My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 04-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #1141
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

very nice brother

Unread 08-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #1142
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Damn I need to update this... My dad's wj is my daily driver now. So the xj is now the weekend vehicle!

Needs a new exhaust manifold gasket. On the list.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #1143
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have retired my own XJ from DD status as well.... it's actually kind of nice.
I DO Miss driving it though.
But what I don't miss is the $40 in gas I was putting in it every other day.
Now you don't have to be QUITE as careful when you're offroad!
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #1144
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Dude seriously... Im daily driving my dad's wj now, it is officially mine, I did the lift, tires, and all the work on it for the last 4 years. He bought an 04 Overland.

Mine-

Onyx green pearlcoat, high output, it's getting the same 3 inch lift and rubicon wheels.
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #1145
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Onyx green pearlcoat, high output, it's getting the same 3 inch lift and rubicon wheels.
Oh yea.....you're gonna HAVE TO post up pics of that when its done!
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #1146
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

No major xj updates lately, I did tow with it last month. I was supposed to use the WJ, but of course, on the day I was supposed to move, the starter on the wj goes bad.

Did pretty well!

This week I plan on replacing the intake manifold gasket. It leaks SO badly.
Unread 08-28-2013, 01:39 AM   #1147
grYthshAde
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just gotta say man, I've read every page of this, front to back, and your Jeep is the reason I stopped lurking on this forum and actually made an account. I'm installing my 3" lift on my 1999 XJ Classic this thursday, and I think I'm going to start a build thread as well. What would your suggestions for a first time Jeeper trying you build a DD/weekend warrior be? I have the AW4 and NP242, and I'm installing a 3" Zone lift.
grYthshAde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #1148
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man!

My recommendation- You'll waste tons of money going small, then jumping to big. However it was a good learning process for me.

I did the 3.5 inch nearly 4 years ago, and just went bigger with tires as I could afford it, and when I finally got 4.56's.

Good luck man, if you have any specific questions, feel free.
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #1149
grYthshAde
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'll be starting a build thread sometime soon, as soon as I have the time/pics to do it. I know I'm gonna be wasting money going small to big, but I'm planning on going very big anyways. :P But I do have a few questions you might be able to answer right now.
1: I just installed the rear half of the lift kit yesterday (we didn't have time to do the front, a lot of things went wrong), but now I'm getting the dreaded vibes. I'm a n00b, but not a total n00b, I've read hours and hours of posts and threads all across the net on lifting Jeeps. But my specific question is, if I use this kit (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...t_Code=IR-XHNT) with a stock front driveshaft from an auto/242/97+ XJ, will that work? Or will I have to get a custom shaft made? I'm trying to stay cheap, and I've been to the junkyard enough to know how to rip things apart, so that's the best option for me. Will it work?
2: When I'm slowing down I'm getting an intermittent grinding noise coming from under me/the back of my Jeep. It did not happen before the rear lift, just started yesterday. Why? Is it related to the vibes? If not, what do?
Those are the two most pressing questions that I can't find answers for ANYWHERE. If you have any ideas, that would be amazing!
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #1150
grYthshAde
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Build thread, if you're wondering! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/madness-1569358/
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #1151
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh crap, sorry. I thought I replied.

The hack n tap kit is a very good option. I beat the hell out of my Rubicon Express Hackntap. No issues really, however I decided to JB weld the flange to the shaft, because there was a wobble I wasn't happy with. I think it was my own fault because I did not shim the axle properly, so it still vibed. That sounds ghetto, but it worked really well. (I had no money at the time, and I was just starting college haha)

I ended up scoring a Tcase from my buddy Mark (sharkxj) on naxja, it had 60k miles, and I was going to put a PORC HD sye into it.

Either way, you'll really enjoy having the same output shaft as the HD unit, (and yes that is the same output as the IRO kit), because you can then use the front and rear shafts interchangeably. If you pretzel the rear shaft on the trail, you can limp home by putting the front shaft in the back.
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1152
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A good friend and coworker of mine, Dillon, rear ended a truck a few weeks ago with his xj. Some crackhead ran into the street in Eureka, and the dude in front of him slammed on his brakes.

He smashed the front of his xj pretty bad, but I will help him rebuild it. As a thank you, he saw a yakima load warrior roof rack at the junk yard for 90 bucks, he haggled the dude down to $40 cash, and he bought it for my xj.

Since it isn't a DD anymore, I will put the basket on top (it has an extension too) after I repaint it. It will get a shovel mount, and lights. Maybe a cargo net too.

Should look like this-
Unread 10-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1153
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hear about your friends jeep man, that sucks..... hope everyone involved is alright.
Good news about the roof rack.... I DO like those load warrior racks though.... should look nice, it's gonna completely change the overall look of the XJ ... in a GOOD WAY!
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #1154
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post

Either way, you'll really enjoy having the same output shaft as the HD unit, (and yes that is the same output as the IRO kit), because you can then use the front and rear shafts interchangeably. If you pretzel the rear shaft on the trail, you can limp home by putting the front shaft in the back.
first off nice rigs...

ok I normally don't rant about too much stuff...but ive owned 11 xj's...done just about everything you could to one...and not one single one of them came with front and rear shafts that are even close to the same length...even with a sye kit you will still never get the front shaft to work in the rear(in my experience that is) unless you lengthen it...now I could be wrong(it has happened before, but I build all my shafts from the xj front shaft and have for years....I will say this though I am not familiar with the "HD" shaft of which you speak maybe it has a longer slipyoke...also having wheeled my rigs very hard and broken everything and I do mean everything..if you really want to get out of the woods after destroying rear shaft just remove it and drive out in front wheel you will get much further...
this I can say without a doubt, many times I have gone to the woods to play with out a rear driveshaft, but never the other way...even with the front open you can still almost get around as good as if you had 4wheel...one day when you have free time and want to learn some tricks I can give lots of recovery, positioning, navigation,and escape tips...I used to live 4 city blocks from some of the harshest trails in the midsouth.. I played every day and a lot with myself...umm I mean by myself...and luckily to date I have only had to have my rig drug out of the woods 4 times..1 time I put both front wheels under the front doors, second time I blew the motor(it had been smoking and knocking for about 3 years), third time I barrel rolled 5 times..no wait drove it home that day..so third time would be when I locked the tcase(I blew up the planetary gears...speaking of which, the "np231-242-j" or which ever version you have(jeep cases) only come with 3 out of the avalible 6 planetary gears...the factory gear carrier cannot be modified, but if you go to the junkyard and get a "np31-242-c" fullsize chevy case(case bolt pattern not compatible) you can swap out the planetary gear assembly for the 6 gear setup...and since you have/or wil have case off and apart for sye kit no biggie...ok well that's what I got...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #1155
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaknajeep View Post
first off nice rigs...

ok I normally don't rant about too much stuff...but ive owned 11 xj's...done just about everything you could to one...and not one single one of them came with front and rear shafts that are even close to the same length...even with a sye kit you will still never get the front shaft to work in the rear(in my experience that is) unless you lengthen it...now I could be wrong(it has happened before, but I build all my shafts from the xj front shaft and have for years....I will say this though I am not familiar with the "HD" shaft of which you speak maybe it has a longer slipyoke...also having wheeled my rigs very hard and broken everything and I do mean everything..if you really want to get out of the woods after destroying rear shaft just remove it and drive out in front wheel you will get much further...
this I can say without a doubt, many times I have gone to the woods to play with out a rear driveshaft, but never the other way...even with the front open you can still almost get around as good as if you had 4wheel...one day when you have free time and want to learn some tricks I can give lots of recovery, positioning, navigation,and escape tips...I used to live 4 city blocks from some of the harshest trails in the midsouth.. I played every day and a lot with myself...umm I mean by myself...and luckily to date I have only had to have my rig drug out of the woods 4 times..1 time I put both front wheels under the front doors, second time I blew the motor(it had been smoking and knocking for about 3 years), third time I barrel rolled 5 times..no wait drove it home that day..so third time would be when I locked the tcase(I blew up the planetary gears...speaking of which, the "np231-242-j" or which ever version you have(jeep cases) only come with 3 out of the avalible 6 planetary gears...the factory gear carrier cannot be modified, but if you go to the junkyard and get a "np31-242-c" fullsize chevy case(case bolt pattern not compatible) you can swap out the planetary gear assembly for the 6 gear setup...and since you have/or wil have case off and apart for sye kit no biggie...ok well that's what I got...
Okay, well I can speak with certainty that my front DS, fits in the back too. I've swapped them both out front to rear and vice versa, because I was trying to fix vibrations. The tom woods shaft is slightly shorter than the rear shaft, but they both work. (Tom woods is now in back, jeep shaft is in front. The TW is shorter, but does fit with no issues.

The "HD" refers to two things.
1) A non hack n tap flange on the transfer case... a Bolt on yoke that fits onto a heavy duty, shorter main tcase shaft.
2) A heavy duty drive shaft. The stock xj shaft has maybe 3 inches of splines, and a small machined shaft sliding assembly. The tom woods shaft has full length splines, and an overall thicker construction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.