My 2000 XJ trail rig build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > My 2000 XJ trail rig build

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 03-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

My 2000 XJ trail rig build

ok here is the story, a buddy of mine had this jeep and was looking to sell it, so i said why not. i was thinking about fixing and selling it, but after doing some pricing for everything i would need then to have it inspected to get a clear title i didnt figure i could make any money on it, so i started having thoughts of the 94 i had before and am just gonna make it a trail rig.

it is a 2000 with 158k and about 1% rust! ( all the parts that i wont need will be up for sale!)

this is about what i am looking to do to it in the long run

(this is a buddys that i wheel with)

here are most pics for now inside and out, and i am gonna try to make a couple in paint to show were are ll the little stress spots are.

some of these will be out of order but here they come..

busted power steerig pully and elec fan

door is overlaping a little..

look, no rust!!!

one of the biggest spots! this thing is about as rust free as my car.. and better than my jeep even..

the pinch seam on my car is worse!

rust free hatch!

look how clean for a 2000!

you could eat off this thing!

just snow off my boots on the drivers side, it looks as good as the back!

worst part is the dash were the bags blew.

Unread 03-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

the worst part that dont have to do with the front

a little damage on the front door from getting i open and from hitting the fender while opening

it is not as bad as this pic looks but there are a few kinks in ther

and i am thinking that this about the most that has ever been in there!

and i got this the other day too, just need spacers for it and both ends will pull!

will have more updates as it happens!
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok, some updates. i have like 3 or 4 projects going at once and i will try to limit out the non jeep stuff.

pulled the jeep in so we could get the pulley swapped on and make it more movable.

New and what was left of the old

Somehow putting it on we broke a small chip out of the lip. But I don't think it will hurt any

Started filling the radiator up. But it was leaking on the bottom were we couldn't see so we pulled it off to see if it was something we could jb weld. But were it was broken along the seam and pulled back ( main crack is along the top in the pic, and it was pulled away some going down the left side in the pic)

So now it looks really naked on the front. After I took this we pulled the other fender also.

The only other things I have of relevance for now is I found I have the turd axle of a d35.

And that somehow my stock wheels off my old xj were still at my buddys house so I am going to mount them on for now so I can trade him the stockers for some aftermarket wheels he has. He plans on putting the jeep wheels on his trailer .

ok so I got a couple things done. And another project confirmed ! I started out by getting over and getting the wheels changed on the jeep. I am putting these on for now so I can trade Kenny for some others he has. He is gonna use these for trailer and I will use what he has, or these for all I care.

While changing them I got a call confirming the next step on deals!

It is even modded nicely! But it is strictly a parts ***** as it is falling apart underneath . But basically I should be able to rape it sell some and use the rest and have our jeep locked,lifted,and modded and not only cheap but possibly make money doing it!! I will explain how in detail later. But here is the mod list.

Very rusty floor panels and frame, driveable, but I wouldn't wheel it anymore.
31x1050 duratracs 3/8" tread - powder coated rims
4.0 auto 231
Dana 30 with lockrite
Chrysler 8 1/4 with powertrax no slip 27 spline
4" lift mix of Rustys and Rough Country. Adjustable lca's.
171xxx miles
Drive train all works good, except air.
$750.00

And so far I have a locker ( probably the one I got cheap recently( that i will have parts for on the way cheap!!)) And the t-case sold for 300. Leaving 550. I figure the shell should be almost 200 in scrap leaving 350, and I would still have the motor/ trans and tires to sell which I am sure I can sell for probably 300 each. Not to mention stuff like header panel and other odds and ends. Which to me says positive on the dollars and I get to keep the lift and just about anything else I want!

look at some 33" mickey claws and Gonna try to get the truck sorted out tomorrow as well as possibly try to pull the carpet from the jeep as I may be able to sell it to someone close to were the other jeep is .
Unread 04-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

OK so the day stared early as I rode with Kenny to pick up some tires after dropping his kids off to school . The wheels look like older yj wheels to me and I don't plan on using them as I am sure it would make them rub.

33x12.5x15 mickey Thompson Baja claw. Just like I had on the old one just bigger. ( and in the pics the same size as the ones on the b2, and the little brother to the 35 version on the sploder)

I also didn't realize that the black wheels on the b2 are my old wheels that I ran on it. And I have the stock wheels off or on the jeep now!

One of them is half groved to give some extra life, I figure I can finish it and do the one other that is low and have some pretty good tread.

here is what was offered..

and it followed me home!

it looks really decent overall

a little ding

but real decent overall

and the tires look amazing

but the underside is not so good

this side was bad enough that he patched it so it woudlnt fall apart

and as promised, i gave the snow hill a blast fresh off the trailer

and to compare with my jeep.. and i did a bone head thing and was not paying attention and as i was backing into position i backed into the red truck!.. ooopppss

Unread 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

and here it is with the other xj that will be reciving it's parts.

getting kinda crowded around dads right now, i have 4 of my projects currently ( and three are jeeps!)

sad it looks so good with what i am gonna do!

seeing it sitting there next to the merc, makes me really want to see the merc with the wheels/tires off the jeep on it!

and as for the buisness end of it, i will come out very well on it all which will help greatly in paying for parts to fix and sell the tracker and paying for the 00' xj !

spent
750 - 96 xj
125 - fuel

a buddy is buying a slew of items and funding a good part of it at this point. and as well as he is awsome enough to front some cash and is a good buddy he is getting some pretty decent prices.

is getting

front locker
t-case
wheels/tires

all for 600 wich we both thought was pretty fair.

so i have 275 invested so far and here is how i see a good share of the rest breaking down roughly, and there may be some other items too, but here are the major parts guesses..

left to sell

price before is what i will ask, and price on right will be about the lowest i will take unless a special deal

300 rear axle complete with locker 250
500 motor/trans 300
200 shell for scrap ( however heavy it is at time of scrap)
200 rear hatch 50

and whatever other little things that i figure i can

and i am going to use the following from the 96 on the 00

lift kit - direct swap
radiator - if not same i will sell and buy correct. as the 96 has a 3 year old rad.
front high pinion d30 with locker. - and sell the low pinion d30 in the 00 ( the high pinion is a fair bit better, plus locker)
doors- either full or cut to half if they will fit ( and i think i can make it happen)
seats - swap so i can sell the good ones
stereo - has a half decent pioneer and i will swap and sell the stock one in the 00
front tow hooks- or at least the plates used to support them,
trailer hitch - is 6 mos old, and will use at least the braces from them for support for whatever we put.

and in addition to the rest i am allready selling off the 00 i will sell the rear axle and use some profits and get a for 8.8 with disk and swap it in and weld it up. which will make about the last thing i will have to buy, but i am buying with profits so still not bad! and will pay for better rear axle as well as the tires we are putting on it.

and extra bonus... he gave me an extra set of wheels, that happen to have usable tires. wich are at least $40 in just scrap!

and as for the progress from friday..

i got a fair bit of stuff done on the 96, got it stripped down enough that all needs to be done is pull the radiator and strip off the axles and doors and such. and it will be ready for the yard soon ish if i can keep up the progress.

the two jeeps are starting to look alot alike!

got all the seats out, these will go in the 2000 for us to use and not care about, which they are in perfect shape for!

got the dash/stereo out (will put the pioneer from this in the 00'

but pull the carpet up and you find a very common issue with the xj's even more so those from the rust belt

front driver floor

rear driver floor

got the wheels and tires off

here are the ones he gave me as extra's, not the greatest but kennys dad is gonna put them on his 94 sploder for the summer

as it sits for now

Unread 04-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

It looks like I may be buying another 96 Cherokee !!!

Not to bad on the outward look, but...... not sure were to start the pics. So here goes!!

Under the carpet in back seat

Ummm spring not really doing much me thinks!!

And for those that know there should be a "pocket" under the back sear. And it is the top of the spring hanger and eye of the spring that is pushing the carpet up!!!!

This is going to be a simple snatch and grab project . Rip out its heart and legs and scrap what is left. But one of the best parts is it has MANUAL windows !! So those will be going on the 00. As well as keeping some spare parts like front axle radiator and a few other items.

Investing price $400. Will break it down as stuff sells and get prices on things

And as another treat I came home ( by way of dads that is on the way) to this!!

Rear axle is sold. And the guy even came at took it out him self!

So far

900ish- purchase- fuel to get

And sold

300- wheels/tires
150- t-case
150- for the other d30 locker
100-fender and front parts
200-rear axle

That makes the 900 buy in and there is still the motor/trans/body ( about 500 if to guess) to get rid of. As well as all the stuff I am keeping!! ( about 300+ )

Planning on ripping the drive train out of the white one Monday and possibly the suspension. So it can either go to scrap. Or get cut up to go for scrap.

Post more after it happens!
Unread 04-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

and here is the latest addition, just for parts and to sell some things.

here is a big item that will get swapped over

am going to take the rubber mats out of here and screw them to the floor of the 00 after the carpet comes out.`

Not too much update but here is what I got !

Its on stilts

ok, so i didnt grab as many pics as i thought i did, but here is how yesterday went

and for the part i know you where waiting for! i got the axle out and swapped, with the lift spings installed on the front. and it is how it is going to be for a little bit. i am gonna snag the tack bar and some other stuff, and i think i need to shorten the lower links some to get the pinion back in line a bit but here is the results so far!

before

after

before

after

also have what i am going to use as a trans cooler

the funny part is it is even a mopar part! i think i was an ac condenser for a zj grand cherokee

started getting some of the interior taken out too

and a final parting shot for the day!

Unread 04-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Sourlemon
1996 ZJ 

Wow! How do you keep track of all the stuff going on at your house??
Unread 04-19-2014, 03:13 AM   #9
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

Just one of the talents I get from my dad I think! No I honestly mean that. He was a farm boy for many years and all of my life he has been a mechanic and a wrecker service .

And like I said I have several projects and have edited out just the jeep stuff to post here! I have just learned how to prioritize and do what needs first .

Here is a list of what all I actually have going on right now

The 3 xj's obviously - one is being built - one is donating lift/lockers/ seats / and a few other items as well as making a Couple bucks - the third is donating the doors and a few other spare parts and is otherwise just paying for itself then sent to become soda cans.

the blue mountaineer in a few of the shots has had some work and I got running after several years of sitting in a field, as I bought it to fix a bit and sell. Purely a money making effort. If not fixable it will suffer the same fate as the two jeeps and have its organs ripped out and crushed

Not pictured is a 90 laser that in swapped the motor in and have been fighting to keep running since last fall- this is being traded for a fiero in about 2 weeks

96 tracker that the jeep is replacing was a project last fall as well, but has either head or intake casket issues and is in line to be fixed and sold to help pay for the main jeep.

Also over last fall and through some of this time I stripped and parted a 00 grand Prix gtp for a friend .

And all that is on top of the regular vehicle maintenance on my avalanche, wife's grand Prix 40th anniversary, and a good friends Malibu and helping others were I can.

Still on the list to be done is

Summer prep/ maintenance on my goldwing i for last fall, as well as the wifes FZ6.

My grand Prix needs the motor rebuilt again to be a summer beater ( modified of course!)

The fiero I don't have yet

Get my 68 wagoneer up and actually going ( I have a very old thread on it too here)

Finish getting parts for the wife's 91 camaro - I am swapping most of the drivetrain in it. From 305-700r-2.73. To mild 355-fresh shift kit 700r-3.73 posi

After all that will be restore my 72 lemans that was my first car that I have held onto

All that and just since the first if the year I have

Worked 72's for two months

Moved my mother in law as she was kicked out and getting divorced

Helping my sister in law with her house /car / and his truck and nova upkeep as her husband passes away about 3 weeks ago

And my wife has been to several Dr appointments 2 root canals and no less than 3 ER visits ( er have been after he passes away)

And a few days ago I learned how to rip a toilet up and fix it. !

And even with all of that it don't cover the rebuilding of dads cobalt ( bought wrecked and we fixed it last summer ) or any of the other projects I have helped him or others with , or the truck rebuilding ( replacing box, doghouse , and rockers ect ) on his two trucks coming up.

But I have it all straight and 98% of it is in my head! It just makes me a busy busy guy!
Unread 04-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
Sourlemon
1996 ZJ 

Definitely a talent to be proud of! I can't imagine getting around to all of them all the time... We have 6 cars at our house, and even that is too much!
Unread 04-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

OK so some progress made!

Not sure if I posted pic of it yet. But here will be the new rear 8.8

And Here is the good stuff! I will let the pics speak for themselves for now!

That's right!!

It will remain doorless till I can get the green doors off and prepped for it. Now that the doors are off the hinges I am going to cut the hinges apart and get them off and remount the one half on the new doors in a way that I can take them off easy!

As well as I have someone picking the old doors up today for $300. And I will picking up his old doors in a week when I go swap the laser / fiero out as he lives close to there.

My plan as of now is to hit the junk yard And gather some more door side of the hinges and mount them to his doors then cut them down into half doors that are removable. And if that plan goes to crap then they are more scrap weight!

Am planning on trying to get the drive train ripped out of that 96 on Monday / Tuesday . As well as the little things and possibly get it hauled off for scrap.

And hopefully get to swapping the rear stuff soon too..

And I found a good spot to keep the doors for now too.

Unread 05-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #12
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

got some done

dad was a busy guy tho. he swapped in the rad in the jeep, not complete as we need to hook up trans cooler and connect the trans lines and put the electric fan in yet. but we can run it longer that a few moments at a time now!

So been getting lot done these past couple days! Happy happy!

Friday started late in the day as the wife had me doing a bunch of stuffs in the morning. But made pretty good progress once we got at it.

First thing we did was get the drive train out of the jeep!

Getting a pile of parts !

Went to the house and kicked the laser outside and moved some stuff and set the jeep motor in there

Then I got the sheet metal sides off the stove and dryer.

This morning we grabbed quite a bit if stuff out of the shop and loaded in it and on it and away we went !

Unread 05-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #13
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

First thing is first got it then get the fender flares off as well as the bumper end caps and started some actual rust

Then we separated some leaves!!

Notice the difference in arch between these two we use the one with more arts as well as the add a leaf and well you can see the results

then they dad slid under there and got to work!

Bolted on the big meat and back to buy my truck to unload the stuff in the back

In comparison to the avalanche is actually pretty damn big

Then we hit the ditch for some testing, of which I thought looked great

So we moved and try to the other ditch the rear tire is actually off the ground so this is as much flex as possible especially not having Rear shocks on

It rubs pretty good both front and rear I definitely have some trimming and some BFH to do but this is completely untrimmed with no bump stops or anything

Then I did some comparison pictures just for the fun of it and I tell you what I was surprised. This little thing is a beast just remember the Jeep has about another 3 or 4 inches of lift just from tires but other than that it is damn close

Also receive some free goodies these are the same LED tail lights used in semi trucks . I think I am going to get the rubber grommets and the wire harness and m2 of them in the body on either side where the original tail lights were in the Jeep

Unread 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok so i have been busy, and updates are copy and past that i made on another fourm, but here they are!

Well not too much to report on for yesterday but some good progress was made!

Started out by trimming the rear fenders up a bit. Made some good clearance. I used the cut and fold method. And gained about 1 3/4 inches of clearance. ( the extra was from pounding on it)

Before

After

One happy girl! We did some text flexing and such but forgot my phone in the shop so no pics

I also got the green one over to dads and grabbed a few little things off it to put I'm the white one. And to get ready to strip

and from here it gets into the first wheeling trip and is alot of everything. enjoy

ok mega post!!!

but here is the weekend!

got the tracker and the jeep ready to go. moved the front brake lines on the xj and the temp sensor on the tracker and a little "testing" on thursday.

parked it by the jeep for comparison sake

got it loaded and headed to kennys for some better testing to see what was up with the cooling issue, (dumped some stop leak in there to see if it would help)

figured out the issue is the cooling system is being pressurized, figuring cracked head or most likely a blown head gasket. as it pushes the water out of the rad into the overflow, but being it is full it just dumps it out. but as long as i keep putting water (coolant) in it keeps cool so i figured i would run it till it died.

having time left over we went and loaded the jeep to do a "pre run" on it, just to check and make sure all was good and to let her get a little used to driving it before we threw her into the big trails.

while there ken brought out the b2 for some testing too! ( father and son. son we call kenny, and dad is ken)

and to take a peek at where we are headed to !

she did some more driving and was loving it!

Unread 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #15
greenbeater
1968 FSJ Wagoneer 

during testing we spotted this and thought it was cool

baja from our claws!

and as we parked them till sat!. i came over friday and got the buckle of the seat belts put in tho. and a "grill" for light brush.

and now for the fun part! the main event! i wont post all pics here as i uploaded like 175 or so but i will put many good ones and a link to the photobucket for those that want to look.

they are not in any particular order as there was alot going on and was busy snapping pics and driving. and they did not load in order. but here we go!

baasman's rig. stock zj on 31' duratraks off the 96 and welded rear, trimming, swaybar delete, and v8 power!

and a bunch of stuck!

this was my pass floorboard while in the water

and those of us that had rigs that gave up

trying human power to upright ( my brother that can be seen above while in the mud was dangling by the seatbelt btw!)

jenn was there and we strapped it and got it upright

kenny climbed in and got it back off there.

but i was not the only one!

and we both went on beating them for hours afterword!

and just more random cool ****

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.