend Dillon got me a Yakima Loadwarrior rack. It was worth the 40 bucks, but it needs major work.
When he found the rack, it had a surfboard mount on it... so I imagine this thing had tons of salt water leaking down onto it.

Two spots are really bad... One of the crossbars is rusted through. I might just ignore it, stop the rust and put a metal screen floor on the rack.

I want to mount back up lights, an LED light bar, and some shovel/axe mounts on it. So it will be great when finished, but it will need some work.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:53 AM   #1160
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finished the roof rack! This thing will get a 30 inch light bar, shovel and axe mounts, plus rotopax cans.

Untitled by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

The finish is duplicolor bed liner.
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #1161
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Finished! Really happy with how this rack panned out.

And a shot of the mounting- The plates are from a Thule roof box system. My dad bought spares for his Thule a while back and these were just sitting in the garage. Cost- $0.
The rack actually "hangs" from the roof rails. But this also makes it impossible to remove without removing the roof rail from the roof = security.

This also makes it mount about 3 inches lower than normal. Way better!
Unread 02-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #1162
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So the jeep is stuck at my work.

I got my rear axle used, the dude who sold it to me had it built with USA standard gears. The gear whine was horrible but the pattern was fine.

Somewhere between the last time I changed the gear fluid and now, one of bearings failed-

The gear oil came out like JB weld. Silver, chunky and burnt.

Next stop... new ring and pinion and install kit. I will do the install myself with the help of my supervisor- Master level Chrysler driveline technician.
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #1163
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So the jeep is stuck at my work.

I got my rear axle used, the dude who sold it to me had it built with USA standard gears. The gear whine was horrible but the pattern was fine.

Somewhere between the last time I changed the gear fluid and now, one of bearings failed-

The gear oil came out like JB weld. Silver, chunky and burnt.

Next stop... new ring and pinion and install kit. I will do the install myself with the help of my supervisor- Master level Chrysler driveline technician.
LAAAAME!!!! At least it didn't lock up on you on the freeway or something.
But it sounds like you'll be in good hands for the rebuild.
BTW...the rack looks awesome. Nicely done.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1164
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Exhaust vid.

I needed to shorten the shackle bolt, and grind the hitch a little.
What options did you choose on that?
XJkid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #1165
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Exhaust vid.

I needed to shorten the shackle bolt, and grind the hitch a little.
What options did you choose on that
Unread 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #1166
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oops sorry for the double post. My phone's being janky
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #1167
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01 View Post
Oops sorry for the double post. My phone's being janky
No worries. That is just the 2.5 inch pipe and the "baffled" muffler. I opted not to go with anything more expensive because that thing is basically a skid plate. Scratches and scrapes along the whole muffler.

It sounds good but because of my extended shackles, gas tank skid, and the big pipe, it was a pain to make fit, so I ended up cutting the turn down off, so it exits right before the bumper.
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #1168
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So because my radiator died on me back in like 2011... I had to do an emergency replacement at my old house in San Mateo. My dad and I literally did the swap in our empty house which had a for sale sign on the front lawn.

39c8ae4a by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Well, my ZJ transmission cooler had to be just hung up with a clothes hanger. I didn't have anything else. Ghetto.-

7389d237 by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

I never got around to fixing it. So while I'm waiting to buy my detoit and allow shafts for the rear axle, I took the time to fix this right.

Those little straps from Hayden were like 8 bucks... so I decided it was time to upgrade. 45 bucks got me this-
Three sizes bigger than the smallest they make.-

And since my old cooler was right behind the winch, now was the time to make it more efficient.

I had to remove-
-The solenoid box from the winch
-The winch from the bumper
-The headlight surrounds, and the grill
-The old cooler
-The e fan

The new cooler fits perfectly in front of the e fan. You can see the four plastic straps which go through the condenser, and radiator. Little foam pads between the cooler and condenser space it and make it so they don't rub.

Reassembled.
This allows a lot more air flow.

Unread 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #1169
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

And in other news-
Got my ring and pinion last monday. Went to take the damn thing apart- The carrier is worn out. The soupy metallic gear oil must have ground the wear surfaces down, the spider gears can be clunked up and down, and the cross shaft is loose inside the carrier. You can actually see where the hole in the carrier is beginning to mushroom out from the wear.

Also, the whole thing got so hot that the ends of the axles are burnished blue. Yikes.

I got it towed home. Couldn't keep it at work any longer.

The axle-

Coming home.

So besides the 300 I spent on gears and an install kit- I have to buy these.
Detroit and Ten factory shafts. No worries though! Might as well do it while it is apart.

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...3#.UwozbvldUQM

http://www.jeepinoutfitters.com/scri...6#.Uwozg_ldUQM
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:49 AM   #1170
96CherokeeXX

Amazing Xj man, I got a 96 Xj Classic that's pretty rough but I'm hoping to modify soon
96CherokeeXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.