My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap - Page 57 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2001 Jeep Xj Build- Rattletrap

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #841
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So my alternator died on monday.

I ordered one from kragen yesterday, and it came today. (No one stocks it)

I open the box- Its the wrong one! The box says 13906 (correct) but the alt has a sticker that plainly says 15906.

SOO pissed. They re-ordered it, but I wont have it till tuesday. Very lame.

srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:47 PM   #842
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to make a dual e fan set up, for more efficiency.

I used some 5/16-24 bolts for the fan pulley. It clears with about 1/4- 3/8ths of an inch.

I then used a piece of angle aluminum, slotted for the fan tabs, and screwed into the old radiator mount.

It uses the right most (passenger) side fan tab, and then the other side for structure.

I then used a piece of steel, normally used to tie wood pieces together, to hold the top on.

I had to remove the top radiator support (PITA without removing the front clip), in order to drill the bracket.
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #843
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

To finish-

I went to Oreilly's and stumbled upon a Hayden fan controller, part #3657.
It uses a probe that is stuck into the fins on the radiator. I like this, because I didn't have to do any plumbing, so it's more reliable. I really didn't expect it to be in stock, but there it was.

It is also adjustable, from 90-210 degrees. It has a little dial that can be turned.
All for $35 out the door. Not bad.

Right now, the fan kicks on below 210, runs for about 20 seconds, and turns off. It doesn't run hardly at all when there is decent airflow in the radiator.

I also wired it to a switch, so now I have 2 separate fan switches, as a fail safe.

The controller.

My favorite part- I used the factory pigtail from the junkyard jeep, and wired it to the controller. I also drilled the shroud so I could use the factory harness clip.

And my 2 switches.

It works well, but the controller is wired to the battery. This mean that the fan can kick on even when the key isn't in. I will fix this soon, by wiring to an ignition (on) source.

I also don't know how long my fan will last. It's old!

I definitely feel like the motor spools faster.
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #844
Dbiked
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would leave it so that it could kick on without the key, as long as it doesnt have anyother lights or dodads that would just be a pointless paracitic drain. Because at least with mine, the heat soak used to be terrible! And i wonder how it will be with it as just e-fans. Just a thought.

Nice job all around though! I love that you used the factory pigtail! That is how i LOVE to see stuff done! And super clean engin bay, how do you keep it so nice? haha
Utah jeep crew member #32
Dbiked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #845
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Haha thanks man. I was moving some stuff today, I parked the jeep in our driveway. The fan kicked on about 2 times for 15 seconds each, within a 2 minute period, then I think it was done.

I'm obsessed with clean work man. Some of the wiring isn't perfect, but I can fix it later. I'm picky about using conduit! Exposed wires are at risk of abrasion, and it just looks hack.

I clean the engine bay after every wheeling trip, and I rinse it often.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #846
AeroSync
2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks awesome so far man. Remember how I told you your XJ was an inspiration for mine? Well I finally got some Moabs. I hope you don't mind if I post a picture of what seeing your build has led me to appearance wise. I still need to to the fender mod you did because I have 4" of lift with 285/75/16:

Unread 04-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #847
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Dude, that looks awesome.

Get yourself some gears, 3.55's suck.

And Im jealous of the 33's. Nice.
Unread 04-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #848
Mtb Jak
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Love that fan set-up, I might have to do it soon!
Mtb Jak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #849
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if you posted, but what fans did you use? I'm interested in doing this on the rig xj.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #850
JeepStar007
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Hey how did that duplicolor bedliner hold up?
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_| lllllll|

{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
JeepStar007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2011, 02:32 PM   #851
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The duplicolor works great.

Thanks guys. It is my stock 2001 e fan, and a matching one from a 98 xj.

I took it on a 100 mile trip yesterday (55 miles of uphill dirt trail too) and it got a little warmer than usual, but on steep climbs I turned one of the fans on, and the thermostatic fan rarely turned on. I only creeped past 210 on the most gnarly hills.

My rig weighs about 4100lbs, and we had 5 people inside. We were probably pushing 4900 lbs with tools and gas, so I'd say the fans work. and with 4.56 gears I NEVER have to floor it or anything.

Awesome scenery too.

A little dirty.

And if you'd like to google where we went, the trip was from Arcata CA, to Bridgeville Ca.
All lumber/backroads.
Final stop.
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #852
AeroSync
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice trip. The scenery is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
Dude, that looks awesome.

Get yourself some gears, 3.55's suck.

And Im jealous of the 33's. Nice.
Thanks man! 4.56s eventually since Miami has no hills to worry about.
Unread 04-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #853
justanotherjpr

As always, nice work. Interested to see how the fans work in the heat with the ac on. Might be able to ditch my Taurus fan for a stock XJ one!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #854
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks.

I probably wouldn't want to sit in traffic in 80 degree heat with the a/c on, but considering that I was cruising up some big hills, very slow, pushing almost 5000 lbs, and the defroster on, it'd probably be ok.

It's amazing though, around town and on the freeway, the ram air effect is enough to cool the radiator without any fans. My area is freaking cold all the time though.

If I run the switches and turn both fans on, the temp drops WAY below 210.
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #855
JeepSpeed18
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep is looking good man. Mine is going through a lot of work to get it ready for Moab in may. I'm going for a grad gift. She is gonna be locked and all fixed up.
_\_/==== |; _\\ \\_|;
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

96 Jeep Cherokee 4" lift with 32" KM2's
94 Jeep Cherokee 3" lift with 29's!

JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket my life moto. :)

White Jeep Club Member #109

Jessie The Jeep (lots of pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
But yeah my 4.0 has been hydrolocked twice, ran upside down for 7 seconds it still keeps coming back for more. its like that crazy ex-girlfriend that just wont quit..but unlike her, its a good thing haha
JeepSpeed18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.